Why become a member? ×

The Making of YYZ

merello

Wasn't aware they had this DVD. Brilliant.
Agree it would be nice to hear / see more of the gear Geddy uses rather than just his bass.

He has an incredable sound from whatever bass he uses and sometimes wonder if its his own making or the sound guy that getting it set up for him.
Maybe his personal engineer or bass tech sets it all up - who knows ?

MORE DETAIL PLEASE GEDDY

Dave

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1345271129' post='1775701']
He has an incredable sound from whatever bass he uses and sometimes wonder if its his own making or the sound guy that getting it set up for him.
Maybe his personal engineer or bass tech sets it all up - who knows ?

MORE DETAIL PLEASE GEDDY[/quote]

I'm not Geddy, but [url="http://community.avid.com/blogs/avid/archive/2011/07/11/final-rush-rehearsals-geddy-lee.aspx"]here's more detail[/url].

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1345271761' post='1775703']
I'm not Geddy, but [url="http://community.avid.com/blogs/avid/archive/2011/07/11/final-rush-rehearsals-geddy-lee.aspx"]here's more detail[/url].
[/quote]

Flippin' ek. And here was me thinking it all came from his Fender and Orange amp. Silly me ! :rolleyes:

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1345271761' post='1775703']
[/quote]

Thanks Wateroftyne,
Its just the kind of thing that makes Geddy more personal and why I've been a Rush fan since 1976.
But does he actually buy all this gear himself and try it all out at home sort of thing or does his engineer come up with an idea and puts it to Geddy.
Maybe i need to re-read it again in case i missed soemthing.
It does sound as though he knows exactly what he wants.

A lot of the gear mentioned i have never even heard of. :huh: :o

Thanks again
Dave

I've always been a fan of prog, but other than Spirit of Radio I've never really given Rush much of an earfull (I've owned Permanent Waves for years but not listened to it all, bad man that I am). However, thanks to Planet Rock and the new album I have arrived at Rushville and I'm loving it. Late to the party I know, but at least I got here eventually :) They seem to be really nice guys too, very comfortable with each other. Thanks for posting Merello

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1345271129' post='1775701']Agree it would be nice to hear / see more of the gear Geddy uses rather than just his bass.[/quote]

[i][color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]"Geddy Lee’s bass sound is a combination of five channels, which represent various aspects of an entire bass sound, and run from clean to distorted-beyond-all-reason. The two main components of his sound are an Avalon DI and a Palmer DI. The Avalon is warm with a punchy midrange, and the Palmer is super clear with an extended low end. The last three channels are all distorted to one degree or another. There’s an instantiation of Eleven dialed up to sound like an old Fender Bassman—slightly distorted, but not crazy. There’s a SansAmp, which is more distorted and further down in the mix. Then there’s an Orange amp, which we run off to a bass cab backstage and throw another Palmer PDI-03 on. It’s cranked wide open and is preposterously distorted. It sits in the back of the bass mix. All of this gets sub-grouped, compressed, and run into an instantiation of Waves API 550A EQ."[/size][/font][/color][/i]

[color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3] [/size][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Riggghhhht... So I should be able to get pretty close to that with a GL jazz then? :rolleyes: :blink: :D[/size][/font][/color]

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1345735795' post='1781083']
[i][color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]"Geddy Lee’s bass sound is a combination of five channels, which represent various aspects of an entire bass sound, and run from clean to distorted-beyond-all-reason. The two main components of his sound are an Avalon DI and a Palmer DI. The Avalon is warm with a punchy midrange, and the Palmer is super clear with an extended low end. The last three channels are all distorted to one degree or another. There’s an instantiation of Eleven dialed up to sound like an old Fender Bassman—slightly distorted, but not crazy. There’s a SansAmp, which is more distorted and further down in the mix. Then there’s an Orange amp, which we run off to a bass cab backstage and throw another Palmer PDI-03 on. It’s cranked wide open and is preposterously distorted. It sits in the back of the bass mix. All of this gets sub-grouped, compressed, and run into an instantiation of Waves API 550A EQ."[/size][/font][/color][/i]
[/quote]

That's a lot of effort to achieve such a crappy tone...!