Why become a member? ×

I miss my Stingray....

nottswarwick

I miss my first decent bass which was Jap Jodee P Bass copy in black with a maple neck - The classic look. It also played and sounded great. It was nicked and it felt ages before I got another decent bass.

I have been the proud owner of a EB MM Stingray for many years and and am quite happy with it (sorry to rub it in).

I've had two, and while I love the look of them and I'd have another if I had a shedload of spare cash (I guess it'd be about number 15 on the Want List, given unlimited funds), I never really warmed to either of mine. Dingwalls and P/J Frankenthings for me...

Since the day I bought my first bass I have sold a grand total of 4 basses. I'm lucky in that I don't have to answer to anyone else regarding what I do I do with my money or storage space. However if I did and I still had raging GAS I'd have a 3 bass policy. One as my main bass, one as my back-up and one as my trading bass - in that order of how much I liked them. A new bass would have to be better than my back up bass to be kept.

The 4 basses that I have sold al seemed like good ideas at the time I bought them, but none were ultimately worth keeping and I don't miss any of them. I am however gearing up for a clear out of most of my 4-string basses. I might miss a couple of these and those that also exist in 5-string versions will be replaced if possible, but I see little point in feeling nostalgic for an instrument I don't play any more.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1344963580' post='1771732']
Since the day I bought my first bass I have sold a grand total of 4 basses. I'm lucky in that I don't have to answer to anyone else regarding what I do I do with my money or storage space. However if I did and I still had raging GAS I'd have a 3 bass policy. One as my main bass, one as my back-up and one as my trading bass - in that order of how much I liked them. A new bass would have to be better than my back up bass to be kept.

The 4 basses that I have sold al seemed like good ideas at the time I bought them, but none were ultimately worth keeping and I don't miss any of them. I am however gearing up for a clear out of most of my 4-string basses. I might miss a couple of these and those that also exist in 5-string versions will be replaced if possible, but I see little point in feeling nostalgic for an instrument I don't play any more.
[/quote]

so I can put it in context.... how many do you have?

I can imagine your sale threads for the four strings, well more the comments "I've never heard of one of them", "it's made of what? I didn't know instruments were made of that" and the "oh do you have anything more normal (i.e. fender) looking"

btw I like your 3 bass rule. I had something similar but just couldn't justify the 3rd at the time. and it would have to be damn good to upset one of the other two, so went down to 2. A 3rd sometime would be fun :)

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1344962436' post='1771706']
So why did you get rid of it?

There must have been a good reason at the time?
[/quote]

Well, I was trying amps out with it, and then was handed a couple of other basses to try, and the inevitable trade deal was struck.

Don't get me wrong, the MTD is great, but, you know, out on the gig, I have always got the sounds I need from a Ray. It must be noted that I don't really like the Ray sound solo, but in the band it works

[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1344949818' post='1771512']
I was thinking about trading mine for a P bass....maybe I should be thinking twice about that :huh:
[/quote]

If anyone is thinking of this, try whacking a set of flatwounds on your Ray (preferably EB group 3s cos they have v similar tension to rounds) and then thump it like a P bass - you will find you have no further need to change bass plus, a mere tweek of the EQ will take you back towards sizzle tone, if you want it - and you will avoid regrets like Nottswarwick's.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1344953880' post='1771577']
yay +100000
[/quote]

Good evening Grand Wazoo - I do remember the days long ago when a certain trans red SR5 was your baby but I accept you've moved on since then - but why oh why did you use spectacles that make normal bass necks look like they have wonky frets :-D .............only joking - they must sound great........and I must try one sometime.

Edited by drTStingray

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1344981339' post='1772090']
Good evening Grand Wazoo - why oh why did you use spectacles that make normal bass necks look like they have wonky frets :-D .............only joking - they must sound great........and I must try one sometime.
[/quote]

Yes indeedy!

[IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r200/xt660/292429a8.jpg[/IMG]

Edited by Grand Wazoo

Yep......I miss my SR4 so much. I will have another when funds allow. Selling seemed like the 'sensible' idea at the time as it wasn't being used much (my Jazz was my go to bass) and I wanted the cash to upgrade the suspension on my motorbike. Ended up not upgrading the suspension and spent a load more cash on a new EBMM 25TH anniversary 4 string HSS. Damn GAS!!! Brilliant bass and my Jazz is still used but I do miss the Stingray. Also wouldn't mind playing around with a fretless! I spend too much time on the 'for sale' section on here - it can't be healthy!

That is all.

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1344981339' post='1772090']
If anyone is thinking of this, try whacking a set of flatwounds on your Ray (preferably EB group 3s cos they have v similar tension to rounds) and then thump it like a P bass - you will find you have no further need to change bass plus, a mere tweek of the EQ will take you back towards sizzle tone, if you want it - and you will avoid regrets like Nottsbass's.
[/quote]

Cool, I'll give that a try!

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1344964009' post='1771746']
so I can put it in context.... how many do you have?

I can imagine your sale threads for the four strings, well more the comments "I've never heard of one of them", "it's made of what? I didn't know instruments were made of that" and the "oh do you have anything more normal (i.e. fender) looking"

btw I like your 3 bass rule. I had something similar but just couldn't justify the 3rd at the time. and it would have to be damn good to upset one of the other two, so went down to 2. A 3rd sometime would be fun :)
[/quote]

I currently have about 30 basses (including the ones that are in bits). By the time I've sold off the 4-string ones that don't have 5-string equivalents and traded those that do for their 5-string versions, I'l be down to just under half that number.

And if I can elicit responses like that in my sale threads then I will have considered my work well done!

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1345061225' post='1773116']
I currently have about 30 basses (including the ones that are in bits). By the time I've sold off the 4-string ones that don't have 5-string equivalents and traded those that do for their 5-string versions, I'l be down to just under half that number.

And if I can elicit responses like that in my sale threads then I will have considered my work well done!
[/quote]

Personally I can't wait.
Not sure I have money to buy anything but I'm fascinated by what you might have!