Why become a member? ×

Fender P-bass Standard or American Standard

Gambisk

Hi I recently bought a cheap p bass of ebay and although everything is terrible on it in terms of the construction, setup and electronics I really enjoy playing it because of the neck shape. So I've decided to sell my Warwick corvette and my PRS guitar to fund a nice p bass.

My two requirements are a maple neck and fretboard and it needs to passive. I have narrowed it down to the fender American standard and the standard. I like the look of both but I'm wondering what the extra £500 gets you on the american over the Mexican and would I notice it?

If I was to buy the MIM p-bass I'd have enough left over cash for a good case, turtle-shell pick guard, a matching MIM jazz bass and set get them both setup properly, which is a very tempting proposition. Or would the single American P-bass be the better investment?

Edited by Gambisk

You will get many different opinions on this, but I would say get the American every time. MiMs are very variable in terms of quality, and the pickups are a little on the weak side.
I have an American P and an American Jazz, and they are both flawless, amazing instruments. (Infact, the P is so good, that the Jazz hasn't been out of its case since the P arrived.) The new 2012 P basses have 60s Custom shop pickups, which sound incredible, and are so much better than the MiM pickups.
Also, have a good think to yourself about whether you really need that Jazz, you said that you love the P neck shape, but the Jazz has a very different neck shape.

My advise would be to go with the American P bass, you definitely won't regret it :)

As I said to another chatter the other day - I've had 4 (i think) Mexican P-s - none of them were 'keepers', nothing wrong with as such, sold them here & I believe the buyers are very happy with, but my USA's are staying.

The choice is yours, I'd say USA if you can afford it & want a player + a keeper :)

Cost is not the issue here both routes work out the same price roughly. At the minute my £80 p-bass is getting more use than my £500 warwick even though the warwick is a much better bass in terms of sound the p bass neck is just much nicer..

My reasoning for two basses is that I'll be able to have both P and jazz sounds avaliable depending on what I'm after and both would probably get equal use. Saying that If I just sell the PRS then I should hopefully be able to afford the american and keep the warwick but I don't imagine it would get much use except if recording. I'll wait and get a few more opinions while I get the PRS sold.

100% American Standard. Since 2008 these have had significant upgrades.

Make sure you check it for paint quality, string alignment, and the neck pocket, but if they are all ok, the rest should be fantastic. There are some 'dogs' out there, but the new American Standards are MUCH better than the last series.

Upgrades:
2012 Custom Shop Pickup
Tort guard makes an appearance as stock again on certain colours
Fantastic necks, great finish, rolled edges
Bridge (not only looks better but very substantial)
Case (one of the best hardcases out there at the moment)
Lightweight tuners

I've also noticed they tend to be lightweight anyway. My 2009 P bass is incredibly light and resonant. My 2011 Jazz is a stunner.

If I can find a 2012 P bass with maple board that is as good as my 2009 rosewood, im having it! Flats on one, grindy rounds on the other.

The recent ( by which I mean post-2008) Fender American Standard basses, both Precision and Jazz, are really excellent instruments and still represent good value for money even after recent price increases when you compare them to other basses on the market for similar money. Regarding whether they are a better investment than the Mexican equivalent, by the time you have spent money on a good case, and a new pickguard for the Mex one you have already wasted some of the cash you have saved over buying the American one on stuff that comes for free with the American Standard ; I don't know if you are aware that the U.S .A -made bassses come with a superb a.b.s case, strap, lead, polishing cloth ect and a tortoiseshell pickguard comes as standard on the white and sunburst models. 2012 models also have Custom Shop pickups, but the pre -2012 ones also sound fine. These basses also have graphite-reinforced necks and should sound and play better than Mexican ones. I would have to add ,however, that with Fender basses you have to seek out a " good" one i.e tight neck pocket ect. If you are buying your bass new from a shop, they should be able to set the bass up for you included in the price. Buying online this could be a bit more of a problem, but some online retailers are also shops and could set up the bass for you before they send it maybe. In terms of investment, the American Standard will also hold a better resale value than the Mexican Standard but also more importantly will be a much more satisfying instrument to own and use in the long- term. Unless you have a pressing need ( ie you need a backup for gigs ect) to own two basses, it's far better to have one good instrument than two mediocre/poor ones.
If at all possible, go to a shop and try the two models and compare the sound and feel of them; you say you like the neck profile of your existing p bass, but do not assume that all p bass necks are the same profile as that one. There is huge variation between model and make ; the American Standard has a 1.625 width at the nut , where as many p basses have a wider 1.75 inch width.

I've owned and kept (as in didnt send back) 5, but sold on 3. Wish I'd kept one of those 3 as now I want a maple board P again. The gloss is LOVELLLLY.

I did try and buy about another 3-4 over the past 4 years, but they weren't so great, so they went back.

Currently have a matching J and P, and looking at another P.

Edited by Musicman20

I would also have a look at the American Specials, you might find some bargains around, 1st I found for example: [url="http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_guitars_detail.asp?stock=11010712231031"]http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_guitars_detail.asp?stock=11010712231031[/url]

How about forgetting where they're made and just trying every Jazz and Precision bass you can lay your hands on? Fender's are so variable you can often find a cheap "lesser" model sounds and plays much better than an expensive one.

I'd never buy a Fender online, I'd rather play it and see if it's a good one first. Try and find a few shops with some in stock and try them one after another and directly compare them if you can.

I did that and ended up with MIJ Jazzes and Precisions from the early 90s, didn't set out specifically to buy Japanese Fenders but they were the best at the time and I've not found anything to beat them yet (although the pickups weren't brilliant but I upgraded to Fender Vintage).

I've had a few Mexican P's and they were, nice instruments.

However, I've now got a USA one - and the difference, to me, felt outstanding.

Not a nice instrument, but an totally amazing one in feel and tone. It's rapidly becoming the bass I can't put down!

It's away for a few days for a full set-up - missing it already!!

I owned a MIJ 62 Reissue P bass, and as nice as it was, (it was my first 'real' bass) and as long as it lasted me, it doesn't hold upto my American Standard. The pickguard was far too red, the pickup was a little weak, and it just didn't feel as solid. Excellent value for money at about £450-500, but the new prices aren't far off an American model, and the used prices are, IMO, too high.

They have to be put into context. They used to be the step between a Squier and an American Series/Standard.

I`ve had many Fender Precisions, both US and MIM. For me, the US are better. But, I`d always buy 2nd hand. There are some great basses on here at present. Additionally, I`d echo Fat Richs sentiments, there`s no substitute like letting your hands decide which you like best.

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1344032195' post='1759106']
Fender USA Precision Standard. No better bass. Nothing even comes close. Accept no substitute. Respect no copies. Strap on and rock.
[/quote]

Got to agree with the Dark Lord here. I've had Mexican, Japanese, and USA. For me it has to be USA.

[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1344008064' post='1758674']
How about forgetting where they're made and just trying every Jazz and Precision bass you can lay your hands on? Fender's are so variable you can often find a cheap "lesser" model sounds and plays much better than an expensive one.
[/quote]

The best advice in this post so far IMO.

I would echo the advice, try, try and try them. Also take a look at where the P bass went afterwards - G&L SB1, mine is the bass I have kept longest in my many so far. It is a better bass than my 77 Precision was. You could save a fortune and just put a custom shop Fender pickup in your bass with the neck you like.