Why become a member? ×

how do you do your mids?

LukeFRC

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1343925570' post='1757450']
it was more, what do folk do to change it.
Plus your view doesn't count as you play a T40 and theres nothing that bass can't do just as it is

;)
[/quote]

Hey! I play all my basses in rotation with religious regularity (and alliteration)!

Each one has its characteristic sound, and that's what I love about having several. If I need to be more present in the mix, a little bump in whatever passes for low mids on your bass or amp does the trick every time. Certain basses do it more naturally than others, but I am not into the mechanics of it too much, just find the sound that works for you and carry on with the gig :)

[quote name='razze06' timestamp='1343986074' post='1758147']
Hey! I play all my basses in rotation with religious regularity (and alliteration)!

Each one has its characteristic sound, and that's what I love about having several. If I need to be more present in the mix, a little bump in whatever passes for low mids on your bass or amp does the trick every time. Certain basses do it more naturally than others, but I am not into the mechanics of it too much, just find the sound that works for you and carry on with the gig :)
[/quote]

there's a couple new ones on your sig I think? How you finding the status?
The T40 is a special bass though isn't it? If it were just that bit lighter I would have kept mine

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1343986908' post='1758163']
there's a couple new ones on your sig I think? How you finding the status?
The T40 is a special bass though isn't it? If it were just that bit lighter I would have kept mine
[/quote]

The T40 sounds like nothing else around, and its controls are also completely different. Still one of my go-to instruments. Weight is never an issue with me, the Ned Callan actually weighs a lot more than the T40 (mahogany nech AND body, i think, built like country house furniture!). No problem with mids there, you can cut through anything.

The Status is a much more polite and restrained instrument. I'll probably gig it on saturday at Whistlebinkies to see its true colours :)

I just set the bass up so it has a sound I want and can play and the I get the amp and cab to compliment.
I then tweak onstage to cut thru .....
I don't ever start from a position of this will do .... It has to be very easy to play first and foremost and some mids are very harsh on people's technique.
You can ramp mids a notch but not any further.

If I ever need to boost mids, apart from using the amp for more specific frequencies, with a 2 band pre on the bass its a simple matter of cutting the treble and bass a bit.

So many people I know only ever seem to boost EQ on their active basses for some reason. As a sound engineer I have learned to use EQ to get rid of the frequencies I don't want rather than boost the ones I do.

[quote name='razze06' timestamp='1343993538' post='1758310']
The T40 sounds like nothing else around, and its controls are also completely different. Still one of my go-to instruments. Weight is never an issue with me, the Ned Callan actually weighs a lot more than the T40 (mahogany nech AND body, i think, built like country house furniture!). No problem with mids there, you can cut through anything.

The Status is a much more polite and restrained instrument. I'll probably gig it on saturday at Whistlebinkies to see its true colours :)
[/quote] if the status sounds much like my old one it will be great with fuzz. Dunno why but that's what I remember of my old status shark.
The T40 wasn't too bad- but I have two basses that unplanned are both under 9lb- and the warwick WAY under. If I was going to grab one to play just the weight in picking up a bass almost twice the weight of the wick.... well it wasn't going to get played as much as it should.

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1344000538' post='1758505']
If I ever need to boost mids, apart from using the amp for more specific frequencies, with a 2 band pre on the bass its a simple matter of cutting the treble and bass a bit.

So many people I know only ever seem to boost EQ on their active basses for some reason. As a sound engineer I have learned to use EQ to get rid of the frequencies I don't want rather than boost the ones I do.
[/quote]

This ... I cut bass a bit on the amp and turn the volume up sometimes to get a better rounded middy sound.

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1344000538' post='1758505']

[/quote]

Brilliant, that answered my question! I should have known this as I've been cutting rather than boosting when mixing my recordings recently.

I think it's just the.... you know how a bass has a voice.... theres a dominant tone in the mids... well, I kinda want to control that- maybe it's not possible and it's the actual sound of my bass. It's not my rig, the P bass's dominate tone (what's the correct term to describe it) is a bit lower, as an example a T40 is lower again, maybe it's just the tone of the bass and unchangeable.

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!
Investigating.... the annoying mid frequency (about 1.06k) ... my pickups are wired straight to jack at the moment.... so I think what I was hearing was the resonant peak... change cables (and therefore both resistance and capacitance) and it goes away. :) so need to pay attention to pickup loading!

I use an Aguilar BD924 (bass and treble boost only which is the same as the Sadowsky unit). I think it allows the p bass tone to come out with a little added bottom (and zing if required). Currently thinking about a Ray 34 which I've found cutting the treble and boosting bass and mids a little gives a very warm fat tone which is right up my street tone wise. I'm into old, fat tone and not this Jazz noodle tone (it's an unofficail term)but something about the Stngray sound appeals - I guess it's the Leo Fender connection.

Razze I might swing by tonight as I'm gigging round the corner at 11pm. What time you guys starting?

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry, resurrecting old thread!

But offer this opinion on EQing mids:

These days when we performers almost invariably have a PA, I feel that the sound from my backline amp has little or nothing to do with the band mix!
So I EQ solely so I can pleasurably hear myself on stage. And send a pre-EQ line to the desk. Let the mix be the problem of someone who can actually hear it!

That said, mids _are_ crucial to getting a satisfying sound. As long as you understand them and you're not overwhelmed by it, plenty of knobs and sliders are helpful for finding the freq's that help you cut thru the on-stage din. Imho.

My 3-EQ bass pre is flat, on my walkabout everything is flat appart from one of the 3 parametric EQ it has that is cutting a bit around 50 to 60 HZ. All my mids are obtained with pickup pan and right hand position.

Oh! Mixer tends to run my channel flat also when the room is not very bad.

cheers

• 2 weeks later...