Why become a member? ×

Is it a criminal offence.....

SpaceChick

[quote name='billyapple' timestamp='1343773497' post='1755186']
PS. emailing the drummer might be seen as weak, just keep your powder dry, carry on, and I'm sure he'll hang himself.

If he crits you again in front of the band, give a big BWAHHAWWHAAW laugh, and just say 'Your only saying that cos your trying to get your mate in to play'

Speak and expose the unspeakable, then he has no-where to manoeuvre
[/quote]

I like this reply. Go for this.
When backed into a corner you will more than likely see his true colours.
Don't let it get to you. The others will know your ability by now and won't risk taking on an outsider or unknown entity on the say of a guitarist who has already walked away stating it wasn't for him.
Personally i wouldn't have allowed him back if that's why he left few weeks before.

What changed his mind, Did he think he could manipulate the others to go down his route. ???

Agree that you should only discuss with band when you have calmed down and reflected on what has taken place. Once a balanced and concise judgement has been made by yourself then discuss with the band and produce facts and not heresay.

I guess this is just typical band politics. Main reason i walked away from bands 20yrs ago although returned few yrs back and loving every minute of it now without the aggresive politics.

Back him into a corner - i really like that.

Dave

There's probably a guitarist on 'RhythmChat' somewhere ranting on about how he's walked out on a bunch of @rseholes. :lol:

Glad to hear it's worked out in your favour, but something like that seemed inevitable really. If bandmates don't get on together then it'll never work out.

Onwards and upwards!

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1343773509' post='1755187']
It's a no-brainer, bassists are FAR more important than rhythm guitarists.

Imagine being an 'E string bassist' - how much work do you reckon you'd get?

[/quote]I dont get much :gas:
just tell him to foxtrott oscar

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1343812449' post='1755468']

Steady on. You've only been in the band 4 weeks yourself. Personally if I were the other guys I'd just ditch the pair of you.

You're only more important because it's difficult to find bass players.

I don't know how old you guys are but it all

seems pretty immature. The new guitarist
doesn't fit in - for whatever reason. He needs to go. Calmly and quickly before he gets too comfortable and you end up learning stuff thay
needs relearning next month with someone else.
[/quote]+1

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1343836938' post='1756086']
There's probably a guitarist on 'RhythmChat' somewhere ranting on about how he's walked out on a bunch of @rseholes. :lol:

Glad to hear it's worked out in your favour, but something like that seemed inevitable really. If bandmates don't get on together then it'll never work out.

Onwards and upwards!
[/quote]

i think us lot get the rhythmchat too.... what would it be called? 2ndstringguitaristtalk ?

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1343836938' post='1756086']
[/quote]

TBH, as long as the assorted musicians assembled into a band have a reasonable level of competence, the most important thing is that they get along together. Which doesn't necessarily mean a democracy, some bands operate quite happily as dictatorships, but get along they must.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1343858053' post='1756580']
some bands operate quite happily as dictatorships.
[/quote]

I was told by our singer recently "One of these days you're gonna get it wrong Guv and we are soooo gonna take the p*ss out of you when you do..."
I might have to have him dragged from the rehearsal room and beaten savagely... :D

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1343847418' post='1756340']

Yes! His member name is pushytosseroopsivebeensacked.
[/quote]

Bet it is too :P

Well I've been at the football tonight, but have had one text from the drummer saying he'd text asking could he come back to the band!! Drummer has said "No chance"

I don't get this guy I really don't!

As for the poster who asked about band ages.... I'm the youngest at 38, the lead singer is in his late 40's, the ditched guitarist was early 50's, our lead guitarist is 60 and our drummer is 62 :P so a group of youngsters we aren't.

Our drummer has been gigging for over 40 years, so I reckon he's seen his fair share of arses in that time!!

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1343860789' post='1756637']
Our drummer has been gigging for over 40 years, so I reckon he's seen his fair share of arses in that time!!
[/quote]

It's the lot of the drummer I'm afraid, what with being sat at the back an' all.

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1343860789' post='1756637']
I'm the youngest at 38, the lead singer is in his late 40's, the ditched guitarist was early 50's, our lead guitarist is 60 and our drummer is 62 :P so a group of youngsters we aren't.[/quote]

The age / wisdom rule is generally inverted when it comes to local bands. Whether it's because middle-aged men develop bizarre personality traits and strange fixations or because some older hobby musos sense that their best years are behind them, well, I just don't know. Either way, I've found that being in a band is less fun than it used to be.

Old Bobs of my age always seem to be exaggeratedly in thrall to their family commitments or prone to suggesting impractical swerves in musical direction or throwing flaky, hissy fits or getting wildly over-excited or falling into profound introspection.

Auditioned one old boy for guitar and the first thing he said when he walked through the door - [i]literally the first thing [/i]- was "You'll have to move the bass amp - I always play on stage left". What [i]possesses[/i] someone to make them say that rather than "Hallo"?

On reflection, I think it's the 'nearing death' thing and - for [i]some [/i]of these guys - being in a band is all part of the denial stage. And with that, I think I'll just nip off and build myself some gallows.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1343864070' post='1756696']
Thanks for that Skank, you've saved me from terrible self-delusion [i]and [/i]being way too upbeat for a Thursday morning.[/quote]

No need to thank me, squire. Enlightenment trumps self-delusion every time, which is why I'm [i]so[/i] fond of Mr Dickie Dawkins.

I'm just surprised that the OP would feel it necessary to have it out with her erstwhile and short-lived bandmate. Nearly all men can sense when a woman is harbouring a silent and specific dissatisfaction. I suppose this chump must have belonged to the 1% that don't.

Anyway, I'm glad for Deb that he's history and look forward to more positive developments. :)