Why become a member? ×

What's the last bassline you learned?

Doc B

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1332496841' post='1589032']
Not sure if I ever learn any. I learn them, write them down and then forget them. The most recent one was Henri Texier's Soweto Sorrow (a year ago?) but I couldn't play it now if my life depended on it. I guess the only lines I learn now are the ones I write for my own compositions. If I don't learn those, nobody will :lol: BUt if I write them, I am not learning them, am I? I am writing them....
[/quote]

So the only ones you know by heart are the 'standards'. The rest you do as you say above, or sight read if you need to ?

Neil Murray original and live version of Fool For Your Loving by Whitesnake and then the band changed their mind and said it was too dated :o

This is a classic rock band doing covers of Purple, Rainbow, Whitesnake and Sabbath.
Work that one out if you can.

Dave

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1334321082' post='1614461']
I really hate it when that happens. If someone doesn't like the song I would rather they just said than dropping this excuse. Especially when someone has put so much effort into learning it. If its learnt, give it an airing and let the audience decide!
[/quote]

Annoyed the hell out of me that did cause I'm a huge fan of Neil Murray. Jack Bruce and Neil were probably my biggest influences so i was really into covering that particular version and giving it my best as a matter of respect for the original bass line done by Neil.
Check his live performance using a Kramer. Some of his runs are incredible.

Hugely under-estimated bassist IMO.

Dave

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1334328547' post='1614697']

Annoyed the hell out of me that did cause I'm a huge fan of Neil Murray. Jack Bruce and Neil were probably my biggest influences so i was really into covering that particular version and giving it my best as a matter of respect for the original bass line done by Neil.

Dave
[/quote]

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1334328547' post='1614697']

Dave
[/quote]

I learned Imperium by Machine Head the other day, for my cover band. Not a particularly challenging track, but quite fun to play, and plenty of room to add a bit of 'flavour' to the parts :D

It's normally in drop B, but I just play it on my 5... Actually makes it easier as I barely have to move my left hand!

Edited by chrismuzz

Wedding gig coming up, Maggie May requested, what a lark that bass line is. While I was faffing I picked up Suspicious Minds just for fun, then after another phone call from the singer it was straight into The Devil Went Down To Georgia. An odd Thursday night...probably an even odder wedding...

[quote name='JPS' timestamp='1334340625' post='1614956']
Having a bit of a Stax fix at the moment. Can't Turn You Loose by Otis Redding, Who's Makin Love by Johnny Taylor and What A Man by Linda Lydell.
[/quote]

Me too. I've been doing "Knock on Wood" and "Soul Man".

We already do "What A Man" - underrated song, great funky bassline. I love how these Stax arrangements are both melodic and driving while still leaving 'space' (for want of a more accurate description).

I'm also still working on "I want you back". Got the notes down, all I have to do now is sound like I mean it!

Oh and the singer now wants to transpose it to E which will trash the line on a four string... :(

[quote name='Spike Vincent' timestamp='1334356160' post='1615261']
Dead Boys.

Sonic Reducer.

Yeah!
[/quote]

I've gigged this song over a hundred times! Never on bass though, vocals and guitar. It's amazing. It was always a real buzz when someone came over and responded positively to it too, they were usually older muso-punks or deeply geeky Pearl Jam fans.

My last bassline learned was I Need a Dollar by Aloe Blacc, nothing much to shout about but that was the last one I learned on Thursday night :)

Edited by Sean