Why become a member? ×

Maxwell Murder - Rancid - Any Tips?

charic

I've decided it's time for another crack at this track, my playing has come along a fair ol' way since the last attempt but on the first few tries I'm still miles off.

Any tips?

Are there any tracks out there that I can attempt as a build up to this track?

I love playing Rancid tracks in general and I think this is pretty much the only one I can't nail and it's bugging the hell out of me... HELP!

Edited by charic

[quote name='Dandelion' timestamp='1342707682' post='1739699']
They are touring the UK December this year, Rock city basement on Dec 1st for example.
[/quote]

Are you suggesting I go ask him for a lesson at the gig? :lol:

Ah, I love Rancid, some fantastic bass playing - Maxwell Murder's on my hit list to learn this year...... maybe it'll lead to a new concept album - Rancid Ham(fisted).

Anyone of the opinion that all punk is easy and boring on bass needs to have a good listen. Great track, and I'm afraid I cant contrinute any tips or advice....good luck with it though!

I've booked tickets to go see them yet again, because every time I see them they are great. It was only £25 I think...as I picked them up at the venue.

Thing is, bands have to charge a lot as no-one buys their albums, they get them for free haha.

MF is a total bass legend. He would wipe the smile off many a jazz player with his crazy fast picking.

One thing I learnt when I was starting to get into modern punk/hardcore/ska is that its all in the pick. Get that pick technique nailed with the right speed and the rest comes quite quickly.

This is why, IMO, its much better to be a bassist in a punk band compared to most metal where the bass is usually too slow, dull, and boring. There are expections, obviously, but if you love bass, punk (especially modern punk like NOFX, Lagwagon, A Wilhelm Scream) is the way to go.

Edited by Musicman20

I'm no expert but try giving this one a go;

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTp9SMFQ3Hw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTp9SMFQ3Hw[/url]

I got it just! Sometimes!
I figure being able to play Rancid stuff is mainly nailing that fast picking technique along with the major scales.
This may bridge the gap a bit...if it doesn't...hey ho, you've still learnt another killer lick!

[quote name='Waterboarder' timestamp='1342803504' post='1741321']
I'm no expert but try giving this one a go;

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTp9SMFQ3Hw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTp9SMFQ3Hw[/url

I got it just! Sometimes!
I figure being able to play Rancid stuff is mainly nailing that fast picking technique along with the major scales.
This may bridge the gap a bit...if it doesn't...hey

ho, you've still learnt another killer lick

I cant get this to play for some reason
[/quote]

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1342801388' post='1741267']
This is why, IMO, its much better to be a bassist in a punk band compared to most metal where the bass is usually too slow, dull, and boring. There are expections, obviously, but if you love bass, punk (especially modern punk like NOFX, Lagwagon, A Wilhelm Scream) is the way to go.
[/quote]

thumbsup!

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1342700490' post='1739516']
When I play it I find the trick is to keep the picking hand going continuously through out and to concentrate on the fretting and muting, if that makes any sense!
[/quote]

That approach really helped me with Detroit, may give Maxwell Murder or Axiom a go next. Really love some of Matt Freeman's bass lines, been messing about with Roots Radicals and Journey to the end, so much fun to play :D.
Forgot they were touring and £22 for the Nottingham show seems pretty reasonable, looking forward to seeing them again!

[quote name='billyapple' timestamp='1342860792' post='1741899']
Great Bass-ing. Just listened to him play it live and he blew me away. Not that familiar with Rancid, I'll have to check them out.
[/quote]

...And Out Come The Wolves is their best album. I got it for Xmas off my uncle back in 1995 (I think) when I was a young 14 year old punk fan. To this day, I still listen to it every few weeks. It is a classic. If you like a little bit of ska and reggae thrown in to classic punk with a modern touch you will love it!

Edited by Musicman20