Why become a member? ×

What Value is your pub gig rig ?

essexbasscat

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1342261386' post='1732426']
....I wonder if the people that have £1000+ rigs sound better than the ones that don't? With my £500 rig I can play anywhere and sound great. Is it essential to spend more than double that? Not trying to pick a fight, I'm just curious as to the benefits of a £1000+ rig....
[/quote]

So you are happy with your rig. That's good.

But if you have to ask about the benefits of a more expensive rig then you won't understand the answer.

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1342261386' post='1732426']
I wonder if the people that have £1000+ rigs sound better than the ones that don't? With my £500 rig I can play anywhere and sound great. Is it essential to spend more than double that? Not trying to pick a fight, I'm just curious as to the benefits of a £1000+ rig.

Mine's reasonably light and compact and I have a good DI and compressor built in to the PF-500. I've upgraded the driver (dont worry, included in the rig value) so I can use it on its own for big pubs and the ME-20b is all I need for pub covers.

Truckstop
[/quote]

Best live bass sound I ever heard was a Tobias Toby Pro 4 into an Ashdown MAG 300 and Marshall 4x12... So expensive is definitely not always better! :)

My Trace head and Peavey 410 cab cost me a total of £160.
I bring a lead too, which obviously must have cost a tenner or so at some time in the past.
My strap is a freebie planets waves locking one which was given to me by a pal who was terminally ill with cancer at the time.
Me and that strap shall never be parted.

That's it.

Every time I see that TC are doing a deal on a free cab. I get tempted by a new BH500 and a pair of BC210 cabs for £610, but I don't imagine I'd sound much better.

My only bass that goes out with me is the Squier 5 string in my avatar.

The Yamaha in my sig is still very much a project and cost me nothing.

I guess those who have spent more than me do so because they can. For that, I'd never be a hypocrite and criticise. I would too.

I'll fess up to always being on the lookout for a lighter cab with a bit more mid, but the cost would have to make sense.

My Markbass setup pushes the £1400 mark... add pedals(when I use them), leads etc at new prices and I'd be pushing £1600.

If space and weight were no issue I'd be playing the local with an Ashdown 8x10 for half the price, but car space is very limited and it's great to be able to carry my entire setup in two hands! Entire rig weighs next to nothing even compared to my old Ashdown 1x15

Orange AD200 and OBC 8x10 is the only rig I own. What's that about £2000? I tend to gig cheap but good basses though, normally a T-40 and a mex P bass. The 40 is the main stay mind. If they ever push the button there will be only cock roaches and T-40s left.

• 3 weeks later...

Approximat prices... can't really remember what I paid exactly

Barefaced S12T - £950
Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 - £500
Pedal board & power - £150
Pedals - £450
Leads - £75
Cases - £200

You forget how much it's all worth sometimes don't you? And this is just without considering your basses and the rest of the band's gear sat up there in front of these drunks (and theives).

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1342275962' post='1732681']
So you are happy with your rig. That's good.

But if you have to ask about the benefits of a more expensive rig then you won't understand the answer.
[/quote]

Raised an eyebrow at this - a bit on the patronising side, don't you think?

Back at you - please, o wise one, educate us. Please enrich us with the benefit of your extensive knowledge and help us rise above the level of simple luddite!

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1344164234' post='1760512']
Raised an eyebrow at this - a bit on the patronising side, don't you think?

Back at you - please, o wise one, educate us. Please enrich us with the benefit of your extensive knowledge and help us rise above the level of simple luddite!
[/quote]

no need to become sarcastic.
usually you get what you pay for.

[quote name='krysh' timestamp='1344164523' post='1760527']
no need to become sarcastic.
usually you get what you pay for.
[/quote]

There blooming well is a need. If everyone took that patronising, "I'm better than you and I'm not going to tell you how" attitude then we wouldn't have any teachers, no education system and a bunch of people running around in loin cloths, communicating in grunts. It really irritates me how some people think it's funny to appear to be better by making others feel small.

Also, isn't sharing knowledge a crucial point of having a forum in the first place?

However, I have made my point and now I apologise for the sarcastic way in which it was initially presented. I hope my further explanation goes some way to explaining my position.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1344164978' post='1760540']
There blooming well is a need. If everyone took that patronising, "I'm better than you and I'm not going to tell you how" attitude then we wouldn't have any teachers, no education system and a bunch of people running around in loin cloths, communicating in grunts. It really irritates me how some people think it's funny to appear to be better by making others feel small.

Also, isn't sharing knowledge a crucial point of having a forum in the first place?

However, I have made my point and now I apologise for the sarcastic way in which it was initially presented. I hope my further explanation goes some way to explaining my position.
[/quote]

I didn't read in chris_b's posting that he was patronising. there is no patronising, it is a simple fact.
please read again without the "hate"-specs.
there is no "need" for investing more than £1000,-.
but if you want more quality, you can buy it. simple fact.
if one asks about the difference, then one simply doesn't know about it.

apology much appreciated. ;)

Ooops.

I think Krysh has explained the gist of what I intended to say.

If the poster is happy with a £500 rig then that's good; the fact that he says he doesn't understand how spending more on different equipment gets someone else a sound [i]they[/i] prefer probably means that the reasoning won't be understood either.

I understand why people would buy an Audi or Merc rather than the Volvo I'm happy with, so, as this sentiment comes up so often, and if you have to label my post, put it under exasperation rather than patronising.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1342201052' post='1731616']
For me... at replacement prices..just shy of £10k -ish
[/quote]

If you want to know how I value my gigging rig at shy of £10k to replace, consider
2x Sei J5's
Thunkferfunk 550-A amp racked with a tuner
2 DB210

Or I might take out 2 Berg NEO's instead but if it is either, or....
So if anything was stolen I'd commission 2 new Sei J5's and go to Thunderfunk for a 750 as they don't make 550's anymore.
I'd stick with Aguilar cabs.
My gig bag must have £3-400 of stuff in it.... If you include a pedal/DI box, mic, cables.
So, if pond life emptied my car.....??????

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1344175477' post='1760691']

If you want to know how I value my gigging rig at shy of £10k to replace, consider
2x Sei J5's
Thunkferfunk 550-A amp racked with a tuner
2 DB210

Or I might take out 2 Berg NEO's instead but if it is either, or....
So if anything was stolen I'd commission 2 new Sei J5's and go to Thunderfunk for a 750 as they don't make 550's anymore.
I'd stick with Aguilar cabs.
My gig bag must have £3-400 of stuff in it.... If you include a pedal/DI box, mic, cables.
So, if pond life emptied my car.....??????
[/quote]

Come on! 2x Custom built Sei J5s? That's not backline unless I'm missing something.

There is no way anyone gigs with £10k worth of backline!

[quote name='essexbasscat' timestamp='1342194847' post='1731414']
I thought I'd ask the same question about rigs, y'know all the stuff you use for the backline.

[/quote]

You know if we all read each others posts properly there would be a lot less arguments. :)

I've voted sub £750. For 10 years I gigged with a second hand Trace GP7-300 15" combo that I picked up for £300 quid.

It got too heavy and I moved to Warwick separates a 211Pro which I got new on a deal £400 and ProFet 5.1 which was £300. I've recently added another 211Pro second hand £250 for bigger gigs.

I guess my cable was £20.

Edited by TimR

Normal pub gig:
Ampeg 115HTP £210
Leads [u] £ 30[/u]
[u] £240[/u]

Lucky / special pub gig:
Sansamp BDI £120
Leads [u]£ 40[/u]
[u] £160[/u]

Interestingly, my pub rig in the 1960s was an Impact 60W head and 2x12 cab which cost 78gns.
That's about £1025 in todays money!
Blimey Moses!!!!

Edited by Jazzneck

Pub gig rig? Bass 400 and 2x15 - approximately £1900 23 years ago (plus £400 for flightcases). Big rig Bass 400 & Bass 400+ through 2x15 and 2x18 - I'm guessing around £5k (including flightcases).

It gets me the sound I always wanted so good value to me. If your rig gets you the sound you want and you found it in a skip then we are equally happy in my eyes. Other folk will hate my sound, I dare say, but it's down to what you like and no-one else.