Why become a member? ×

What Value is your pub gig rig ?

essexbasscat

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1342261386' post='1732426']
I wonder if the people that have £1000+ rigs sound better than the ones that don't? With my £500 rig I can play anywhere and sound great. Is it essential to spend more than double that? Not trying to pick a fight, I'm just curious as to the benefits of a £1000+ rig.
[/quote]

In alot of cases its paying a premium for a very light weight setup. My BF compact, midget and RH450 "stack" probably comes in just shy of 50lb, a doubt that the portablity loudness and sound quality of this setup can be beaten for under 2k.

My only rig now is an Orange Terror 500w head with the flightcased Orange SP210 cab. I guess it's just over a grand to replace it these days although I spent £432 and £423 on the head & cab. With the flightcase and the decent cables it would put it firmly over the thousand mark but I certainly have got great tones from cheaper rigs. It's light and it does look pretty neat though ;)

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1344344622' post='1763075']Are cases backline?
[/quote]

I rest my rig on the flightcase so yes, it's included as far as I'm concerned and as far as my musicguard insurance is concerned. Not sure if it's included in the spirit of the OP but I use it to raise the rig so yes

I too voted for my whole shebang including basses (still came in at under 750) should have been sub-500, a lot sub 500. :)
2 old Laney 15" Pa cabs with new celestion drivers in them, plus my harley benton head (the promethean clone) it is nice and it works.
I would not say no to a nicer rig but have not the funds to justify it,
:)

Use my lightweight rig probably.
GB streamliner i think was circa £600
2 off Berg AE112 cabs circa £1200
Roland GR6B pedals i think were around £200

Total £2000

Whow that came as a bit of a surprise cause I've bought it over a few years so never really price tagged the full thing.

For bigger gigs i add a Berg HT322 which was bought from a very good fellow BC'er - can't remember cost though ???
and a Warwick ProFET IV for some added oomph.
I do switch the amps to speakers for bigger gigs with GB feeding the HT322.

Dave

Peavey Tour 450 head, second hand Hartke Transporter, Planet waves tuner, warwick case for the amp and leads would be just shy of £500 for the backline, which is how I voted.

Including the IEMs and the bass I am currently gigging would push me into the >£1000 camp, if you count that as my gigging rig.

Re: spending more money on a rig - at some stage in the future (if the band does well) I will be upgrading to a micro head and barefaced (or similar lightweight cab). For my extra money I will get:

Better portability from smaller lighter gear (the main reason)
Slightly more power
Better street cred from the basschatters B)
Slightly more anxiety when a crowd of hooligans walk in.

Of course, I'd probably find a better sound, but this is a subjective and one's favourite sound could be from an old £70 trace rig, so I don't consider it part of the list of improvements.

Edited by Commando Jack

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1342261386' post='1732426']
I wonder if the people that have £1000+ rigs sound better than the ones that don't? With my £500 rig I can play anywhere and sound great. Is it essential to spend more than double that? Not trying to pick a fight, I'm just curious as to the benefits of a £1000+ rig.

Truckstop
[/quote]

Definately a good question.
I guess its down to getting the sound that you have in your head produced live.
I had a Roland pre-amp into 2off Mattamp tube power amps and into Peavey and celestion loaded cabs at one time using a jazz bass. (mid 80's) I recorded with it on many occasions and to this day that sound is what i aim for. To me, my GB streamliner and Berg HT322 cab give me that exact same sound although the years may have distorted that memory slightly.
To buy the original set up would probably have cost me far more.
I have tried other amps from Selmer, Carlsboro, Peavey, H/H, Ampeg, EBS, Ashdown, TE, Marshall and for various reasons couldn't quite get that specific tone i was looking for. Either too clinical or too undefined and muddy or not enough low to mid punch.
I didn't plan to buy the most expensive amp by any means but more trying to get that warm mid punchy sound.
Then there is the weight issue. GB amp and Berg AE112 cabs are easily lifted and transported anywhere and small enough to fit in the boot of the car. That was a major factor for me.
Hope that kinda helps answer why i personally went for what i currently have.
At the moment i have a mix of Tube warmth from the GB and a mix of SS from my Warwick for bigger venues.

Cheers
Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

Never really thought about adding it up but it can't be too much. Not gigging at present but last gig would have been;
2nd hand Trace 1x15 combo cost approx £200
2nd hand SWR 2X10 ext cab cost approx £100
Behringer tuner pedal about £18
Samson wireless about £100
Hartke Bass Attack about £70
A few cheap leads etc I reckon I still spent less than £500.
Played with lots of other gear at open mics and rehearsal rooms etc but nothing as yet makes me want to dash out and replace any of the above. Only major change over last 6-8 years has been retiring the 4x10 trace extn cab and replacing it with the SWR noted above to give more space in car for other band member's stuff and save my back hauling the 4x10 about. I've also used PK5 pedals with a sound module in some bands but I don't consider that backline.

I have an ampeg pf500 now
a Schroeder 210112L
zoom b2.1u
and a sampson airline wireless
all new around 1K but the pf and schroeder were pre-used once or twice .
this is a well slimmed down version of what I used to carry round and it works a treat , granted it doesn't look quite as impressive as 6 foot high stack with lights flashing on the head , but it sounds as good and carries a lot easier .

Edited by lurksalot