Why become a member? ×

How long had you been playing?

SpaceChick

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1341777623' post='1724070']
I actually got to number 72 in the charts (with a classical group I was with) for one week in 1989 aged 15 following a performance on Blue Peter before I went on my tour of China.
[/quote]

Did you get a Blue Peter badge?

Picked up a bass and started picking away when i was about 17 and doing some cleaning in the Perf Arts dept at college. I was doing Perf Arts at the time so knew that a guitar was EADGBE - a bass had 4 strings so must be EADG - I kind of guessed that each fret was a certain note past the E, A, D or G (depending on the string) and kind of went from there.

Wouldnt have taken it seriously if it werent for a mates acoustic duo wanting to make it into a band for the 1 year "anniversary" gig - so learned about 10 songs on a borrowed Jazz Bass and played my first gig in front of a pub full of people in May 2006 - from there the duo was scrapped and the band formed - we went on to do about 3 gigs a week for nearly 2 years, including playing at our local museum fireworks party, and headlining a closing down event at a major entertainment club "Barry Youngs Stardust".

Now we are still going, and have a clothing sponsorship, and various other endorsements - so not bad going really!

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1341778615' post='1724097']

However all the recording we had made stood us in good stead when I discovered the DIY cassette scene in 1979 as we had enough material already recorded to be able to release a cassette straight away which brought us to the attention of one of the main bands in the "scene" The Instant Automatons who asked us to be on a compilation EP (on proper vinyl) that they were producing, which in turn led to airplay on John Peel...
[/quote]

Now that sounds cool :D

We rarely play a sponsorship gig, but when we do, its an outfit each - Jeans, and a Top, sometimes a jacket all for nowt - and when there's 5 of us in the band, that mounts up to a lot of stuff really, but its not all its cracked up to be. We have played in outlets, and at festivals, all kitted out, but its like you are a walking advertising board.

Its difficult to get in to, but when you are there, its quite good. Just get to know a decent retailer!

[quote name='kevin_lindsay' timestamp='1341739530' post='1723257']
I started off around age 15 and played in a church band for a fair few years which was a fantastic start as it taught me to play by ear, to listen to the rest of the musicians, to change songs at a moment's notice.
[/quote]

This. I was depping at big gigs (800 ish) about a week after picking it up. I'm a much better player now and doing a lot smaller gigs, go figure.

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1341779265' post='1724116']
Now that sounds cool :D
[/quote]

Maybe even more impressive was the fact that 22 years later I found a gushing review of our contribution to said EP on the Hyped To Death Records web site which in turn lead to them releasing a [url=http://hyped2death.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=31&products_id=39]retrospective CD of our recordings[/url].

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1341779940' post='1724131']

Maybe even more impressive was the fact that 22 years later I found a gushing review of our contribution to said EP on the Hyped To Death Records web site which in turn lead to them releasing a [url=http://hyped2death.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=31&products_id=39]retrospective CD of our recordings[/url].
[/quote]

Stop BigRedX you've gone from cool to pretty awesome :D

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1341734946' post='1723193']
When you started in your first band?

What are your reflections on this now?

Just nosey and curious really!
[/quote]

Although I had owned a bass for about 3 years before I first played with a band, I'd say I had accumulated no more than a couple of day's total play time before I played my first gig, including the 3 practises with the band before the gig.

Reflections? It proves a point - just get stuck in.

I've been playing bass about 12.5 years and always been in at least one band during that time, played a bit of guitar for about 16 years before that (never in a proper gigging band).
Like many I was signed up to play in a band before I actually played bass (an after work jam band).

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1341827401' post='1724536']
Honestly, the man is vile! Its not just me that has said it too, I have met other people who have met him and they all say the same![/quote]

:lol: Sorry, I should have said, 'Now that [i]really [/i]surprises me. ;) ' Missed off the smiley.
It doesn't surprise me at all. Not one bit. The man's an arse of the first order.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1341734946' post='1723193']
When you started in your first band?

What are your reflections on this now?

Just nosey and curious really!
[/quote]

I was 17 (32 years ago) - started playing as soon as I could buy a bass of my own (September 1980 - after I started earning) and got into my first band in December of the same year - a NWOBHM band called No Quarter. Friday Rockshow session in April 1981 and that was the highlight of my career. Since then, nothing (except 1m 30s on National Lottery Live).

I am a believer in the adage that the reward is the music itself and I have played some great stuff over the years, amongst all the dross. I don't play because I want to but because I have to. I love a half hour practsing in my music room almost as much as I love a gig and I love composing as much as playing. I want to do so much more but that will always be the case and, unless Pat Metheny calls, is unlikely to happen. I plug away at it, leading my little trio in its 4 or 5 gigs a year and filling the bass chair for anyone who asks (the list appears to be geting smaller....). I have my littel projects and wait for them to bear fruit but, in the meantime, enjoy every little taste I can get.

The band had a name and a gig befor we had proper gear,I think we shared an old record amp,or tape player and speakers,we tried to play Pink Floyd Backman turner stuff,looking back great times,played mostly in youth clubs,that was 37 years ago,
Still playing,and lovin it... :gas:

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1341827536' post='1724541']
:lol: Sorry, I should have said, 'Now that [i]really [/i]surprises me. ;) ' Missed off the smiley.
It doesn't surprise me at all. Not one bit. The man's an arse of the first order.
[/quote]

Show some respect, please! The man's got balls the size of melons!
Filled with energy from spirits! :lol:

Started aged 13/14, real cheap crap bass
bought Gibbo EB2 by 15 from gigs
failed A levels spectacularly
but played 4 nights per week aged 16 to 19

peak playing period aged 19 to 27
career intervenes
dabble to age 46, bolloxed wrist, for while thought was all over, however start again
now playing and am much better now than I was then, more 'musical' less technique lol
currently aged nearly 54, so 40 years experience and still learning
biggest problem is memory, have never been good at remembering complex chord structures in songs

greatest laugh, can afford expensive kit but best bang per buck, warwick rockbass corvette £130, nuts good for the money.

Biggest regret(s) - Hiwatts, Marshalls, Acoustic 370 etc amps owned, many good basses as well, if kept, what an investment. Hindsight, perfect and useless.

Edited by 3below