Why become a member? ×

Bass Guitar Magazine editor

Joel McIver

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1341407701' post='1718464']
I've just searched this topic and can't find the word "Fender" in it anywhere?

Go down the pub this weekend, and there is a better than even chance that the bass player in the band that you see will be playing a Fender (There. I've said it twice). Also, chances are, he/she won't be doing any slapping.

The thing that puts me off bass guitar magazines is the strange bias towards exotic basses and slap bass players.

Can we have lots of Fender stuff in the mag please and not much of these exotic players whom the average guy in the street doesn't know and couldn't identify

Oh yeah. Once last thing. Fender.
[/quote] a little +10 on this

Hi Joel,

I've been a subsciber for a couple of years now and I have a few observations:
[list]
[*]I realise that many people like to read reviews on the esoteric £3000+ basses, I don't but I understand that you need to keep these in but I would like to see more reviews of the "bread and butter" stuff. In fact more reviews full stop would be good.
[*]I'm pleased to see that the references to slapping appear to be decreasing but stop asking the interviewees in the "Basically Speaking" section if they slap because 99% of them don't. Count them up if you don't believe me.
[*]The photos in the reviews rarely cover things mentioned in the review and try to be too arty rather than functional. I've lost count of the number of times where a specific feature of a bass or an amp is mentioned but isn't visible in any of the photos.
[*]Not enough amp and cab reviews and the ones that are reviewed tend to be the same manufacturers over and over. When was a Marshall last reviewed? It's very rare that we bass players can visit a shop that has a decent range of bass amps to try out therefore we have to rely on internet reviews and such like, these should be covered more by the mag.
[*]The "Bass in the USA" column is so utterly boring.
[*]This month's interview with Steve Harris's tech was really good, the photos of the gear could have been better. More articles on "pro's" setups would be good.
[/list]
Just my opinions and I realise that you can't please all of the people all of the time.

...and please offer your free gifts to everyone. It's a bit of a slap in the face that the mag can be sent anywhere in the world but strings/tshirts/straps can't.

Also, I see that there is no European postage rate option (only Rest of World surface or air mail). If I were to subscribe again, am I to subsidise non-European postage? Probably not, but I don't know that!

• 2 months later...

In just over a year's time, 4th December 2013, it will be the 20th anniversary of Frank Zappa's death.

Mike (urb) did a cracking interview for BGM last year with my bass hero Scott Thunes, and I had a thought that wouldn't it be amazing to get some interviews with Zappa's most notable bassists as a Zappa Bassists Special for this anniversary.

Maybe get some insights and anecdotes about what it was like to audition, record, rehearse, and play live with Zappa, what technical and aural skills were needed, how they triumphed or f***ed up, what tips they might have for learning tricky material quickly, did they get nervous, did they care about getting everything perfect, how they improvised or stuck to the exact notes, the hardest thing they remember having to do, etc etc etc. I know some of this is already available in various places so it would be good to get a new angle for interviews, but I reckon it would be damn interesting and useful.

I'd love to hear the opinions and stories from Jim Pons, Tom Fowler, Patrick O'Hearn, Arthur Barrow, Scott Thunes .. I'm afraid Roy Estrada got banged up for 25 years earlier this year for molesting a 14 year old girl, so we won't be hearing from him!

What do you think?

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1354199630' post='1883456']
In just over a year's time, 4th December 2013, it will be the 20th anniversary of Frank Zappa's death.

Mike (urb) did a cracking interview for BGM last year with my bass hero Scott Thunes, and I had a thought that wouldn't it be amazing to get some interviews with Zappa's most notable bassists as a Zappa Bassists Special for this anniversary.

Maybe get some insights and anecdotes about what it was like to audition, record, rehearse, and play live with Zappa, what technical and aural skills were needed, how they triumphed or f***ed up, what tips they might have for learning tricky material quickly, did they get nervous, did they care about getting everything perfect, how they improvised or stuck to the exact notes, the hardest thing they remember having to do, etc etc etc. I know some of this is already available in various places so it would be good to get a new angle for interviews, but I reckon it would be damn interesting and useful.

I'd love to hear the opinions and stories from Jim Pons, Tom Fowler, Patrick O'Hearn, Arthur Barrow, Scott Thunes .. I'm afraid Roy Estrada got banged up for 25 years earlier this year for molesting a 14 year old girl, so we won't be hearing from him!

What do you think?
[/quote]

Funnily enough Nige Universal have done a deal (which I;m sure you're aware of) with the Zappa family and have been re-releasing a ton of the FZ back catalog which I'm happy to say is sitting on various shelves in my house - While I'm not sure it'd be feasible (without going on a massive time consuming mission) to track down all of Frank's top bass men I do think a review focusing on their different styles and the albums on which they appear would be a cracker well worth writing... I'll drop the Ed a line soon on that.

Mx

Edited by urb

My sub ends shortly. I was thinking about renewing but then in the last one I saw the audiotard feature on mains cables improving sound.

There is a reason why the ASA have slapped down every attempt to claim audible benefits when they've been made in actual adverts. And the reason is that it's bollocks. No passive non active filter mains cable can ever compensate for the sh*te that comes in the mains.

If the mag starts down than route then I will be sending monthly complaints to the ASA. There is enough evidentially bankrupt non-science in the world as it is.

Fretmeister, I'm sorry to read this aggressive slap at what many people have experienced is true. What you don't understand is that the electrons are diluted till they become unrecognisable, so they work more strongly. Stronger electrons don't need to prove themselves and are less likely to act in an unstable manner.

See?

best,
bert

Edited by BassTractor

Won't be getting my money. I think it's a really poor quality publication which smacks of "one-man-band publishing village syndrome".

Just take a look at their online review of the 2008 American Standard Precision. It's all about a Fender Jazz! I think the problem there is not enough time to check things ..... and when proof-reading takes a back seat in a publication, you know the quality has hit the floor almost everywhere else.

The review, for what it is, looks like a regurgitated press release anyway, so I can't imagine I'm missing much.

And the final funny is ... the reviewer gives the bass 3 out of 5 stars. The same as a Gibson Thunderbird Studio. Icon of rock n roll. Staple of the industry, rated as highly as a Thunderbird. I suppose that means, that according to that rag, I should go check out one of those? Yeah right.

I'll pass.

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1354554059' post='1887295']Just take a look at their online review of the 2008 American Standard Precision. It's all about a Fender Jazz![/quote]

I can imagine; "One is a basic instrument that's changed very little since it came off the factory assembly line....... and the other is ..........". ... then fill the rest of the page(s) with adverts for the same thing ........... in different colours.

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1354229977' post='1884021']
Fretmeister, I'm sorry to read this aggressive slap at what many people have experienced is true. What you don't understand is that the electrons are diluted till they become unrecognisable, so they work more strongly. Stronger electrons don't need to prove themselves and are less likely to act in an unstable manner.

See?

best,
bert
[/quote] :D :D

[quote name='Joel McIver' timestamp='1348853657' post='1819220']
Thanks chaps, all points read and noted. The mag has tons more cheap bass reviews in it now and we're about to begin a [b]bass restoration column[/b], both ideas gleaned from you lot. Cheers!
[/quote]

Looks like MDP is getting a column then...?

Hi Joel,
How about including articles and reviews written by readers of the mag or from sites like bass Chat. Maybe invite some jobbing bassists along to do interviews with the professionals, or review gear.
Please excuse any spelling and grammatical errors. (on nights and its 4am)
Jonathan

[quote name='jonunders' timestamp='1354594401' post='1887850']
Hi Joel,
How about including articles and reviews written by readers of the mag or from sites like bass Chat. Maybe invite some jobbing bassists along to do interviews with the professionals, or review gear.
Please excuse any spelling and grammatical errors. (on nights and its 4am)
Jonathan
[/quote]

this would be a great idea, i don't feel there is enough contribution from the regular player. could be interesting to have someone from the normal world rather than someone from some institute with a scholarship

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1354644249' post='1888666']
this would be a great idea, i don't feel there is enough contribution from the regular player. could be interesting to have someone from the normal world rather than someone from some institute with a scholarship
[/quote]

I think it depends on who you think is a 'regular player'? A professional,working player who gigs all the time but is not
necessarily 'big time',or a semi-pro or amateur player who gigs occasionally?

My thoughts when I posted my comments were based on well written and informative articles written in responce to questions posted on this site. There seems to be some very well informed and knowledgeable people out there who's responses are worthy of publication. Use their skills I say!

Jonathan

Edited by jonunders

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1354229977' post='1884021']

See?

best,
bert
[/quote]

ha ha ha!!! Only just found this thread again! That's ace.

[quote name='urb' timestamp='1354201656' post='1883510']
Funnily enough Nige Universal have done a deal (which I;m sure you're aware of) with the Zappa family and have been re-releasing a ton of the FZ back catalog which I'm happy to say is sitting on various shelves in my house - While I'm not sure it'd be feasible (without going on a massive time consuming mission) to track down all of Frank's top bass men I do think a review focusing on their different styles and the albums on which they appear would be a cracker well worth writing... I'll drop the Ed a line soon on that.

Mx
[/quote]

Yeah I know, I have been very naughty recently and bought a few from iTunes on impulse, marvellous!

I know what you mean, but your suggestion is a very good one, Mike, I like it! :D

Just my opinion but I'd like to see the removal of any song transcription. Most of that stuff is a google away and I'd rather be reading tips and tricks, player interviews, reviews and gear features.

I'd like to see the magazine take a more 'lifestyle' approach and cater more for the skint!

Just my opinions! And like arseholes...etc

I used to be an avid buyer of the old bassist magazine and still have quite a few copies which I dig out and re-read from time to time, for the last few years I have been playing guitar in a band and was buying both Guitar and Bass and the now defunct Guitar Buyer magazines, I have to admit that towards the end I got increasingly fed up with the "metal" direction Guitar buyer seemed to be going and I stopped buying it. I decided to give BGM a try and have brought 3 or 4 issues but I have really struggled to engage with them.

I think the bass world is really lacking some of the big personalities of old and I also think that mainstream music is missing those equally big basslines of old (the likes of Stevie Wonder, Pino with both Paul Young and Gary Numan, the whole new romantic scene with the likes of Heaven 17 and Duran Duran etc) I maybe wrong but the bass doesn't seem to be as cool as it once was.

I had commented to my wife whilst looking at a recent issue that nearly every bass reviewed was a 5 or 6 string monster offering it's future well heeled owner little change from 3 grand, something that after 20 plus years of playing to a good standard I still cannot ever envisage paying for a guitar, especially a brand new instrument! I am not afraid of spending decent money on a bass but find the high end exotica often reviewed of little or no interest and judging by the bands I am seeing they are not finding their way on to many stages.

Ok so to me you have limited perzazz to work with at the moment and sometimes it feels like there is a wealth of really low budget starter (and give up quickly) basses and lots of ultra high end (if only I could get a mortgage) basses and not a lot of exciting ones in between, so what would I like to see...you cant beat a good old shootout....how does a standard stingray compare against a similar priced Ibanez or Fender, what else fits the bill, what barges it's way into the shootout and says "I might not have the badge image but I can beat you all for quality and sound" I would like to see back to back comparisons between digital amps, transistor amps and good old heavy valve amps...I would like to see recommendations about used bases and guides as to their values and finally I would like to see recommendations as to where to find those great basslines that people must still be writing.

Whilst writing this I was racking my brain to think about what I really liked about the BGM's that I brought and one series of articles stood head and shoulders above everything else for me and that was what other musicians look for in a bass player, having just gone back from guitar to full time bass I found those articles really informative.

I would like to fall in love with your magazine and I will keeppicking up issues and see where it goes