Why become a member? ×

Slap bass skills

SpaceChick

Any new technique can take a while to learn, and waaaaaaaayyyyyy longer to master. To play slap proficiently (I'm still no master) I find that I have to relax.

Don't push it, just keep practicing and one day you'll have a "wow, that sounded pretty darn good" moment, so have a really wide grin at the ready.

Also, as a beginner I would heartily recommend taking it slow and concentrating on getting the notes clean (2nd most important thing in slap playing) and IN TIME (single most important thing when playing slap bass) - so I'd go for a metronome every time.

Slap bass technique can sometimes get a bit of a flaming on here, but if you're excited by the technique, and you really like the sound then go for it - don't feel that you shouldn't learn to slap, or that you are less of a 'musician' for slapping, because some internet people that you've never met tell you it's wrong.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1341265129' post='1716224']
Any new technique can take a while to learn, and waaaaaaaayyyyyy longer to master. To play slap proficiently (I'm still no master) I find that I have to relax.

Don't push it, just keep practicing and one day you'll have a "wow, that sounded pretty darn good" moment, so have a really wide grin at the ready.

Also, as a beginner I would heartily recommend taking it slow and concentrating on getting the notes clean (2nd most important thing in slap playing) and IN TIME (single most important thing when playing slap bass) - so I'd go for a metronome every time.

Slap bass technique can sometimes get a bit of a flaming on here, but if you're excited by the technique, and you really like the sound then go for it - don't feel that you shouldn't learn to slap, or that you are less of a 'musician' for slapping, because some internet people that you've never met tell you it's wrong.
[/quote]

Well said!

[/quote]

The rule of thumb - and well Slapped that man !

Garry

Edited by lowdown

It took me a while to be comfortable enough to be use slap in a band. But, I find it now very rewarding.
A few things that I have leaned over the years:

1) Some basses cannot be slapped.
Some models won't work. So, ask around and check your bass is OK. A Jazz Bass will be easier than a Violin Bass, etc...

2) Setup is important.
Strings too low and they rattle. Strings too high and it becomes very hard to pop.

3) New strings sound amazing.
I've made the most progress with a set of new strings, when you get that nice metallic bite, and when they bounce effortlessly.

4) I second Paul 5: focus on clarity and timing

5) You can slap anywhere.
On the bus or on the train: hit your thumb on something hard, say, while you listen to Level 42. ;)
... you'll get a good sound once you get that bounce right ... so, bounce that thump through the day to build velocity and stamina.

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1341256493' post='1715965']
How long did it take you to get it to sound OK?

Had my first experience on it in my lesson today and it's sooooooo hard, although I know I will be chuffed to bits when I can do it :D
[/quote]as long as it took for it to sound like music.. slap has such a taboo for such a strange reason.. and its because of crap fashion... there has never been such a curiosity for tapping, fingerstyle, pick playing, .. .. slap is a technique like any other musical technique.. it should be approached in the same way... imo keep some space in your slap playing.. it makes the world of difference

Edited by bubinga5

Thanks guys, all really useful comment there. Personally I love the sound :D

My teacher, who is awesome, has me taking it REALLY slowly and has emphasised the importance of keeping time. So i shall use a metronome I think.

Watch this space and thanks for the encouragement :D

Just to add (as I don't think it's been mentioned yet) that one of the most important (and often overlooked) elements of effective slap bass is your non slapping hand technique (ie your left hand for right handed players & vice versa for LH players)

It's this hand that, when properly employed, provides the crucial damping (to both aid/add syncopation and to keep things under control) and actually provides most of the percussive effect. Time spent developing your fretting/damping hand technique will pay divedends - just remember, it's not all about the thumb!

Cheers
Dave

[/quote]

Good point. My take on the bad reputation of slap is that it's because of all those light-speed slap exhibitionists that favour speed over musicality. But even that isn't really 'wrong' if you really like it.

In the context of a good song, it can work wonders - like most things really - but on its own . . . . . well, a 10 second burst might be OK but anything more is bordering on the inconsiderate.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1341302423' post='1716469']
Good point. My take on the bad reputation of slap is that it's because of all those light-speed slap exhibitionists that favour speed over musicality. But even that isn't really 'wrong' if you really like it.

In the context of a good song, it can work wonders - like most things really - but on its own . . . . . well, a 10 second burst might be OK but anything more is bordering on the inconsiderate.
[/quote]

Exactly, it was new and exciting in the seventies, people like Mark King raised the bar for technique in the early eighties, it all sounded a bit tired by the late eighties because it was everywhere.

Also quite a lot of slap players can only play the same old patterns in E or A and rely on open strings, triplets and speed to cover it up. Someone like Marcus Miller or Victor Wooten can slap any bassline cleanly, at any speed and in any key without using any of the tired old slapping tricks at all.... and make it sound good.

If you're going to play a slap bassline I'd suggest trying to be as melodic as you would be with any other technique, then add a few slappy tricks on top for effect.

[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1341305863' post='1716550']
If you're going to play a slap bassline I'd suggest trying to be as melodic as you would be with any other technique, then add a few slappy tricks on top for effect.
[/quote]

A melodic slap line can sound amazing -
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mZ87M4PloM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mZ87M4PloM[/url]

but I always view slap as a very percussive technique. Because of that you have to listen carefully to what the drummer is playing and sit in tight with him.

I still don't understand the problem that some people on here have with slap playing though. Yes, if it is done badly it is horrible - but so is badly played pick or finger style! I suspect that there is a bit of jealousy among those who can't do it very well! ;) Oh, and those who eschew Clutterbuckery :)

Edited by Conan

It's a funny thing slap bass for me. I am mightily impressed when someone can do it really well and have nothing but respect for players that can. Players like Wooten, Miller and Even Scott Whitley on here spring to mind. But it's a sound that grows tiresome on me quickly. There is only one player I can listen to all day slapping and do silly things on bass and that's Claypool. Probably because he does it in a way that's a bit different and odd ball. It's also a technique I've often thought I should learn but never have. I just don't play enough material that warrants that type of playing approach. If you can learn it, it's a good weapon in your playing arsenal for sure.

The thing to remember about slap bass is that unless you play in an 80s pop covers or Level 42 tribute band it is just another technique like playing fingerstyle or using a pick, to be brought out when the song requires it.

My rules are:
1. Keep it tasteful.
2. Keep it tuneful.
3. Keep it tight.

It's almost 20 years since I used it for anything more than accenting the occasional note(s), but my technique was always to work out what I wanted to play fingerstyle first. That way my basslines always supported the song first and foremost and it helped to stop falling into the obvious and easy slap clichés.

I`d never claim to be good at slap-bass, and am not that keen on it anyway, as it doesn`t fit in with the music styles I mainly like. I can play stuff like Ashes to Ashes by Bowie, This is Not a Love Song by Public Image Ltd, and the theme tune to the TV series Alias, but other than that, not really my thing.

However, since buying a Stingray, I may try and improve a bit on this area, as slap on a Precision never sounded good enough to me to proceed with. Likewise with playing with fingers. It never hurts to be able to cover areas out of the comfort zone.