Why become a member? ×

David Bowie tonight on BBC4

[s][/s]
[size=3]Bowie's first attempt at 'Facepalm' meme, subsequently dropped[/size]

[size=3][size=4]Yes, Indeedy. I'll be there. [/size][/size]

[size=3][size=4]Mick Ronson in culottes, Trevor Bolder's unfeasibly large side-burns, Woody Woodmansey's U-Boat. Let joy be unconfined![/size][/size]

[size=3][size=4]"Ziggy plaaaaaayed - git-tarr-arrrrrr."[/size][/size]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1340391494' post='1704044']
It's a year sinced I moved on from my Bowie Tribute band,[/quote]

I think I saw you on Only Fools & Horses, Ziggy Sawdust the singing carpenter! :happy:

Enjoyed it! Unfortunately one or two of the people they'd chosen to interview had some fairly moronic things to say which always gets my wick and were largely talking out of their arse. One of them dared to utter the phrase "The Velvet Underground were the most influential band of all time" which was annoying to say the least. Give me a million Gary Kemp's over those lot, he was a lot more plain-spoken about it all.

Edited by risingson

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1340402620' post='1704221']
Some great basslines in those songs. And in the live clip of Ashes to Ashes, who was the guy playing the slap-bass line?
[/quote]

Just watching it now and thought the same thing. At last, a tasteful slapper. B) Nice bass too.

[quote name='Bassman Sam' timestamp='1340409912' post='1704297']
Just watching it now and thought the same thing. At last, a tasteful slapper. B) Nice bass too.
[/quote]
Funny, I thought he overplayed the line just a fraction. Good playing nonetheless

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1340388931' post='1704002']
[s][/s]
[size=3]Bowie's first attempt at 'Facepalm' meme, subsequently dropped[/size]

[size=3][size=4]Yes, Indeedy. I'll be there. [/size][/size]

[size=3][size=4]Mick Ronson in culottes, Trevor Bolder's unfeasibly large side-burns, Woody Woodmansey's U-Boat. Let joy be unconfined![/size][/size]

[size=3][size=4]"Ziggy plaaaaaayed - git-tarr-arrrrrr."[/size][/size]
[/quote]

"Time takes a cigarette, put's it in your mouth,
You pull on your finger, then then another finger,
then you hear two farts". :D

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1340391595' post='1704047']
Yes, I'll be watching -[b] got myself a feather cut, dyed my hair ginger and am dressed as a woman in readiness.[/b]

I'll lick 'em by smiling! I'll leave 'em to hang!
[/quote]

Thought you did that every Friday night. :)

What an evening. I'd forgotten how powerful Bowie's presence was back then. His songwriting was inspirational, so not the run of the mill of the time. Brilliantly different. To write Alladin Sane while on a really hectic tour was just incredible.

One thing that came home to me last night was the influence of Mick Ronson on Bowie's songwriting and performance. I've always wondered why Bowie's songwriting took such a dramatic change after the Ziggy era. Maybe it has more to do with Mick Ronson than I first realised.

The programme presents his stage show as one of the first of it's kind, blending ideas from the world of art and mime, going through different costumes and makeup in one show. I'm not aware of anyone doing anything like that beforehand - anyone here know any different ?

I wouldn't be at all surprised to find myself in a Ziiggy / early Bowie tribute band at some time in the near future ;)

[color=#333333]Watching Bowie Night on BBC 4 last night confirmed three things 1. Back in the day, he was untouchable 2. He's done nowt worth mentioning for 25 years now and 3. Gail Ann Dorsey is fantastic.[/color]

[color=#333333]Nice to see Jim Bowen getting some work as the Spiders drummer, too...[/color]

Really enjoyed it, and learnt a fair bit that I and my wife (who loves bowie) didnt know about his writing development. Didnt get to watch them all so got queued up for tonight!

Seen a tribute band previously, but never bowie unfortunately - Absolute Bowie - who do an incredible version of moonage daydream - my absolute favourite bowie song.

Amazing bass lines through all his ziggy stuff and great fun to play.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1340392247' post='1704055']
I wanted to call it 'Homo Superior' but that was vehemently vetoed by the singer. That and 'Ziggy Sprayed Catarrh'
[/quote]
Thanks , I just sprayed tea!!