Why become a member? ×

"Real bass players don't use picks"

EdwardHimself

[quote name='garethfriend' timestamp='1339796214' post='1694712']
real players know when which style is more appropriate.
[/quote]

+1

I've always used both since I first started playing. When I'm jamming I tend to use fingers more but with my bands ATM I find most of the time that a pick is required for that extra kick

[quote name='stoker' timestamp='1339807525' post='1694887']
I use a pick and have never had any complaints over my playing.
Surely what matters more is what the player is more comfortable using?
[/quote]

The way I see it is it's the sound that matters. Play the song with your cock for all I care, if it sounds good it sounds good!

On that note, playing with your knob would be fairly impressive.

[quote name='stoker' timestamp='1339807525' post='1694887']
I use a pick and have never had any complaints over my playing.
Surely what matters more is what the player is more comfortable using?
[/quote]

Definitely!

I love the sound of a Stingray played with a pick through an SVT stack...
Instead I play a Peavey with my fingers through a bunch of pedals and a Markbass rig :P
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3](gets me pretty close, with a little extra personal touch!)[/size][/font][/color]

My rule of thumb is to play what feels right, then work on the sound!

Edited by chrismuzz

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1339809661' post='1694888']On that note, playing with your knob would be fairly impressive.
[/quote]

Damn it! Trip to the GUM clinic for me now, I just caught a nasty disease from my strings! ;)

OT, as a (still) newby to bass I tried both. Can play a helluva lot faster with a pick (as you'd expect from a reformed 6stringer), but really prefer the tone from using fingers. I did get some pretty cool results from my JS chromedome pick though, boomy drone-tones with the scratch technique B)

Edited by littlegreenman

"real bass players" know when a pick is needed to give that line a little twang or make their playing just that little bit more agressive IME yes you can get close to the sound with fingers but its never quite the same like playing a slap line with fingers it'll work n get you through it but its not the real deal

[quote name='Spike Vincent' timestamp='1339815344' post='1694909']
Lemmy.
[/quote]
[quote name='Johngh' timestamp='1339824238' post='1694921']
Geddy
[/quote]
[quote name='barneyg42' timestamp='1339828746' post='1694943']
Phil!
[/quote]

James

That's Namewang!

I pick all of my basses. Often by travelling to a reputable music shop, having a mooch around, playing a few and finally exchanging hard earned cash for the one that I like the best.

Sorry, that should be "choose" or "select" or a different verb.

As you were.

How did that sound? A bit like slap and pickle?

I'lll get me coat…...

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' timestamp='1339835458' post='1695031']
I once played bass with our singers sandwich when he wasn't looking in a rehersal.
[/quote]

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1339795082' post='1694664']
Nurse!! Grandpa is going on again!! :lol:

(who cares about pick/fingers/ears? if it sounds good, it is good)
[/quote]

I don't know... kids these days :P

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1339795131' post='1694667']
I use a pick just checked I am real.
[/quote]

How do you know you are real? How do you know you are not just a computer simulation created in order to power a big spaceship? Or something like that. Not watched that film in about 12 years lol.

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1339795553' post='1694685']
I used to think pick players were inferior. I've grown up a bit now though... Still play with fingers though, and i'm NOT a real bassist :lol:
[/quote]

Well that's just it. I must say I had a period when I thought that... when I was about 14.

[quote name='louisthebass' timestamp='1339796062' post='1694707']
I'd like to be able to use one - just don't seem to able to get on with 'em..... :mellow:
[/quote]

It's not easy. I think I take it for granted that I can use one having started off on guitar but it's not easy for everyone.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1339797308' post='1694749']
Aren't we a wee bit early with this year's Pick thread? I'm [i]sure[/i] someone told me it was arranged for August.

Oh well "Fingers ... drone ... pick ... yadda yadda ... hybrid style ... stick it between one's teeth or a quick palming action? ... blah ... what's right for the song ... double thumbing ... double entry..." (Will this do?)
[/quote]

I know, sorry. Just a bit angry about stupid kids posting comments on some bass facebook page last night.

[quote name='rushbo' timestamp='1339798589' post='1694779']
Does anyone really believe that? Seriously?
[/quote]

As I say, mostly inexperienced bedroom players who need to work on their humility.

I would like to be able to use a pick as think I would like to be able to play all styles such as finger , slap etc to get the desired sound out of my chosen bass , just not got on with them so far !

On the other hand, our much missed original guitarist in our Motown band never used a pick for guitar (he was also a phenomenal bassplayer!) and he was free to use his hands and fingers in a number of ways to achieve the required and could certainly do things impossible/challenging with a pick. There are plenty of other worthy guitarists who don't use picks in the 'rock' world - Wilko Johnson, Knoppfler etc (as opposed to classical/flamenco etc).

Plenty of non-pick bass players (including myself) use a variety of techniques in their set (palm muting with thumb and finger etc), there seems to be more freedom and flexibility using the bits on a bare hand than a pick.

Of course there's no right and wrong in this, we all know that, but I must admit if I was teaching someone bass from scratch, unless they were particularly wanting to use a pick, I would recommend they started with their fingers.