Why become a member? ×

Worst bass players

xgsjx

[quote name='Nibody' timestamp='1339788067' post='1694502']

So it could be claimed that Duck Dunn was rubbish? In my book someone who plays with feel and gets in what is needed (not what makes them look good) is the better bass player than someone like Sheehan or the countless people playing Slap on Youtube or in any given music shop across the country.

Just my tuppence ha'peny
[/quote]

1. Be sure to listen to Paul Jone's show next week, tribute to Donald Dunn (i-player if you have to).

2. I love the idea that self-gratuitous slap occurs only in music shops and on You Tube!

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1339777011' post='1694255']
... to be followed by 'what's your most disliked colour?' - actually that would make more sense than this.
[/quote]

Yet you just can't stop yourself posting in it! :D

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1339783505' post='1694411']And if the concept of 'worst' is so damnably offensive to so many of our brethren, why did they read it rather than simply pass by on the other side? :)
[/quote]

Ex-bloody-sactly. :)

[quote name='billyapple' timestamp='1339663670' post='1692064']
Well, I'm not so sure.. Only the one keyboard, but prog, surely?

And the best way to finish a number, courtesy of Mr Scabies..

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9bkiCKiwZA[/media]
[/quote]

I don't think one keyboard and doing the Chico Marx thing with his index finger counts as prog. He's not even wearing a cloak. An there's nothing in the lyrics about a starship wizard with a tomato in his wardrobe. There is a bass solo at the end, so maybe it's jazz?

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1339536981' post='1690316']
In defence of Rob Trujillo....

Sod Metallica. Check out Suicidal Tendencies & Infectious Grooves.

[/quote]
Exactly what I was gonna say. I still love sarsipious ark
Awsome bass lines in that album.

Unfortunately bass lines & modern Metallica do not go together, I still feel like the band are not using him correctly or know how to get the best from him which is a shame, he still looks like he is employed by Metallica rather than being a band member

Edited by fumps

Surprised again to see Jeff Ament in the list.

Have started a new covers band recently and learnt a couple of Pearl Jam covers. Ok, some of his lines aren't the most inventive, but he busts out some rather quick finger funk from time to time which is fairly impressive. Have a listen to Porch from Ten for an example. He had a style that wasn't exactly your standard 90's rock bass.

Novoselic perhaps wasn't the most technical player, but how technical do you want a bassist to be in Nirvana? Any more than what he did would have been overplaying, plus he wrote some great lines. Lounge Act is a great bass line.

Mark Hoppus is pretty crap though.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1339783505' post='1694411']
In defence of this thread, the OP was posting tongue in cheek.
[/quote]
How could you tell?

And if the concept of 'worst' is so damnably offensive to so many of our brethren, why did they read it rather than simply pass by on the other side?
[/quote]
Neither 'offensive' nor 'damnably' so, in my view, but no one could possibly know either way without reading the thread. Passing by on the other side would leave the non-reader without an opportunity for an informed opinion.

In any event, there are very few 'new' topics on this forum and 'worst / best' is always guaranteed to drive a bit of page traffic.
[/quote]
I agree.

[quote name='fumps' timestamp='1339860733' post='1695558']he still looks like he is employed by Metallica rather than being a band member[/quote]

Yeah, ain't that the truth. I'd never really been able to see what I saw, but you put it to words.

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1339787190' post='1694481']
The guy from Manic Street Preachers whose name I cant remember or be bothered to look up... Oh, and Sheenan. He's just a guitard with a four string!
[/quote]

That'd be their main songwriter Nicky Wire. His songwriting is far more interesting than his bass playing.

Which leads me onto why threads like this are generally so dull. There's far more reason for me to enjoy something someone has written incredibly well (lyrics, melody, harmony) than there is for me to hear something played note perfect. Sum of all the parts and that.

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1339873030' post='1695819']

That'd be their main songwriter Nicky Wire. His songwriting is far more interesting than his bass playing.

Which leads me onto why threads like this are generally so dull. There's far more reason for me to enjoy something someone has written incredibly well (lyrics, melody, harmony) than there is for me to hear something played note perfect. Sum of all the parts and that.
[/quote]

Except its a 'worst bass players' thread, so his songwriting ability is irrelevant... He's a crap bassist. End of.

Edited by skej21

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1339879113' post='1695906']
Except its a 'worst bass players' thread, so his songwriting ability is irrelevant... [b]He's a crap bassist. End of.[/b]
[/quote]

Wasn't aware you word was gospel? Plenty of others would disagree I'm sure, he inspired a generation of people to take up music, bass, whatever, one or two I know of who've gone on to be the most accomplished musicians and writers I have the pleasure of knowing. My ex-Guitar player for one, an outstanding musician.

I suppose the bit I struggle the most is the opinion put forward as fact, these kinds of threads are rife with it.

Edited by risingson

When I think of a crap bassist I think of someone who plays out of time, out of key, or really sloppily. As unexciting as a lot of mainstream music's basslines are I find it hard to say that the person playing them is crap. I prefer solid root notes with a great tone, than sloppy scale running farts any day!

And that's coming from a prog metal 6 string bass w***er :lol:

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1339896925' post='1696095']

Wasn't aware you word was gospel?

I suppose the bit I struggle the most is the opinion put forward as fact, these kinds of threads are rife with it.
[/quote]

Yet you still read the thread and contribute despite your disagreement. If you don't enjoy these type of threads, don't read them. It really is that simple. Nobody on here genuinely believes that their opinion is a blanket truth that every other person follows.

It's just an expression of a person's passion to say '*insert bass player* is an amazing/crap bassist!'... The 'IMO' is always implied.

Maybe stop taking everything literally and lighten up a bit?

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1339922158' post='1696197']
Yet you still read the thread and contribute despite your disagreement. If you don't enjoy these type of threads, don't read them. It really is that simple.
[/quote]
This is nonsense. People are at liberty to contribute disagreement as much as agreement and they can't do either without reading the thread (or at least a proportion of it).

It really is that simple.

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1339922158' post='1696197']
Maybe stop taking everything literally and lighten up a bit?
[/quote]
Well, given that you earlier said...

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1339879113' post='1695906']
Except its a 'worst bass players' thread, so his songwriting ability is irrelevant... He's a crap bassist. End of.
[/quote]
... that seems to be the pot calling the kettle black. Maybe you should take your own advice.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1339872041' post='1695789']
[quote]skankdelvar, on 15 June 2012 - 07:05 PM, said:

In defence of this thread, the OP was posting tongue in cheek. [/quote]
How could you tell?
[/quote]

:) It was just that I read the following post by the OP and thought "Oh, it's a tongue in cheek sort of thread, then".

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1339593490' post='1691067']
Like I've said already, the 10 bassists I put at the start is the same 10 bassists I put in the "10 best bassists" thread. <snip>I thought some might have seen the humour in the list <snip>I can understand some folk won't get my (crap) sense of humour, unless you've read some of my other posts. [/quote]

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1339936590' post='1696433']

This is nonsense. People are at liberty to contribute disagreement as much as agreement and they can't do either without reading the thread (or at least a proportion of it).

It really is that simple.

Well, given that you earlier said...

... that seems to be the pot calling the kettle black. Maybe you should take your own advice.
[/quote]

Well said! 99% of the 'discussions' from these kind of threads come from a pot calling another.

Edited by skej21