Why become a member? ×

Any tips for keeping the volume down at gigs

thebassman

My band tends to play a lot of pub/ club gigs and volume is becoming more of a problem.

We sound check a few songs, and although our sound is very balanced, we tend to play to the volume of the drums.

Not sure what to do to get the drummer to play quieter, without threatening amputation :D

He just seems to play enthusiastically and is very good.

It seems most of the drummers i have played in a band with seem to have this problem.

Any suggestions??

cheers

thebassman

I engineer for a few bands with this very issue. You basically have to be a quiet as the loudest instrument to get heard, and drums have a habit of being loud and getting louder as the night progresses. Really the only other option is to use a electronic drum kit.. But of course I would never want to be the one to suggest this to a drummer as I like my fingers..

Mieko.

It's an issue, we have the same one too. Our drummer is a very good drummer technically, but hit's 'em hard, and struggles to hold back when asked. You can start with the best intentions, but once the adrenalin kicks in, it's hard to calm it down again. Also, the guitarist is more than happy to keep turning up as the gigs goes on, of course, which results in me clattering the strings hard to punch through. Actually, it's so loud, that normally it's the singer who ends up being lost in the mix, and he gets really fed up, to the point where he has now given notice to leave us.

It's all down to self control I'm afraid. You all have to sit down and discuss it, and once you're happy with the balance in a sound check, you must stick with that religiously, and resist the urge to get carried away. The drummer is very much the linchpin in that, and must play according to the circumstances. Any good musician should be able to do that.

Thinner sticks, as Bremen says. Our old drummer was incredibly quick around the kit, but as he used very thin sticks, his volume was never a problem. Contrast that to most of the heavy rock bands I`ve played in, where the drummers have used thick/thickest sticks, who have been loud to the point of being painful. Thin sticks certainly work!

Thinner sticks seems to be the consensus then, I know what I will be buying for his birthday.

Believe me I like loud music, but when your audience starts leaving because of the volume, that's not good. I have taken to using In ear monitoring, for a good mix, and to save my hearing.
Cheers guys
Thebassman

Only works with certain styles (not really rock so much as pop or in my case gospel) but our drummer uses (I sh*t you not) chopsticks. The realy hard ones you get not the disposable ones He hits as hard as he can and it sounds great but way quieter, still loads of energy and great tone.

Takes a very talented drummer that's not afraid of looking silly though. Been meanin to get a video of him doing it. he's a huge black guy too!

I can sympathise with the sentiment as we have a loud drummer who uses heavy sticks, but wonder if we bass players would accept it if the rest of the band told us to play with gloves on, use rubber picks or ganged up to set our amp gain to cap our volume.
I think commitment by the drummer to practise to be able to play with a light touch when required is the way to go. Musicianship. Or buy Perspex screens and refuse to mic him would be another way. :)

Recognising bad rooms with reflective surfaces and agreeing as a band before you start that we're gunna sound sh*t tonight if we don't all keep it to a realistic level, is always a good start. :huh:

[quote name='Mark_Andertons' timestamp='1339360958' post='1687522']
Only works with certain styles (not really rock so much as pop or in my case gospel) but our drummer uses (I sh*t you not) chopsticks. The realy hard ones you get not the disposable ones He hits as hard as he can and it sounds great but way quieter, still loads of energy and great tone.

Takes a very talented drummer that's not afraid of looking silly though. Been meanin to get a video of him doing it. he's a huge black guy too!
[/quote]

That's brilliant, I'd pay to see that.

Balancing the volume to the gig isn't difficult but it does require all band members to use their ears and brains. I've been in bands where no one is listening to the band, only themselves! I didn't stay long!

There is loud gear for paying loudly and quieter gear for playing quietly. You should use the right gear for your playing situation.

Then you should have the technique to be able to play your gear properly and the ears and intelligence to play as a unit.

If you are always chasing a band member because they "get louder" then talk to them and get them to stop it. A band where the dynamics and volume are out of balance is not a good band no matter how good the individual players are.

Single ply batter heads, no resonant heads on the toms (even the floor tom) or kick. Use some tape and cotton pads to control tom ring (esp floor tom). Tape up the lugs where the bottom head screwed in to stop rattles.

Take a tea towel (or two if hes a nutter) and put them [i]inside[/i] the snare (literally take off the snares & resonant head, tape a tea towel in there so an inch is pressed into the batter head, and a couple of inches are going to rest against the resonant head when it is replaced), really you can get a super tidy snare sound, but you have to be very careful with placement of the towel, its time consuming, sticking it in place will kill a lot of volume etc. If this goes wrong halfway through the gig the drummer will impale you on a stick as the entire towel falls onto the resonant head and his £500 snare goes from a nice but quieter [i][b]whack![/b][/i] to a pathetic whup...

Use a towel with about 2" to 4" of overhang onto the kick batter head, then mic up the kick (it will be so much quietr that you will be able to do this.

Tune the kit to its absolute lowest resonant frequency, it will sound bigger,m but project far less when attempting to get as low as possible for each drum, Bob Gatzenburg does a good series on this on youtube.

Do it right and the kit will sound fine, but you get to watch your drummer having a hernia trying to achieve the usual face melting volume from the kit. He will hate it, until you mic it up to get it loud enough. On its own he will struggle to make a dent in a loud conversation at a bar...

Edited by 51m0n

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1339421987' post='1688156']
Single ply batter heads, no resonant heads on the toms (even the floor tom) or kick. Use some tape and cotton pads to control tom ring (esp floor tom). Tape up the lugs where the bottom head screwed in to stop rattles.

Take a tea towel (or two if hes a nutter) and put them [i]inside[/i] the snare (literally take off the snares & resonant head, tape a tea towel in there so an inch is pressed into the batter head, and a couple of inches are going to rest against the resonant head when it is replaced), really you can get a super tidy snare sound, but you have to be very careful with placement of the towel, its time consuming, sticking it in place will kill a lot of volume etc. If this goes wrong halfway through the gig the drummer will impale you on a stick as the entire towel falls onto the resonant head and his £500 snare goes from a nice but quieter [i][b]whack![/b][/i] to a pathetic whup...

Use a towel with about 2" to 4" of overhang onto the kick batter head, then mic up the kick (it will be so much quietr that you will be able to do this.

Tune the kit to its absolute lowest resonant frequency, it will sound bigger,m but project far less when attempting to get as low as possible for each drum, Bob Gatzenburg does a good series on this on youtube.

Do it right and the kit will sound fine, but you get to watch your drummer having a hernia trying to achieve the usual face melting volume from the kit. He will hate it, until you mic it up to get it loud enough. On its own he will struggle to make a dent in a loud conversation at a bar...
[/quote]

Sounds like fun :D