Why become a member? ×

Punk Britannia basses

Beedster

JJB was playing a very shiny new black jazz bass with maple neck on one of the clips.
I wonder how things would have sounded with the equipment we have today .how would home recording and internet downloads have affected the overall scheme of things.
It was a grim time when you see the backgrounds.In an odd way we were quiet happy.
The standard of live performances nowadays musician wise is much higher when you hear some of the clips even compared to your local pub band but has the spark been put out ?
I still play my Rick through a marshall with a little help from a preamp,sounds the danglers.

Think you`re right there, some of the spark has definitely gone. Watching the bands from then, the singers had their own style of moving on stage, not the mass produced moves that "have to be done" that are the norm now. Plus, yes, some of the musicianship, especially the sounds, were a bit here and there, but, it all sounded so good and exciting, instead of polished and refined. I reckon if todays equipment had been used, punk wouldn`t have been so good, and JJB especially would probably have never found that classic bass sound.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1339327977' post='1686808']
Think you`re right there, some of the spark has definitely gone. Watching the bands from then, the singers had their own style of moving on stage, not the mass produced moves that "have to be done" that are the norm now. Plus, yes, some of the musicianship, especially the sounds, were a bit here and there, but, it all sounded so good and exciting, instead of polished and refined. I reckon if todays equipment had been used, punk wouldn`t have been so good, and JJB especially would probably have never found that classic bass sound.
[/quote]

Agree with all of that, especially the 'mass produced moves' bit. Was really refreshing to see Ian Curtis. Richard Jobson et al giving it large without a choreographer - or at least a generic X-Factor style choreographer - in sight. So much of the energy and emotion of music went out with the bathwater in the post-punk 80's and in many genres it's yet to return. There are of course exceptions.

[quote name='bassmachine2112' timestamp='1339323331' post='1686725']
JJB was playing a very shiny new black jazz bass with maple neck on one of the clips.

[/quote]

Miming...The Stranglers rarely took their own kit to TV performances,using whatever they could scrounge.Hence the Jazz,and the aforementioned use of a Rickenbacker on a German TV show.

[quote name='Spike Vincent' timestamp='1339330355' post='1686868']
Miming...The Stranglers rarely took their own kit to TV performances,using whatever they could scrounge.Hence the Jazz,and the aforementioned use of a Rickenbacker on a German TV show.
[/quote]

Yep, I was starting to wonder if the Beeb had a standard 4001 they used for punk bands (like the old Telecaster Bass that always cropped up with prog bands on the OGWT), but they were all different instruments on the Punk show last Friday. And re JJB's Jazz, agreed, you can't draw any real conclusions about what the guys [i]actually[/i] played live or in the studio from what they have with them at a TV appearance, especially given that sometimes all the musicians in one entire edition of a programme would be playing the same gear!

[quote name='Spike Vincent' timestamp='1339319121' post='1686666']
Indeed.I don't recall seeing JJB on the Punk Brittania programmes either,but his name was brought up earlier.
[/quote]

JJB was in the first program when they were disscusing the roots of punk rock broadcast the friday before. He was only in it for a quick chat.

I think the reason a few have suggested that one or two of the bands are pushing the definition of punk is that punk proper really only had a shelf life of about two years (76-78) before it was superseded by New Wave. Seems to me that many of the bands featured should more properly be referred to as New Wave bands. And if you didn't start out as one and your singer hadn't died of a smack overdose or something by 1978, you became a New Wave band by virtue of your longevity!

[quote name='Bass Culture' timestamp='1339337368' post='1686991']I think the reason a few have suggested that one or two of the bands are pushing the definition of punk is that punk proper really only had a shelf life of about two years (76-78) before it was superseded by New Wave.[/quote]

I don't know where you got that information from but in my opinion Punk from 79-82 was just as popular, as the punk that preceded it. Bands like Angelic Upstarts, The Dead Kennedys, Sham 69, The Adicts, The Cockney Rejects, Black Flag, The Anti-Nowhere League, the whole Oi! movement etc. I could go on for ages. Just because it wasn't on TOTP doesn't mean it wasn't popular. And if you argue that it was, then I think you'll find there was a fair amount of punk on TOTP after '78 too.

[quote name='WHUFC BASS' timestamp='1339344684' post='1687134']
I don't know where you got that information from but in my opinion Punk from 79-82 was just as popular, as the punk that preceded it. Bands like Angelic Upstarts, The Dead Kennedys, Sham 69, The Adicts, The Cockney Rejects, Black Flag, The Anti-Nowhere League, the whole Oi! movement etc. I could go on for ages. Just because it wasn't on TOTP doesn't mean it wasn't popular. And if you argue that it was, then I think you'll find there was a fair amount of punk on TOTP after '78 too.
[/quote]

Damn right. GBH,Discharge,Crass,the many bands on Crass records,UK Subs,Violators,Vice Squad,Rudimentary Peni,Subhumans,there's a big long list.One could argue that after all those Art School Punk bands gave up,that is when Punk became the grass roots movement it was supposed to be.

I think it's easier to categorise the periods in time than the bands themselves.

All the bands were different to each other, had their own musical signature/identity and to group them, in my opinion, is to do them all a dis-service.

You could categorise the periods you're referring to as:
- the bands that provided the initial kick up the arse and
- the wave of bands that cemented the reformation and built the new foundation

CB.

[quote name='WHUFC BASS' timestamp='1339344684' post='1687134']
[/quote]
[quote name='Spike Vincent' timestamp='1339351477' post='1687299']
Damn right. GBH,Discharge,Crass,the many bands on Crass records,UK Subs,Violators,Vice Squad,Rudimentary Peni,Subhumans,there's a big long list.One could argue that after all those Art School Punk bands gave up,that is when Punk became the grass roots movement it was supposed to be.
[/quote]

+1 I agree with with both of the above. Which leads to an interesting debate.. Who or what is punk, who owns punk, is punk, music, attitude or ideology?

The most punk thing I've seen was Jah Wobble and Keith Levene play Metal Box In Dub a couple of weeks ago. I finally understood punk is not just about noisy guitars, but taking what is around you, refusing to accept barriers and making something completely new... and that, folks is ongoing and never ending.

Alternatively, you could confront your prejudices and have a listen to the Cockney Rejects' 'Oi Oi Oi' It doesn't get much more 'street' and 'real' than these guys...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWLU76o5rEI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWLU76o5rEI[/url]

For me, punk can be split into 2 parts:

Part 1 - Pistols, Clash, Buzzcocks, Damned, etc. Bands that all looked remarkably different from one another, and in fact, the band members themselves looked different from each other. All the bands looked odd maybe, but easy to tell apart.

Part 2 - GBH, Exploited, Anti Nowhere League, Discharge etc. Bands that looked very similar, with, to an outside view, a set "look".

Both parts had their great bands, and some not so good ones. For me, I prefer the earlier stuff, though have selections of both in my music collection.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1339361121' post='1687529']
Punk was a short-lived fashion thing ... it lasted slightly longer than hot pants.

:ph34r:

And now, flame away. ;)
[/quote]

Nice try squire ... there's plenty of fishing programmes on National Geographic ... keep digging ... :D

[quote name='bassmachine2112' timestamp='1339239001' post='1685700']
I got my first Rick for £270 brand new in midnight blue in 1979.,P was about £240.
I think it was midnight blue as it was almost jetglo at a distance.
Lovely colour.I,ve never seen one as dark as this since.
I think the reason was that nobody realy wanted them at the time.It was all Aria,Ibanez which were great instruments and cheap for what they were when compared to the big american stuff.
I remember the first Aria I saw and could not believe how good it was and the price was a revelation.Sqiers were another story.
Still got my Squier and Aria,build quality is superb and they still do the business.
[/quote]

In '79 yours would have been Azureglo; they didn't do Midnight Blue then (which is a metallic). FWIW Gaye Advert also used an Azure 4001, a pic of which first inspired my love for the colour.

Got my first (new) 4001 in 1980 for £295 IIRC. Considering a Kay P copy cost something like £100 that wasn't too bad at all. In the '80s you could pick 'em up for £250 a pop, even older ones, as they were seriously out of fashion. Wish I'd had more money then!

Beedster, I remember loads of Rics in punk, as evidenced by the clips. Punk and Prog and not much else.....