Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Knackered Barrel Jack Sockets - A Prevention Tip

xilddx

I saw someone on here write recently that they stand their bass up "leaning against the jack plug" when not in use. :blink:
I've seen two Teles have their sockets ripped out when they fall over doing that.

Yup, all my leads have an angled jack at one end.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1339067475' post='1683104']
Ugh. I can never get a proper hold on the unlocking mechanism once I've got sweaty gig hands which means swapping basses with one of these on mid-gig too much hard work for me. I wouldn't knowingly have another instrument with one fitted.
[/quote]
Yeah, locking shouldn't be necessary.

Hey,

I just logged on to ask a question about this very topic. I had one fitted probably a year and a half ago and it's already broken, is that about normal cos it seems a bit short to me. I'll give the right angled jacks a go, but I have an angled jack socket and wrap the lead around the strap so I can't see it helping much?

Cheers

Tom

Our eldest switches guitars, and uses a magnetic jack. Held firmly in place for playing, it's simple, quick, robust and noiseless when swapping. On bass, one would perhaps swap less, but just thought I'd mention it.
+1 for angled jacks for bass.

[quote name='tm486' timestamp='1339068447' post='1683121']
Hey,

I just logged on to ask a question about this very topic. I had one fitted probably a year and a half ago and it's already broken, is that about normal cos it seems a bit short to me. I'll give the right angled jacks a go, but I have an angled jack socket and wrap the lead around the strap so I can't see it helping much?

Cheers

Tom
[/quote]

And I was just going to reply to BRX that an up-angled barrel socket pretty much forces the need for straight jacks, and therefore an engineering design stupidity in most cases.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1339068673' post='1683130']
And I was just going to reply to BRX that an up-angled barrel socket pretty much forces the need for straight jacks, and therefore an engineering design stupidity in most cases.
[/quote]

With regards to how long they last, how long do your's normally last before you have to change them?

[quote name='tm486' timestamp='1339069011' post='1683139']
With regards to how long they last, how long do your's normally last before you have to change them?
[/quote]

I never have to (so far), as I use angle jacks :)

However, I had to swap the barrel socket on my current (s/h) Warwick Streamer, it was f***ed. Probably due to straight jacks being used.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1339069183' post='1683145']
I never have to (so far), as I use angle jacks :)

However, I had to swap the barrel socket on my current (s/h) Warwick Streamer, it was f***ed. Probably due to straight jacks being used.
[/quote]

Lol, fair enough. I guess I'll have to just repair it as and when then.

Cheers,

Tom

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1339069183' post='1683145']
[/quote]

That's actually a well documented design features of Warwick basses (I love Warwicks to bits but lord knows how many jack sockets I've had to replace over the years... reflects badly on how many have passed through my hands :D ).

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1339086361' post='1683463']
always use the angled end when I can just makes more sense.
Thinking of changing them to the oval plates or the tele style electro socket .
[/quote]

Beware the Electrosocket doesn't allow yer average right-angle jack plug to fit in flush.

Edited by The Bass Doc

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1339064705' post='1683030']
I have come to the realisation that one should never use straight jacks, always use an angle jack.
[/quote]

Not sure what your rationale is for using an angle jack, could you explain why please? This is a genuine query as I've "been straight" for 40 years and never had a knackered barrell!

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1339113962' post='1684059']
Not sure what your rationale is for using an angle jack, could you explain why please? This is a genuine query as I've "been straight" for 40 years and never had a knackered barrell!
[/quote]

Not only that, but one can't play fast with angle jacks. There's a reason that T5 data lines never have a sharp angle, and always make slow turns with a radius of at least 1 meter. :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1339083530' post='1683405']
That's actually a well documented design features of Warwick basses (I love Warwicks to bits but lord knows how many jack sockets I've had to replace over the years... reflects badly on how many have passed through my hands :D ).
[/quote]

My one still works fine, touch wood! That said, I use straight ended jacks but I always loop the cable through my strap to take the weight off the end and stop me damaging the socket by treading on the cable. I should get some angled jack cables as I mostly play sitting down now, even live (what a joy that is).

About 18 years ago I had the bright idea of installing a jack plug on my lead that screwed onto a supplied nut that you had to fit to the Bass. I'm not quite sure why I did it, I had been in a band where the lead Guitarist had the habit of standing on my leads and pulling them out, but only of the amp, not my Bass... Of course, when I sold that Bass guess who forgot to remove the special nut...? One useless lead left.

As people are talking about jack plates too... I know these are incredibly cheesy but I am thinking about a BC Rich Warlock here... I have seen these Jack socket plates and Truss Rod covers, they have skulls and bones and stuff on 'em! But I'm not keen on ordering from the US and was wondering if anyone knew of anywhere in the UK that might sell something similar?

http://guitarheads.net/products/hardware/plates/plates.html (about 1/3rd down the page)

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1339189464' post='1685279']
That's because I changed it before I sold you it Chris! :o :lol:
[/quote]

Quite the handy man! I willbe recieving a bass in a few days with the neck off, would you be able to lend your skills in putting it together/setting it up? You'll get first go!