Why become a member? ×

Hanging......

yorks5stringer

[quote name='jaydentaku' timestamp='1339106796' post='1683960']
As some say. Ie is the browser you use to download other browsers.

Firefox for windows
Safari for osx
Chrome for Linux
[/quote]

ANYTHING except IE seems to work ok!

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1339712287' post='1693340']
Seems like the world is getting increasingly fed up with IE, not just using it but also having to keep tweaking their websites to support it.

Here's an interesting development: [url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18440979"]http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-18440979[/url]
[/quote]

Has always been the way. IE has got better over the years. I still have to keep one site I manage compatible with IE6. Which can be about as fun as putting your balls in a vice. At least it's not 5.5 though, which was worse than 5.

I worked for a company once that offered a "free PC" for users of their website that had problems using a mac. Didn't last long, but the numbers worked.

I've long lost the ability to do any meaningful website coding and have a lot of respect for those who still can and do.

But I do remember the heady days when 'the web' started to emerge around 1990 and a useful web page could be thrown together with a few html tags. Sure, it was nowhere near as versatile as it is today, but I do sometimes wonder how much complexity (and legacy) is forced onto developers purely for the sake of style and appearance.

The amount of time, money and computing resources all this consumes is huge. A bit like windows really. PCs may run a zillion times faster than in the 80s and have gazillions more memory and storage, but how much of this is dissipated within the OS before the PC ever gets around to doing a bit of work for the increasingly-frustrated user?

I used to be able to do word processing, spreadsheets and email with an 8-bit Z80 running at a few MHz, but these days I need a relative supercomputer to do the same things - or more accurately, a supercomputer to run windows and a few of its spare CPU cycles to do my word processing, spreadsheets and emails. No wonder Bill and Steve made such a fortune; it's the best con ever.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1339774951' post='1694206']
:lol:
And I thought I was behind the times by still running XP.
[/quote]

Only Kidding, I am running XP Pro. Even downgraded my newish laptop. Most of the CCTV & Access Control kit I work with wont run with anythng newer. We have still got a few old systems that will only run on 95, but I aint going down that road.

Wasnt kidding about IE though.

• 2 months later...

Just revisiting this issue, as it has been getting worse lately with me clicking on threads, then the individual messages and nothing happening, it locking up and having to close the browser and starting again.

So I've upgraded to IE v 9 courtesy of some MS TV adverts reminding me, and everything now works fine!