Why become a member? ×

Seriously considering giving up bass & moving back to synths.

xgsjx

I started as a keys player (got a Bontempi when I was about 5 & progressed over the years through better & more keyboards/synths/drum machines/sequencers). Had a few keyboards for the 1st 5 or so years of my bass playing & then got rid of them all in 1990 (to fund better bass gear).

Now I'm tempted back. I enjoy programming sounds. Whether that be pushing buttons & looking at a small screen or turning dials & knobs until I get the sounds I want.

My bass playing has taken a back seat. I'm in a position just now where I get NO time with the band, had to turn down a few gigs & just don't enjoy playing bass alone & it's getting to me. At least with keys I can make entire songs.
At present (or the near future) I couldn't even start a new band closer to home due to personal circumstances.

I don't know why I'm posting this really, as I can't be talked out of it (unless personal circumstances change dramatically).
I suppose I just wanted to let you guys know my plans.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' timestamp='1338884360' post='1680354']

I don't know why people think they have to limit themselves to one instrument. Get some keyboards, keep the bass and just go back to it when you feel more into it. Problem solved.
[/quote]

+1 Played a great gig on bass on Sunday afternoon, then spent yesterday afternoon creating some kind of dancefloor monster on my Motif XS. It doesn't have to be an either/or situation. Just enjoy yourself - that's what it's about isn't it?

Edited by Panamonte

I'd like to keep the gear & just get a keyboard to add to my instrument collection, but there's no spare cash. It would be a case of whatever I get for my gear gets spent on keys stuff. So probably selling my guitar & maracas too!

Definitely keep some of the gear. You`ve contributed a lot to various posts over the time I`ve been a member of Basschat, so to me it seems obvious that you have a good understanding and knowledge of the instrument, and these usually come from an initial love of the instrument. You may not enjoy playing bass on its own at present, but a while down the line that may change, so don`t bin it all would be my advice, however, if keys are your "thing" it`s probably the right move to go back to them. I sold all my guitar equipment, when I came back to bass seriously, aside from one guitar and a small practice amp. Hardly ever use them, but every now and then I give it a blast and it`s great fun. I`m so glad I didn`t sell it all.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1338883179' post='1680337']
Bummer. I suppose if you're not enjoying it then it's time to move on - do bear in m ind though that with keys you're routed to one place unless you've got an awful 'key-tar' or similar,

Urgh.
[/quote]

Don't know what you're talking about, the Key-tar is the future. ;)

I had this same problem, the bands I was in broke up and I was left as a bedroom player. I soon got bored of bass playing/transcribing in my room so I switched to classical & electric guitar and just never got tired of it - if I did join a new band i'd still want to be a bass or rhythm guitar player but for now there's no going back, i'm enjoying my new toys

As others have said it shouldn't be an either/or situation.

I spent most of the 80s playing synths in a band I originally auditioned for as a bassist. Using the bass (and guitar) as writing tools and then figuring out how to get the same feel on keyboards and sequencers kept my music different to what other synth bands were doing at the time.

If you need the money and are sure you won't be playing bass live any time soon then sell your amp and speakers but keep your bass for writing and arranging ideas. At least keyboards and synths are far more affordable nowadays then they were when I started playing. Back then a very average mono synth would have cost at least £250 and you'd be looking at £1000+ for a decent polysynth.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1338883179' post='1680337']
Bummer. I suppose if you're not enjoying it then it's time to move on - do bear in m ind though that with keys you're routed to one place unless you've got an awful 'key-tar' or similar,

Urgh.
[/quote]

And what exactly is wrong with a keytar?

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/Mike-RR.jpg[/IMG]

I'm in the same boat. Keep hold of your bass gear if you can - you may find yourself in the inverse situation you are in now. That said, it'll be easier/affordable to get hold of decent bass gear than certain synths.

I started on bass myself and caught the synth bug in the mid-90s, when you could still buy analogue synths for reasonable prices and amassed a room full of analogue monos and polys. I have none of it left now (just one bass and a 60w Marshall combo) and dearly wish I didn't have to sell it (the collection was whittled down over the last five years).

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1338894197' post='1680588']
And what exactly is wrong with a keytar?

[/quote]

ha ha, that's exactly what's wrong with key-tar!

nice one though BRX - you're some guy! Great stories, cool history.

[quote name='Green Alsatian' timestamp='1338897641' post='1680714']
I'm in the same boat. Keep hold of your bass gear if you can - you may find yourself in the inverse situation you are in now. That said, it'll be easier/affordable to get hold of decent bass gear than certain synths.
[/quote]

That's why I suggested getting rid of the amp and speakers only. Each time I've stepped away from playing bass guitar live when I've come back, bass amplification has been smaller, lighter, more powerful, more versatile in sound and cheaper than it was before. The instruments themselves have stayed pretty much them same especially if you favour the more traditional designs.

If I can afford to keep just the bass & get a decent synth, then that'd be great. But I think I'll probably need to sell it too. :(

I don't want to go down the Remote keyboard/laptop route as I want the hands on twiddle knobs/push buttons stuff that half of the playing with synths is about.
Quite fancy a Roland Jupiter 50, but it might be a touch out of my price range.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1338908650' post='1680896']
I don't want to go down the Remote keyboard/laptop route as I want the hands on twiddle knobs/push buttons stuff that half of the playing with synths is about.
[/quote]

I can completely relate to that.

I always wanted to be a synthesiser/keyboard player but the gear was so expensive when I started playing that it was impossible.
If I ever had the money I'd love nothing more than a collection of vintage keyboards, each of which has it's own unique feel & idiosyncracies; something that would be completely lost going down the software synth path.

I sometimes think about selling all my basses and buying a Mellotron - probably my favourite instrument of all time.

Wow yeah I'm not going to give up bass but I'm also really gas-ing for a synth. Problem is that I have never really owned or played such a thing except some noodling on bar pianos and cheap casios. However I like the hands-on approach as well and would love to hear some recommendations for a cool synth.

The main synth manufacturers from back in the 80's appear to still be the ones to look at.
Roland, Korg & Yamaha with Dave Smith taking up SCI's position.

Akai, Waldorf & a few others seem to have bailed from the hardware synth market with some just making one or two small things (no big workstations).

[quote name='Schnozzalee' timestamp='1338890466' post='1680485']
I had this same problem, the bands I was in broke up and I was left as a bedroom player. I soon got bored of bass playing/transcribing in my room so I switched to classical & electric guitar and just never got tired of it - if I did join a new band i'd still want to be a bass or rhythm guitar player but for now there's no going back, i'm enjoying my new toys
[/quote]

Same as myself ,at the moment , playing bass by yourself is pretty boring when not in a band situation , but the classical guitar certainly gets a workout when I am " in between bands "
I'll definitely keep the bass gear , as I always live in hope of getting back into a band .
I also find there is a lot of cross over learning , applying ideas from guitar to bass , etc .

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1338908650' post='1680896']
If I can afford to keep just the bass & get a decent synth, then that'd be great. But I think I'll probably need to sell it too. :(

Quite fancy a Roland Jupiter 50, but it might be a touch out of my price range.
[/quote]

Second hand Nord Lead 1 or 2. One control per parameter. Built like a tank. Pretty much all the analogue synth sounds you could want. If I only had one hardware synth this is the one I'd keep. I got the rack version of the Lead 1 to use live as an alternative to lugging my vintage (and very heavy) Roland Jupiter 6 out to gigs. I ended up selling the Jupiter as the Nord did all the same sounds and was far more versatile.