Why become a member? ×

I know there is never a 'best' but...........

bassickman

Need a Jazz bass style bass but with better components, woods, electronics, craftsmanship and sound.

Fender are just too much of a factory build but I love how a jazz bass sounds.

need something that is going to play and sound similar to a J bass but still keeping that original feel.

I've been to Bass Direct and tried Xotic basses which I liked. Clover I have heard good things about too?

Plus I want a 5 not a 4.

Bassheads thoughts?

If you liked the Xotic then BassGear have a lovely burgundy red 5 in the pre-owned section.

There are so many 'super jazz' options out there though that it's difficult to recommend anything. Are you after something fairly true to the original J passive build or do you want a very variable on board active circuit?

Having tried most of the super J's out there I've settled on an Alleva Coppolo RA4. It sounds great passive but you can dial in some sweet bass and treble boost if required. The RA is jimmy's take on an early 70's J. He also makes a '60's, the LG and a late '70's, the LM. The latter is getting great reviews everywhere at the moment :)

• 4 weeks later...

My money would be on an ACG J Type, lovely modern, original take on the classic Jazz in my opinion >>
http://www.notreble.com/buzz/2012/03/11/ac-guitars-introduces-j-type-models/
If you really want a properly trad jazz though, Jon Shuker makes some lovely more traditional ones.

Eude

There are good Fenders and a 4 string Fender can be a fine instrument. Look hard and you can find good ones. I would probably upgrade the pickups, though.

My main gripe with Fender is that they never seemed to get to grips with 5 string basses well enough to challenge other manufacturers.

I own Lakland and Lull basses. Both 5 string and designed around Fender principals to be the Fender that Fender wouldn’t or couldn’t design.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1340802563' post='1709788']
Or, dare I say it, a high-quality bitza or parts build. Which assumes you know how to get to the sound you want.
[/quote]

You could get some really nice Warmoth bits and have someone like, DoctorBass build and finish it for you?...

Hay Bassickman, there are so many to choose from, from your off the shelf type stuff too handmade in stock ones to the totally custom and all with there pros an cons and of course the varying price tags, I recon if you want a good answer that will point you in the right direction then start with your min-max price, sort out whats good and you fancy in that range then post them all up and wait for responses from owners, only my opinion but there a wealth of experience an info in the good people on here but I recon you got to narrow it down a tad.
happy hunting I hope you find your dream bass!! :)
Oh and I make you right, I had a american fender 5 deluxe and it sucked!!! :(

Edited by harleyheath