Why become a member? ×

Who's had a jubilee gig cancelled because of the rain?

Todays is off, was a trailer for a stage in a pub car park type doo. Tomorrows is in a beer garden with no shelter at all so thats already looking shaky!

As a side note who the eternal optimist in your band? everyone appears to have one, for instance todays reply to my text asking if the gig would be moved inside or cancelled because of the rain was that we were under a trailer out of the rain so it would be ok, no concept of there being no punters to play too. I have had similar in every band over the years, I always think if I dont want to play there then why would people want to come out to stand and watch?

We did an outdoor one last night under a gazebo but the rain got really bad so we were moved inside and finished the gig in someone's dining room! We have another tomorrow and, so far, no mention of cancellation (Kent way).

In my last band, it depended on who booked the gig as to was the optimist. If the drummer booked the gig it would go ahead come hell or high water, if someone else booked it he would be happy to cancel if there was a football match on.

It's not a great deal of fun playing to an empty field. At a local village gig last year we waited an hour for the weather to clear before going on. Typically people waited at home until it cleared so people were arriving throughout our set. The evening was cracking for all the other bands though, even if they all had to drop a couple of songs from their sets to fit in.

I once played a gig in a gazebo in a garden where we moved the gazebo to face the house and everyone stood by windows inside the house to watch. Was quite funny playing to the people upstairs.

The big problem is you can't play on grass, you'll get electrocuted. If you've got flooring down it's risky but better.

I have a jubilee rehearsal tonight...does that count.

Just had the text to confirm it is still on, as the 8u99ers left me of the email cancellation for the last one that rather ticked me off :angry:

Time to load up & go I think

We did a National Trust picnic last night with the seven piece at Upton House. Crowd a bit down because of the 'promise' of bad weather but a good time was had by all. We were under a gazebo and elected to play through without our two breaks. Just as well because it started to rain heavily at 9.30 when decided to finish. Today at mid day with a three-piece when the whole village of Great Rollright seemed to be crammed into the village hall. V enjoyable, then we went on the Chipping Norton with the same band to do the Town Festival; weather held off, good crowd and great sound men. This evening out with a five piece to a pub in Berks which should be OK. Tomorrow afternoon, same band on the back of a flat truck at Wantage for their celebrations. Hope weather is OK then, we'll see. But No Cancellations!

I got roped into one last minute in Bolton yesterday. It started to pee down at about 4.00 so we moved
the gear inside and carried on.

Interestingly, the f***ing tributes with their minidiscs had the most problems with their gear. Us poor sods
who actually play real instruments just got on with it. :lol:

Edited by 12stringbassist

We finished in time last night so the rain did not affect us.
Today's gig..in Kent..the weather is overcast and it will not be warm outside but at least it isn't raining.

Tomorrow..we are outside but can move inside..
Most sensible people have invested in plan B.

Did a Jubilee party on a Thames boat last night. Had a good time.
We knew it was gonna rain so just a case of when.
They wanted us to setup on the top deck which was fine for the first 2 sets, then it came down. So quicks change to the lower deck. Luckily a very basic setup so up and running again within 10 minutes.
Just so pleased it was yesterday and not today.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1338737361' post='1678638']
The big problem is you can't play on grass, you'll get electrocuted. If you've got flooring down it's risky but better.
[/quote]

Only if something is faulty in the first place

Edited by Count Bassy

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1338755314' post='1678971']
Extension leads go faulty really quickly when you pour water on them.
[/quote]

At which point the RCD will trip won't it? Don't tell me anyone plays outside without the power going through a suitable RCD?

Just to be different we had a Jubilee gig BECAUSE of the rain. Well , almost. It was a regular gig for us this tea time but it was hammering down outside so they invited the local street party inside where we duly entertained them. Place was rammed.

We were supposed to be playing at a council-run Jubilee/beacon-lighting event today, on an exposed piece of common land, but we pulled out of it a couple of weeks ago, because they would not give us an adequate platform to stand on, or any form of cover whatsoever.
[b][i]Who said that councils are 'health & safety' mad?[/i] [/b]

Anyway, we are now spending today in a recording studio, to knock out a 'demo' CD instead. :)

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1338763521' post='1679099']

At which point the RCD will trip won't it?
[/quote]

Hopefully. They have their limitations. Like most safety devices they reduce the risk, not eliminate it.

They wont trip under all fault conditions.
They are only designed to protect a %age of the population. Certain people like elderly, very young and ill people are still at risk. You don't know how much current for how long will kill YOU until YOU receive the shock.

I'll stick to not mixing electrics and water. I've have some bad experiences. If you want to trust your life to a £10 piece of gear from Homebase - go ahead.

Edited by TimR

Our gig yesterday wasn't canceled, but it probably should have been!

We were under cover, but the crowd were'nt :( Rain got steadily worse through the afternoon - we were last up, by which time it was chucking it down and the only audience left were a handful of locals who were too drunk to walk home...

Didn't stop us going through all of our planned hour long set though :)