Why become a member? ×

Esparanza on Jools

Oldman

I have given her another go. May have been a bit harsh with my 'rubbish' comments but I still don't like her. I just don't like the stye of music, it's always sounded like everyone in the band is playing a different tune, key, time to everyone else.
I fully expect to get some stick for this but i just cant do modern Jazz stuff. Just sounds too cacophonous to my ears.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1337724320' post='1664682']
She's a bass geek goddess.
[/quote][quote name='Fionn' timestamp='1337815835' post='1666067']
What he said. Total fantasy material
[/quote][quote name='Cyrene' timestamp='1337816052' post='1666070']
What they both said.
[/quote]

What those three said.

[quote name='stoker' timestamp='1338026479' post='1668753']
I have given her another go. May have been a bit harsh with my 'rubbish' comments but I still don't like her. I just don't like the stye of music, it's always sounded like everyone in the band is playing a different tune, key, time to everyone else.
I fully expect to get some stick for this but i just cant do modern Jazz stuff. Just sounds too cacophonous to my ears.
[/quote]

I think most people are happy to listen to an opinion,even if it's detrimental but an unqualified statement that something 'is rubbish' is different to saying you don't like it.

I thought Radio Song was great on the JH show.
Great arranging & writing, and well played all round.
She draws from her many backgrounds, Afro American, Hispanic etc..
Some Brazilian/Latin [ Ivan Lins ] influence in that tune, with the changes & Rhythms.
She writes and plays how she hears all those different styles and influences.
If it's not your thing, that's cool - but rubbish ?

Garry

Very attractive lady with a great figure, plays bass like most of us could only dream, gives us some jazzy vibes from a band of amazing musicians she leads and writes for, plays some great solos on the upright and sings like an angel at the same time as playing complex syncopation on a Jazz bass.

What's not to like?

Actually, I take the points about the lack of hooks and how wearing listening to a decent amount can be. Not there yet though, still playing on Spotify as I sit working at my laptop in the garden.

No matter what you think of her music - Esperanza has at least got you thinking and talking - about music. Her original idea with Radio Music Society was to bring some elements of jazz - ie improv, unusual song forms and extended harmonies - and I know that she succeeded in some ways and missed the mark in others - but either way the point I think is that she makes a damn fine case for broadening the possibilities of mainstream music today - and that inevitably risks something beyond being predictable. But hey, no worries if ain't your bag - I'm hoping the next album will be better - still love her version of Endangered Species though

In my very humble opinion she was fab - u - lous darling! I'm not a very good player - by any stretch of the imagination, but understand that stuff aint easy to do at all, let alone to do 'that' well.

I'm sure that regardless of your favourite genre of music, you would have to sit back & appreciate the Lady has talent in abundance & nailed both the vocal & the Bass part? And don't get me started on how good Her band were??

As the man said - 'it ain't what you put in, it's what you leave out'!!

[quote name='urb' timestamp='1338049668' post='1669038']
...she makes a damn fine case for broadening the possibilities of mainstream music today - and that inevitably risks something beyond being predictable...
[/quote]

This. Ground-breaking music is inevitably slated before it becomes wildly popular...

Edited by discreet

[quote name='born to be loud' timestamp='1337890696' post='1667124']
The mixing is often poor on the live show and better on the Friday.
[/quote]

Totally agree. Someone told me the Friday show is recorded before the Tuesday show goes out live, so I think the performances can be a bit fresher. Also sounds like there's a bit of tweaking going on in production too - I couldn't hear much of her bass on Tuesday, but Friday's performance was much clearer.

B.

I really liked it, I've heard all sorts of bands in the past that hav snippets of what makes up her style but haven't heard them.stacked in that order before! Really liked it! V tasteful playing too!!

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Funny how things have moved on - Definitely our ear's for tuners,[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]and the headstock to accommodate Benson & Hedges [Gold][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]If you rolled your own you were in trouble - unless it was of the Reggae variety.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Garry [/font][/color]

Saw the Tues night and thought it was a very relaxing track. She seemed quite comfortable with what she was doing and i personally thought it suited her well.
I had never heard of her before so I'm no expert in her other material.
I just liked her style of both singing and playing.

Dave