Why become a member? ×

Esparanza on Jools

Oldman

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1337758412' post='1664868']
Bilbo will be pleased she put a long frock on. Band was good, did they all come over with her? I recognised her regular piano player.
[/quote]

Yes - they are here for her only UK show in London next week:

http://www.timeout.com/london/music/event/255218/esperanza-spalding

She's back in November for the London Jazz Fest - so if you miss this one (I will) then she's at the Royal Festival hall on 15 Nov

[quote name='stoker' timestamp='1337769395' post='1665069']
[b]I thought she was rubbish IMHO. Nice bass but she just seemed to be making noises on it as opposed to playing[/b] and never like like that paticular style of music anyway.
[/quote]
Really? Are you being serious?

I love her new album and think it grooves hard but found it a bit more difficult to listen to on the TV because some of the arrangements felt a bit rushed. 'Radio Song' was a fair bit faster than the album version which ruined it's feel, for me.

She's pretty cool though. Drummer is very cool too.

[quote name='Hutton' timestamp='1337845610' post='1666181']
I was massively impressed and am looking forward to Friday's show.
[/quote]

You know what, I am too! The number she did on Tuesday was a brilliant bit of composition, and it seemed truly from the heart. I could really FEEL her personality in the music and her performance. I so rarely get that with music of that genre, with all the excesses and pressures of virtuosity and peer pressure which usually results in a confused and unworthy mess that represents nothing of value.

I think I'm an Esperanza convert, she gave me the unexpected, I really enjoyed it and I want to hear and see that performance again.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1337849488' post='1666235']
You know what, I am too! The number she did on Tuesday was a brilliant bit of composition, and it seemed truly from the heart. I could really FEEL her personality in the music and her performance. I so rarely get that with music of that genre, with all the excesses and pressures of virtuosity and peer pressure which usually results in a confused and unworthy mess that represents nothing of value.

I think I'm an Esperanza convert, she gave me the unexpected, I really enjoyed it and I want to hear and see that performance again.
[/quote]

Very well put Nigel. I've been listening to her stuff on Spotify and am finding it extremely pleasing.

Saw her on Jools & knew the name but not familiar with at all. To me her bass playing came across as 'doing the bare minimum to qualify'. Probably not a good introduction to her judging by her reputation, hope her performance on Friday show will be better.

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1337850203' post='1666253']
Saw her on Jools & knew the name but not familiar with at all. To me her bass playing came across as 'doing the bare minimum to qualify'. Probably not a good introduction to her judging by her reputation, hope her performance on Friday show will be better.
[/quote]
For a Duck Dunn fan KiOgon, I thought you would understand more than most the benefits to playing only what is required and nothing more!

I thought she was amazing - sure there are technically better bass players out there (and singers) but the expressiveness of both was really engaging for me. I'm sure all the jazz nazis will be out in force to tell me that this is watered down pap, but you know what I liked it, and so did the missus, which is a rarity in the extreme!!

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1337853814' post='1666315']
Yeah - watched it again on youtube - enjoyed it more 2nd time, but still room for a lot more bass IMO :)
[/quote]

With respect, this is the sort of attitude BC is full of, and it's one I can't stand. You seem to be infatuated with the instrument instead of the music. From what I saw, she is a composer, bass is her channel, not the object. She's a MUSICIAN, not a MECHANIC. She plays THROUGH the instrument, not ON it.

The Olympics is coming soon, perhaps you may find more enjoyment in that? :)

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1337858671' post='1666436']
With respect, this is the sort of attitude BC is full of, and it's one I can't stand. [/quote]

Come on Nige, you're coming across as a bit 'judge, jury and executioner' of late!! 'This country' etc... there's room for everyone's opinion and nothing is more subjective than music.