Why become a member? ×

No one to practice with...update

seashell

[quote name='scalpy' timestamp='1337618113' post='1662893']
Do this! I didn't meet any musicians I wanted to play with but I'm engaged now to the first person I spoke to!
[/quote]

You haven't made it clear whether it was love at first sight or a dare... :lol:

[attachment=108432:images.jpg]

Shell, here's the hugs to start with.

I can guarantee that you will be a lot better bass player than you think you are. Be good to maybe sit down and give yourself something to aim for to get playing.

Like within a month I'm gonna play at a open mike night, within three months I'm gonna place an ad for bass player available etc.

We play in Derbyshire mostly, about an hour away from you I guess. you're welcome to come and dep for me on a couple of tunes at one of our gigs. Nice easy stuff AC/DC or Dakota for example.

No good advice from me, but just a big hug and wishes for a good outcome.

I may have missed some of the English in your OP, but have you pondered the question whether you want out of it at any rate, or would consider continuing if Dik says he wants to continue?
That situation could easily come up, and I'd guess it would be something one had to have thought about beforehand, and not be taken aback by, as an emotional response easily could clutter everything up.

Best of luck!
bert

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1337585814' post='1662190']
I don't think I'm really ready to join a proper band yet. I've been having a look at various ads on joinmyband. I'm too old for most and too inexperienced for many. I don't think I'm ready to start my own band yet either.
[/quote]

You're never ready to join your first band - [i]or so you think... [/i]:)

Relax. Deep breaths. Take the plunge. It will probably surprise, as it must have done hundreds of members of this forum :)

[quote name='Johngh' timestamp='1337627087' post='1663123']
Like within a month I'm gonna play at a open mike night, within three months I'm gonna place an ad for bass player available etc.

We play in Derbyshire mostly, about an hour away from you I guess. you're welcome to come and dep for me on a couple of tunes at one of our gigs. Nice easy stuff AC/DC or Dakota for example.
[/quote]

Great opportunity, definitely take John up on this.

Listen Mush, there'll be none of that hugging stuff from me, harumph.
If you can play along to any full Maiden track, YOU ARE READY :D .

Get out there now Milady, a band needs you.
Karl.

Edited by karlfer

Hadn't seen this thread at all before now. Grr.

All the best Shell, I agree with the general consensus, move on, either join a band if you feel comfortable with that, or place an ad, find other musicians in a similiar situation and then you, as a group, may decide to become a band to all intents and purposes in the future.

You'll be absolutely fine!

Again, many many thanks for all the hugs, virtual beers, and encouragement! :-)

@ johngh ... many thanks for that suggestion, that is so nice of you and I do appreciate it. I [b]really[/b] don't think I'm ready for depping to AC/DC yet though. But it would be great to come along and watch some time. Do let me know when something is coming up.

@icastle.. likewise, it would be great to come along to one of the nights you run. Please let me know if anything comes up.

@ basstractor .... good point! I hadn't really thought about what to do if Dik wants to continue as I just assume he won't! TBH I don't think he will really have time, because he already plays drums in another band and the new woman lives about 30 miles away, so I think most of his spare time will be taken up with all of that now. But if he does suggest it, I think I will need to politely decline.

@ karlfer.. sadly I can't actually play along to any full IM track yet. Just learning a few bits and trying to get them up to speed. But it's all good fun, and refreshes the spirit!

@ everyone ... huge thanks once again. Everything is looking better already now the sun is shining!

hugs back (( ))

shell
x

Well, hugs first :)

The open mic night sounds like a great idea. But I reckon there are loads of musicians (of vastly varying ability) who would just like some other people to jam with. I looked on joinmyband for ages and always bottled it due to being completely underconfident about my ability to play well enough. I struck lucky though and heard a drummer and guitarist practicing at a pub 5 mins from my house and asked them if they needed a bassist (which they did). Learnt a few songs and it turned out that our 4th practice together (all three of us, me and the bassist had practiced together a couple of times in between) was a 20 min slot at the Mayfair Festival in Nailsea. Sounds a bit more impressive than it was, it's just a funfair in a small town but still, we pulled it off!

So yeah, you could always pop an ad on gumtree/joinmyband or speak with your bass tutor (I think I read that you had a tutor in the thread) or even here on BC... you know there's a good bunch of people on here. :)

• 3 weeks later...

OK a little update. I've got together a couple of times with a friend of mine who is learning guitar. She runs a small studio theatre in Brum, so we have been able to have a couple of practice sessions at the theatre during the day. We put it through the theatre PA and we were thrilled to hear ourselves that loud! A new experience for both of us.

She's a bit hesitant as she's even more of a beginner than me, but she has a beautiful voice. I reckon if we practised 3 songs really hard we could get them good enough to go to an open mic without embarassing ourselves. People might even enjoy it!

I'm going to suggest that to her when we meet up again this Sat.

Meanwhile, I'd still love to have a a go playing with a drummer. So I'm keeping my ears open for opportunities and may consider advertising after I've built up a bit more experience.

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1339519261' post='1689815']
OK a little update. I've got together a couple of times with a friend of mine who is learning guitar. She runs a small studio theatre in Brum, so we have been able to have a couple of practice sessions at the theatre during the day. We put it through the theatre PA and we were thrilled to hear ourselves that loud! A new experience for both of us.

She's a bit hesitant as she's even more of a beginner than me, but she has a beautiful voice. I reckon if we practised 3 songs really hard we could get them good enough to go to an open mic without embarassing ourselves. People might even enjoy it!

I'm going to suggest that to her when we meet up again this Sat.

Meanwhile, I'd still love to have a a go playing with a drummer. So I'm keeping my ears open for opportunities and may consider advertising after I've built up a bit more experience.
[/quote]

Good on you girl..go for it!!

As far as jam nights are concerned the best advice I can give you (having played in the house band of a few) is to go along and watch, get the general vibe then find an approachable participant and tell them that you really fancy a go but are a bit nervous (butter them up a bit about their own performance first). If you're game then someone will loan you a bass and away you go. Nobody will force you to get up and play but as you get to know people and what level they are at musically you'll find the thought of getting up and playing with them a lot less scary.

I recommend you play along to some rock 'n' roll (chuck berry etc) and blues (bb king etc ) at home because these are usually the easiest to jam to.

Good luck and I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun and maybe find another musical collaborator.

Thanks gj .. that's good advice.

I recently went to an open mic just to watch and meet the guy who runs it. It seemed quite civilised and friendly. It was quite small and there were several duos up so I think me and my friend might fit in OK. I think he'd let us do a slot if we asked him. (We have a few mutual aquaintances so I think he'd trust me not to be total rubbish)

As for just turning up and jamming with other people.. I'd love to do that but it sounds very scary. I have been practising some blues and rock n roll at home though. I'll have to keep at it.

FWIW just go for it Seashell, I don't need to repeat all the good advice in previous posts, but I do wish you well with it. BTW commiserations about the dodgy personal stuff. Scrape it off your shoe, 'cos if you can keep rhythm there's bound to be people who will want you to play bass for them, even if for now you keep it simple. Just go for it. :)