Why become a member? ×

Taken the plunge!

stoker

After much debate and so forth I have decided to save up for a Rickenbacker 4003.
I've always wanted one ever since I had a go on a mates and he had to threaten to break my fingers before I'd give it back.
It's gonna be a long save but so worth it I think.

It's good to have something to look forward to , love rics look and sound but like so many other bass 's I have never played one , must take a trip up to one of the well known dedicated bass shops ootd

Lovely looking basses, there was a guy who had a blue one at the first ever gig I played. I was young (only 11 or something) and he saw me staring at it in awe and he was nice enough to pick it out of its hardcase and hand it to me saying "would you like a go?". Lovely memory. Awesome basses, would love to own one in the future :) . Post pics!

I'm a fellow 2 Ric man.

Once you go Ric, it's really hard to play anything else. Everything just feels boring and 'wrong' to me.

In my experience, most people who knock Rics -

1) Have never played one
2) Always wanted one but haven't got one
3) One of the above

Let the Ric-knocking commence! :D

Edited by spongebob

Love the look of Riks. Bought one once but personally found it a little limited tone wise.
Nice neck and great playability.

I reckon nowadays though with modern amp technology you should be able to get more variation from them.

Mmmm do i feel some added GAS coming on. I'm starting to get a notion for a Fireglow one ala Glenn Hughes sound - nice. :rolleyes:

All the very best with it and as Bluejay said - photos please.

Cheers
Dave

I've always wanted another after stupidly selling my excellent 4001 many years ago. However, what with recent events I am seriously in two minds now. I might well wait until the prices drop to a level that suits the build quality ... or hell freezes over.

I bought a 4003 a few years back, after lusting after one for over 20 years... definitely a keeper (but it could be a tad lighter! ;) ).

One regret I have about gear, is passing up a chequer-bound Jetglo 4001 with a lot of playing wear in the late 80's when the shops could barely give them away. Ah well...

It's a great time to buy one - I gave up trying to sell my mapleglo 4003 fretless (huge 13 amp'er there!!!) as people looked at it like there was a rattlesnake living under the pickup cover.

I'm keeping both mine until prices recover, hell freezes over, or Mr Hall sells Tokai's - whichever comes first ;)

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='stoker' timestamp='1337460452' post='1660527']
Well the fund is now into 3 figures. Early days and on a checkout monkeys wage to!
[/quote]

Good stuff. Don't settle for any less than what you want. Get anything less and you'll regret it a year later.

I also want to nominate ashevans09 for the best forum signature of all time! :lol:

I'm now 13 days away from trying one. I totally have my heart set on a Rick but if it turns out not to be the one for me then I won't be upset about it. I had one a few years back but I wasn't ready for one if that makes sense.

I'm like a kid waiting to go to the candy store :gas:

Edited by Delberthot

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...