Why become a member? ×

Alabama Shakes

Chris Horton

Yep... saw 'em, loved 'em!

Great band and a refreshingly honest vibe about them.

The singer herself is fantastic... superb voice and very quirky; like a cross between "Macy Gray and Matt Lucas", visually-speaking:

[attachment=106022:6776672268_dccf4e6de1_n.jpg]

Didn't see the Jools performance but heard this band for the first time at the weekend on Sound Opinions, a great radio show from Chicago. Check it out - there's a great interview with the band and several amazing live in session performances. The thing that blew me away, aside from the songs, groove and voice - was that these songs were being performed live, in the middle of the afternoon and that the quality of the sounds (big praise for the studio engineers) and playing were master take record-worthy. It was just damn encouraging to hear true quality in this day and age.

Here's the link: [media]http://audio.soundopinions.org/podcasts/sooppodshow333.mp3[/media]

And here's the podcast link: [url="http://www.soundopinions.org/podcast.html"]http://www.soundopin...rg/podcast.html[/url]

Edited by Gareth Hughes

If you search hard [on Youtube], you'll turn up some footage of them live in a record store about seven or eight months back, playing to a couple of people and a small girl, while shoppers were browsing the racks. Now they've got a number one album.

I bought it the album and it's a good collection of tunes...even though my usual fair is a darn site heavier, I'd happily recommend the CD to anyone.
P

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1335420576' post='1630674']
The only band I've seen on Jools for a long time that has made me sit up, take notice and actually get off my backside to see where they are playing near Newcastle... Nowhere! LOL
[/quote]

I most definitely agree with you on that, apart from seeing if they're playing near Newcastle...as I live in the south west it'd be a bit of a trek :)

Thought they were brilliant in every way.

[quote name='DrBike' timestamp='1335353865' post='1629663']
...I wasn't sure if he was coming or just really getting into the groove...
[/quote]

I'm never sure about that, either... :unsure:
Another vote for AS here, they're great. Retro yet fresh, great performances, lots of energy and emotion - and that voice!

Nah, can't agree. The voice was Ok until the artificial soul-scream, which if nothing else helped to put over the song as different.

Oooh, that grimacing bass player! Concentrating hard on the 3 notes he played, or was it 4.

One man's meat I suppose.

Balcro.

[quote name='Balcro' timestamp='1335432567' post='1630863']

Oooh, that grimacing bass player! Concentrating hard on the 3 notes he played, or was it 4.

Balcro.
[/quote]

Hadn't appreciated there was a minimum note quota, that's my career over with then.

Personally I thought what the bass player played was pretty perfect, he appeared to be enjoying the overall groove too.

But as you said, "one mans meat, etc."