Why become a member? ×

Pedal tuner recommendations please

fretmeister

[quote name='EskimoBassist' timestamp='1334877439' post='1622979']
My TU-2 has been tough as nails for years, but it has rather fallen out of favour on the forum.
[/quote]

The TU-2 is dead.. long live the TU-3! ;) Seriously, though, the TU-3 is a very nice bit of kit - much quicker to 'lock on' to the note you're playing than the TU-2 was, and accurate enough (in stream mode, at least) to do your intonation, as checked against a Peterson.

Definitely the TC Electronic Polytune. I've just run outside to do a test for you in the mid-day African sunlight on a beatifuly bright, clear day in Cape Town and it works well enough. And it's true bypass.

I have not heard anything bad about the reliability either.

For my money, the TU-3 is the only other choice.

[quote name='q_of_doom' timestamp='1334922062' post='1623467']
Definitely the TC Electronic Polytune. I've just run outside to do a test for you in the mid-day African sunlight on a beatifuly bright, clear day in Cape Town and it works well enough. And it's true bypass.

I have not heard anything bad about the reliability either.

For my money, the TU-3 is the only other choice.
[/quote]

Now THAT is a proper sun light test!!

Thank you indeed.

Polytune it is then!

[quote name='pendingrequests' timestamp='1335272073' post='1628365']
Had my TU-2 for nearly 5 years and has never failed. Has had little episodes of been stuck tuning 'G'.
[/quote]

I've had quite a few tuners do that in my experience, generally when it's turned on (for me as a mute) and there isn't a bass plugged into the cable going into it.

[quote name='EskimoBassist' timestamp='1335274720' post='1628419']
I've had quite a few tuners do that in my experience, generally when it's turned on (for me as a mute) and there isn't a bass plugged into the cable going into it.
[/quote]

Yep, likewise

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1335274903' post='1628426']
Somewhere around "G" is the frequency of mains hum.
[/quote]

Ahhhhh I see. That's handy info thanks :)

My vote goes to the Sonic Research ST-200.

True bypass, extremely accurate and bright enough to use outside.

I hated my Boss TU2; -/+ 3 cents accuracy is too inaccurate for me, I'd have to fine tune my bass by ear afterwards as it wouldn't quite get me in tune.

Picked up a mini Polytune yesterday and it's fantastic!! The size is amazing, the tracking is so much quicker than my previous DT10 and it looks as cool as you can get. At £65 i think its by far the best tuner out there at the moment for price.

I don't believe Peterson tuners are worth the hefty price tag, a mixture of a standard tuner and your ear are equally as good IMO.

Of course if you make a living setting up basses and need the maximum accuracy for intonation or record in the studio every day i'd go for the polytune.

[quote name='JakeBrownBass' timestamp='1335337768' post='1629339']
Picked up a mini Polytune yesterday and it's fantastic!! The size is amazing, the tracking is so much quicker than my previous DT10 and it looks as cool as you can get. At £65 i think its by far the best tuner out there at the moment for price.

I don't believe Peterson tuners are worth the hefty price tag, a mixture of a standard tuner and your ear are equally as good IMO.

Of course if you make a living setting up basses and need the maximum accuracy for intonation or record in the studio every day i'd go for the polytune.
[/quote]Yep , love mine . Probably the best £65 I've ever spent - how sad am I ?

I was running out of real estate on my Pedaltrain Jr... so I bought a new mini polytune to place instead of my regular poly tune.
Firstly I love the polytune! Both are great...
Here's the skinny...

Regular
Pros: It's got an onboard batt compartment. So it's able to to be used without outboard power,
Cons... Size. Its a regular sized pedal and takes up a full slot on the board.

Mini:
Pros: Simple! Its size wins. I just couldn't fit everything on the board until I got the mini.
Cons. The main difference is the obvious lack of a battery, but theres another thing. It doesn't have a power *out* socket for daisy chaining another pedal.
I was using my out on the regulat polytune to power the LEDs on my (otherwise passive) Keeley loop bypass pedal. A minor inconvenience but I thought it worth a mention.