Why become a member? ×

When do you become band ready?

Dandelion

At what point in one`s progression in learning the bass does one become proficient enough to play in a band?

I have played in a couple of bands many years ago, but we were all new to the game so we made mistakes together.

But the thought of now joining an established band causes a modicum of anxiety. How proficient does one have to be?

I am thinking about a joining pub rock affair in the future, if I can find a local one, but I don`t want to waste their time

and/or make a total tit of myself.

How good are you expected to be on a first audition?

Is personallity more important than abillity?

If somebody sent me a recording to learn prior to the rehersal, then I could do that, but not sure if I could step up to the

mark if I was just dropped in "Sink or Swim" style.

Any thoughts?

If I was in that position, I'd be going out to see a few such bands, making a note of their set, coming home and assembling it on CD / iTunes etc. then asking myself if I could play along to it solidly with no unrecoverable screw-ups. If so, I would probably class myself as ready. It's a rough yard-stick, but accurate enough!

Edit: As an afterthought, doing so would also mean learning / knowing a lot of pub rock standards, hence making you much more able to jump in and swim, as opposed to sink :)

Edited by Ed_S

As Ed S has said, see what various bands are doing, and assemble their songs on a playlist. If you can easily play along to 20 or 30 songs of varied genres, on a cd, then you should be able to do so in a band. The fact that all of your previous gathering were inexperienced has made it seem a lot more difficult than it actually is.

At an audition, unless a "widdler/funk-machine-slap-merchant" has been specified, locking in with the drums, keeping good time, and not getting in the way of the other instruments is the best way, in my opinion. Plus, showing willingness to adapt to the bands style, and being early/on time.

[quote name='Ed_S' timestamp='1334772267' post='1621071']
If I was in that position, I'd be going out to see a few such bands, making a note of their set, coming home and assembling it on CD / iTunes etc. then asking myself if I could play along to it solidly with no unrecoverable screw-ups. If so, I would probably class myself as ready. It's a rough yard-stick, but accurate enough!
[/quote]

This says it all. I would add that personality is certainly very important, but not more so than ability. You need both! :D

Edited by discreet

I just think that more than half of the battle is that you think you can do it.

If you see other epople doing it and think you can do as well..then dive in..
You'll learn more from messing up than otherwise anyway... but then that is the good thing about the arrogance of youth.

If you've got a decent sense of timing & able to play for an hour or two at home along to your fave rock compilation, then your own confidence is the only thing that could hold you back (or not having the gear :P ).

The majority of the pub ain't gonna notice the odd mistake (that includes the rest of the band too) unless you do something bad.

Whilst I agree with the comments about preparation and practise, I think in the end you should make a jump and go for it.
For me, I know that if I waited until I felt 'really ready' for things I wouldn't have ever done much.
After all, what's the worst that can happen?

If you see an opportunity, take it.

Got to agree with all of the above.

Sometimes though you have to steel yourself and just jump in at the deep end. It's easy to fall in to the trap of thinking you are not good enough, every other player is better etc. and to just keep on practicing on your own.
One of the problems then is, unless your practicing is very structured, you will tend to play what you already know over and over.

If you know your way around the instrument and you want to play in a band, go for it.

Good luck with it :)

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1334774576' post='1621139']
...It's easy to fall in to the trap of thinking you are not good enough and to just keep on practicing on your own...
[/quote]

This is very true. It's one thing to play along to a recording and quite another to play in a live band. The biggest difference being that if you're in a covers band (for example), the rest of the band won't have learnt the material properly. :happy:

Edited by discreet

You're ready for a band when you meet the expectations of that band.

That could mean you've never played a note before, or conversely it could mean you'll never reach the level expected of you.

Talking to them about what's expected and the kind of level you're at is usually a good starting place. Just remember that getting the gig is not just about your playing ability.

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1334779593' post='1621270']
Maybe just for the craic to get up to speed playing with other folk...
[/quote]

This is also true... nothing improves your playing like being in a band. If you're the least able, you'll play up to everyone else's level and improve much more quickly than you would by playing against recordings.

Edited by discreet

I joined a band before I could play, it was my Dads covers band and he showed me a few notes and I sort of picked it up pretty quickly. I think I have got a little better since then. Now I play in two quite different covers bands one I am starting from scratch with new members and numbers, but the other band were already gigging so I wasn't too sure when I tried out with them, turned out alright I sort of knew the numbers they sent me and the ability to busk a little worked well as they played totally different arrangements.

Really depends on the band. If you're doing a covers band then you'll know if you can play the material by listening to the records and giving them a go. If you're playing originals then there's a lot more variables. Typical rock/punk bands don't really tax the bass player too much, whereas jazz requires you to be a bit of a mega-musician.

In an originals band you might find the band's songwriter wants something specific from the bass player and might even guide you as to what to play, so that would make your job easier, but potentially less fulfilling. On the other hand the band might require more input from you, so you would need to be very creative. To be honest I've found that creativity is usually way more important than technical ability for a bass guitarist, so your time would probably be better spent learning more about music than learning how to play difficult music on the bass. Difficult bass parts are rarely called for, but the more theory you've got the less trial-and-error will be involved in coming up with an interesting and hook-laden bass part.

Hope this helps. Also bear in mind that the best experience for playing bass in a band is playing bass in a band, so if you're in any doubt just give it a try and answer some ads, see where it gets you. Enjoy. :)

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1334784350' post='1621369']The thing that made me really go for it and decide to take an opportunity when it arose, was the honest feedback of people whose musical (as musicians) opinions I trusted.[/quote]

Whereas I never believe anyone who pays me a compliment, but maybe that's just me. It makes me feel good for five minutes and then I think they were only talking about a subset of my playing and if they knew that there isn't much more to my playing they might change their minds. :D

What's already been said with just one small caveat: if you really aren't band-ready and you persist in auditioning around, you might get a reputation which could precede you when you really are ready. But if you can keep time and not play any bum notes when you're playing along to your playlist, you're ready!

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1334784519' post='1621376']
Whereas I never believe anyone who pays me a compliment, but maybe that's just me. It makes me feel good for five minutes and then I think they were only talking about a subset of my playing and if they knew that there isn't much more to my playing they might change their minds. :D
[/quote]
Yeah, I'm normally like that, but I was lucky enough to already be working in a Guitar shop staffed with brutally honest and very talented musicians. And I was only 14.

EDIT: There is an irony to this. The first proper band I joined, when I was 14, everyone else was 18 and 19, and for the next few years I was quite sought-after and never without a band. But then family things got in the way, I skipped town and have never been able to get into a music scene since. I've been living in Wales now for 4 years and don't know a single musician and I don't have the confidence to go looking for any.

Edited by KingBollock

[quote name='musophilr' timestamp='1334784724' post='1621381']What's already been said with just one small caveat: if you really aren't band-ready and you persist in auditioning around, you might get a reputation which could precede you when you really are ready. But if you can keep time and not play any bum notes when you're playing along to your playlist, you're ready![/quote]

TBH I think if there's nothing fundamentally wrong with his playing (he can keep time and understands how the bass is the link between the drums and the vocal [most guitarists don't know this, so don't worry about it too much!]) and - most importantly - he's flexible about rehearsal times, reliable when they're booked and fun to hang out with, then he won't get a bad reputation.

Ed S's post is a good measure.

I only started playing a couple of years ago. Since then I've been in a covers band, one scratch covers band that did a small support slot after a couple of rehearsals, depped for an originals band, did a song at an open mic night last week that I've never heard before (ballsed it right up but no one noticed :)), am now in an originals band and been asked to join 3 covers bands recently.

When I started auditioning I didn't know any classic covers - I still don't know how to play All Right Now, Mustang Sally or any of the usual suspects. All that and I'm sh*t. Sometimes you just have to put yourself out there.

As long as you are reasonably competent you are ready to join a band. I`ve been getting away with it for years B)

If you are going to audition for a covers band, get the set list well before hand and practice it. Usually an audition is 6 songs or something like that. Be confident, be pleasant, know the material and more importantly, enjoy yourself. Don`t worry about making mistakes, we all do it.

And Marvin, I don`t know how to play All right now either!! Never benn asked to play it in any band. Thought I was the only one.

Jez

Edited by jezzaboy