Why become a member? ×

When do you become band ready?

Dandelion

All the above, plus think about getting a couple of mates together to play a party or charity one-off. You get to learn a smallish managable number of tunes, and you get to play in public without too much in the way of audience or band expectations. If you have fun, you'll do it again.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1334795132' post='1621554']
You have to be nice [i]and [/i]be willing to play Mustang Sally!
I'm neither, btw. :P
[/quote]

I'm not nice enough to agree to play Mustang Sally :D
[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1334825665' post='1621766']
I've seen a lot of bands round here over the years where I reckon none of them were gig-ready. They were still playing though, and the punters seemed to enjoy it enough.
Don't worry about it, go and have a go, if you can play root notes along with them (no 3rds, it makes people upset) you'll be fine.
[b]There are some god-awful bassists round here getting plenty of regular gigs.[/b]
:)
[/quote]

So you were at my last gig :D.

I've just found 3rds, it's when you play a 7th you get a strange look :P

[quote name='Dandelion' timestamp='1334771612' post='1621051']
At what point in one`s progression in learning the bass does one become proficient enough to play in a band?

I have played in a couple of bands many years ago, but we were all new to the game so we made mistakes together.

But the thought of now joining an established band causes a modicum of anxiety. How proficient does one have to be?

I am thinking about a joining pub rock affair in the future, if I can find a local one, but I don`t want to waste their time

and/or make a total tit of myself.

How good are you expected to be on a first audition?

Is personallity more important than abillity?

If somebody sent me a recording to learn prior to the rehersal, then I could do that, but not sure if I could step up to the

mark if I was just dropped in "Sink or Swim" style.

Any thoughts?
[/quote]

Jam nights? Try those and see how you feel. If you are comfortable in that situation you are probably ready to do some auditions. Only you really know how ready you are but the fact that you are considering it is a positive step.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1334833606' post='1621986']

Tricky. I'm not ageist (just old) but I would say generally one learns things more quickly when young, no? Not that age should exclude anyone from doing anything of course, he added quickly. With the possible exception of base jumping. :happy:
[/quote]

True you learn quicker when young. But thats not to say you cant make progress when old. I have learned sh*t loads in the last year and a bit. And in some ways its all the more satisfying cos I never thought Id learn anything new at my age.

Edited by seashell

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1334877047' post='1622964']
True you learn quicker when young. But thats not to say you cant make progress when old. I have learned sh*t loads in the last year and a bit. And in some ways its all the more satisfying cos I never thought Id learn anything new at my age.
[/quote]

At your age? You can only be but a young strip of a lass. If not, you're certainly ageing very well! :D

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1334877605' post='1622984']

At your age? You can only be but a young strip of a lass. If not, you're certainly ageing very well! :D
[/quote]

Oh you flatter me, sir. Cheers for saying so though. :-) Although Im not admitting to my true age you can probably get a few clues from my taste in music!

But back on topic...I have come to the conclusion that if i wait till i think im ready to join a band then I never will. So I'm going to try to take the plunge this year. I fear this is where the age thing might become a bit of a problem. Whos going to want a middle aged novice?

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1334878569' post='1623015']
Although Im not admitting to my true age you can probably get a few clues from my taste in music!
[/quote]

That means nothing. Young master discreet (9) is currently in love with Led Zeppelin.

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1334878569' post='1623015']Who's going to want a middle-aged novice?[/quote]

The Catholic church. Ha, ha. ;)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1334878764' post='1623018']

That means nothing. Young master discreet (9) is currently in love with Led Zeppelin.

[/quote]

Ah yes but there was the Monkees cluette as well.
Well done to the young master for getting into Zep BTW!

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1334878569' post='1623015']
But back on topic...I have come to the conclusion that if i wait till i think im ready to join a band then I never will. So I'm going to try to take the plunge this year. I fear this is where the age thing might become a bit of a problem. Whos going to want a middle aged novice?
[/quote]

Well, I'm not a novice, and at 48 I'm getting close to leaving my teens, but I've turned down 4 invitations to play in bands pretty recently - all younger than me.

Not sure what things are like in the West Midlands, but over here in the East Midlands I'm always hearing 'I'd love to play in a band but I'm too old' - there's loads of people in the same boat, you just need to be in the same port as them... :)