Why become a member? ×

Later Live with Jools - on again

KiOgon

Holy crap, what a dirty great stinking pile of donkey poo that was!

The Maccabees and Weller were okay, buy not mindblowing, and most of the rest was utter rubbish. The Brazilian lot could have been quite good but the singer wasn't very convincing. Willis Earl Beal was just awful! You can tell that he could be a good singer, if he could sing at more than one pitch, but the monotony of his voice combined with a backing track which reminded me of when I got my first 4-track at the age of 15...... Shocking!

I managed to watch Weller and crew but have to confess that despite giving everyone else a chance, I ended up hitting mute and doing something else till the next band came on!

My personal gripe is the sound. OK you could argue that what you are hearing is a 'real' ambient sound of the studio live (or at least I hope that is the excuse) but FFS in this day and age there should be no excuse for not getting quality audio broadcasts.

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1334698673' post='1620088']
Weller weren't bad, but the rest? Must be getting old :(
[/quote]

Wasn't bad, but wasn't particularly good either in my opinion.

After watching that show I've come to the conclusion I now know nothing about the modern music scene and should probably give up, maybe do something more useful with my spare time. :(

Hopefully there will be some better acts in future shows.

Edited by Fat Rich

Watched Weller and was underwhelmed, saw the beginning of the odd next band and turned back over to the poor teen movie on Film4. Reckon I made the right choice as at least the music in 10 Things I Hate About You was good (Letters To Cleo). Can't say I'm surprised about Later, when has the BBC ever changed the format of something merely because it's poor and unpopular?

I've heard Beth Houghton and The Hooves Of Destiny on the radio a tonne of times and really enjoyed the songs.. but I was super disappointed with the live sound & performance. It was just nowhere near as good. Truly disappointed! Plus, I found there was such an air of "trying to be so different" in their performance that they ended up just looking a bit silly really. That's just my taste of course...

[quote name='nicklathambass' timestamp='1334753507' post='1620677']
I've heard Beth Houghton and The Hooves Of Destiny on the radio a tonne of times and really enjoyed the songs.. but I was super disappointed with the live sound & performance. It was just nowhere near as good. Truly disappointed! Plus, I found there was such an air of "trying to be so different" in their performance that they ended up just looking a bit silly really. That's just my taste of course...
[/quote]

I agree - especially the girl in the animal mask who had no musical input as far as I could see