Why become a member? ×

Best little loud amp?

littlegreenman

Hello :)

Pretty much a total Bass n00b, so come for some advice.

I'm looking for a decent smallish, but loudish bass amp. Budget of around £500-600.

Promethean is the obvious contender, but what are my other options? Happy to go s/h for something nice. Seen one or two Markbass and EBS combo's around that price s/h and I'm drawn that way but not sure of reliability issues with bass amps (yep, I'm mainly a thin stringer).

Any advice would be most helpful, Ta :)

If I were you, I'd split my money about £250-350 for a s/h mini head / £250 for a new or s/h 12" 8ohm cab. I have my mini-rig sat right next to me now consisting of a Markbass Little Mark II and an Eden EX112 which you could easily pick up for the sort of money you want to spend and is very compact, yet plenty capable for anything from home practise to small pub gigs. Buy or borrow another cab and that'll take you to bigger-gig level. Added advantage over a combo (possible exception being combos that you can take the 'head' out of) being that you could just take your mini head if you know there's going to be a cab to borrow where you're going. If you managed to score really lucky, you might be able to make your initial cab a s/h Barefaced Midget, which would take you a good deal further before needing to add anything more.

Other suggestions are available, YMMV etc. :)

I have a Markbass 2x10 combo. Very loud for a 2x10 & hasn't let me down since I got it 4 years ago. If it's a combo you're after, then I'd put it as one of your top contenders & you'll pick one up 2nd hand in your budget.

If you're considering the Promethean, the Harley Benton (currently unavailable) or Red Sub versions should be on your list as well. They're essentially the same amp at a much lower price.

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/168416-another-promethean-clone/

I heard a Promethean a week or two ago, and was astonished at how such a small box can go so LOUD and so LOW.
If I were in the market for a portable combo I would consider it very seriously indeed. I believe they have been discontinued, so eventually will become a very desirable item, with price tag to match... and I'm not sure the 'clones' are the same high quality, component-wise.

Having said that, I'm more than happy with my Markbass LM250 and BFM J12, so the thing to do is try out a few alternatives and see what tickles your fancy. Markbass amps are [i]extremely [/i]reliable, however!

Edited by discreet

I can't see myself ever finding a reason to replace my Little Mark II & Schroeder 1212L cab. Together they make a great lightweight rig. I used it at a fairly large pub gig on Friday & even though the soundman ran a cable from the DI out of the amp to the PA, after the gig he told me he didn't use the DI at all - the amp filled the room with warm chewy bass perfectly and I wasn't pushing it hard.

Promethean being discontinued probably counts that out. May try out some "clones" if I can find them, but at nearly half the price there has to be a catch. Build or sound quality no doubt.

Looking highly likely the MarkBass route is a very possible one, is it true you can remove the "head" from the combo's also?

Strange there was no love for EBS. Is there anything particularly wrong about them?

And thanks for the replies and suggestions, time to get out and try a few :)

[quote name='littlegreenman' timestamp='1332710245' post='1592068']
Promethean being discontinued probably counts that out.
[/quote]

They are still available. At the moment. [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_p5110_promethean.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_p5110_promethean.htm[/url]

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1332703935' post='1591940']
and I'm not sure the 'clones' are the same high quality, component-wise.
[/quote]

As I have no evidence with which to rebut your suspicion, all I can say is ask me how it's doing in a year's time - the first year of my five year warranty.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1332711585' post='1592098']
As I have no evidence with which to rebut your suspicion, all I can say is ask me how it's doing in a year's time - the first year of my five year warranty.
[/quote]

I've no evidence, either. :) And I'd really like to do an A-B between a Promethean and a clone - now we just need someone with a Promethean to play ball... :D

Just read through that thread, and I think I "really" need to try out a Reidmar for sure. Small enough head to fit in a bag/case, and carrying a 112 or 210 isn't that much hassle. Really like all the EBS tones I've heard and if it sounds that good, then I think we have a weiner ;)

Edited by Hamster

Tecamp....I have a Tecamp Puma 350 head and i've had no volume issues at any gig i've played at. It's small and incredibly lightweight at just 2.4kg (5.3lbs). Running it at 4 ohms (like I do) you get 350w and if you use 8ohms it's 250w. Secondhand prices are easily within your budget. They sound excellent as well. Here's mine.......

[attachment=103485:Tecamp Puma head front.JPG] [attachment=103486:Tecamp Puma 350 head top.JPG] [attachment=103487:Tecamp Puma head rear.JPG]

Edited by clarkpegasus4001

[/quote]

5-year warranty as well?
I'm having a lot of trouble stopping myself buying one of these neep...

• 2 years later...

[quote name='Ed_S' timestamp='1332664852' post='1591210']
I have my mini-rig sat right next to me now consisting of a Markbass Little Mark II and an Eden EX112 which you could easily pick up for the sort of money you want to spend and is very compact, yet plenty capable for anything from home practise to small pub gigs. Buy or borrow another cab and that'll take you to bigger-gig level. [/quote]

Hi Ed, would liek to ask for an update on your experience with that mini rig you have, particularly when using it for small pub gigs — would it do the job at Barfly, for example?

I'm about to buy the Black Line 250 and I'm tempted with the Ex112 to match a power/portable amp/cab.
Thanks in advance!
Cheers,

[quote name='Salt on your Bass?' timestamp='1332828327' post='1593556']
Dont forget to check out out genz and gk gear if you get the chance.
[/quote]

I use one of the new GK 1x12 combos, loud enough to keep up with a loud rock band, my only criticism is it is a little clinical sounding, but that can be rectified with a dirt pedal

Reidmar IMO is a great little piece of kit, I bought one as an easy to carry backup for my Eden head, but nowadays leave the Eden at home. The reidmar may only be 250W at 4 ohms but by god its loud. Together with my Barefaced Compact its a light but damn loud combination. Might just squeeze in on your budget if you go 2nd hand

Hope this helps.

[quote name='Muri' timestamp='1396004779' post='2408855']

Hi Ed, would liek to ask for an update on your experience with that mini rig you have, particularly when using it for small pub gigs — would it do the job at Barfly, for example?

I'm about to buy the Black Line 250 and I'm tempted with the Ex112 to match a power/portable amp/cab.
Thanks in advance!
Cheers,
[/quote]

Hi Muri,

Sadly I don't own the Eden any more, having traded it for a Barefaced Midget. It was a good cab for the money, but you couldn't attenuate the tweeter element of the speaker, and ultimately I didn't feel that the co-axial speaker was altogether happy with what I was throwing at it.

Depending on what you play, I don't think you'd have any problem with the volume of it at a 'normal' pub gig without PA, and the Markbass' VLE control would certainly help with the tweeter, but keep your expectations realistic in terms of loud low-end.

All the best,
Ed

[/quote]

Having previously owned and loved my original Promethean Combo, I was amazed at just how good your Red Sub clone sounded mate.
It's not nearly as elegant in design as the Ibanez but it was very solid and built to last, a bit bigger than the Ibanez and a bit too carpety for my liking, but in a blindfold test I don't think you could tell the difference. If I'm in the market for a Promethean again, I'd happily go for a clone having now managed to audition one :)

Eude