Why become a member? ×

Bass or base?

Pinball

So being from the north I have a bass guitar, pronounced like "crass" guitar but I'm finding that others down here in the south have bass guitars they call base guitars. This is causing marital problems so I need a definitive answer as to which is right.

Only one way to find out which is right, c.mon fight,which is it? :ph34r:

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1332334589' post='1586766']
Bass as in ass? Never heard it called that before anywhere. Bass as in face, grace, case, lace, mace, pace and race.
[/quote]

Yep - this. Having lived in deepest Yorkshire for ten years, even they pronounced as in face, lace etc.

[quote name='Pinball' timestamp='1332341080' post='1586930']
haahaa well I may have lost the argument but these posts are cracking me up, made my day!

I guess I'll have to change my ways or pretend to cough each time I say it :blush:
[/quote]

Don't worry, what counts is how you play it - not how you say it! ;)

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1332338310' post='1586865']
I was in looking at fishing rods once. Made the mistake of talking about Base instead of Bass . Wasn't until I noticed the guy who owned the place giving those strange looks and polite nodding I twigged on and had to explain I had just come from the guitar shop down the road. :lol: :lol: :lol:
[/quote]

I bet they said "are you after rockfish or rock lobsters?"

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1332341186' post='1586934']
Don't worry, what counts is how you play it - not how you say it! ;)
[/quote]

Only just!

I'm putting some stuff on SoundCloud soon so you will be able to comment on my bass slapping technique!

Edited by Pinball

probably belongs to the other pronounciation thread but in the olden days before the internet I rang up directory enquiries to get the number for the bass centre. I asked for bass ( as in lace ) which is the only pronouncation and the operator insisted on calling it bass ( as in grass ) , she even told me that my pronounciation was wrong :angry:

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1332335464' post='1586803']
Northerners do some f***ing strange things, but I've never heard one say Base Guitar before.
[/quote]

I always thought i was a Northerner? Seems I was a Southerner all along ? :)

Base ? I say [i]PAH[/i] to base

PS: Mind you there are some strange regional variations. I remember being in Sheffield at the swimming baths there, the one with the three high diving boards. I went up to the top one, and was wavering a bit at the end. One of the local lads behind me says "whats tha matter. Its only watter" (rhyming water with matter) Which i though highly amusing.

Edited by daz

[quote name='thunderbird13' timestamp='1332341570' post='1586944']
probably belongs to the other pronounciation thread but in the olden days before the internet I rang up directory enquiries to get the number for the bass centre. I asked for bass ( as in lace ) which is the only pronouncation and the operator insisted on calling it bass ( as in grass ) , she even told me that my pronounciation was wrong :angry:
[/quote]

Thats her, she is my best friend!

[quote name='thunderbird13' timestamp='1332341570' post='1586944']
[/quote]

She pronounced it to rhyme with arse? That's weird.

This one rhymes with ass:

[quote name='daz' timestamp='1332341631' post='1586947']
I always thought i was a Northerner? Seems I was a Southerner all along ? :)

Base ? I say [i]PAH[/i] to base

PS: Mind you there are some strange regional variations. I remember being in Sheffield at the swimming baths there, the one with the three high diving boards. I went up to the top one, and was wavering a bit at the end. One of the local lads behind me says "whats tha matter. Its only watter" (rhyming water with matter) Which i though highly amusing.
[/quote]

Yeah I got that all f***ed up and meant to type 'bAss' guitar. It doesn't matter though really, it's one of those threads that has no significance, I don't even know why I wasted my time replying :D :rolleyes:

Always classed myself as almost a Northerner (from Nottingham originally) and now living further south but never heard the fishy version before in respect of a bass guitar.

Often have a smile at graASS and grARSE though and path and parth !