Why become a member? ×

Left handed muppets

jazseven

I'm guessing it's because the puppeteers are right handed,therefor their dominant hand will be
the fretting hand of a left handed puppet(assuming that both puppet and puppeteer are facing the
audience) as the fretting hand generally moves more it made it easier for the muppets to be left handed.

[quote name='jazseven' timestamp='1332108215' post='1583495']
Has anyone else noticed that all the guitarists in the muppet band are left handed?
I am curious as to why this might be unless all the are left handed which seems unlikely xD
[/quote]

I have alway's noticed that too :)

What is all this crazy talk about muppeteers ! ?
The muppets are real and do all of their own stunts :)

[quote name='Chris Horton' timestamp='1332191654' post='1584688']
The thing that i find quite freaky is that out of all the muppets , the Sweedish Chef is the only muppet with human hands !! Scary !
[/quote]
Doesn't Ralf the piano playing dog have human hands? And Fozzy?

They have furry muppet hands, the swedish chef has bare naked human hands!!! I don't see why it's strange though, Rowlf is a dog, of course he has furry hands. The swedish chef is a people from sweden who cooks, so he has human hands, hurgdy gurdy.

I always assumed they were paying homage to me. No?

I'm sure whoever played guitar in Sooty's band was L/H.

Anyway,do we think it is because the puppeteers are facing their puppets to see them in action maybe?

I'm happy with left handed Muppets. No sarcastic jokes here. Respect all the way.

[quote name='leftyhook' timestamp='1332200365' post='1584872']
I'm sure whoever played guitar in Sooty's band was L/H.

[/quote]

I didn't know Sooty had a guitarist. I thought Sooty played clarinet, Sweep played drums and Sue played piano. Maybe you saw them with a different line up. Was that their Flamenco period?

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1332230717' post='1584999']
I didn't know Sooty had a guitarist. I thought Sooty played clarinet, Sweep played drums and Sue played piano. Maybe you saw them with a different line up. Was that their Flamenco period?
[/quote]

Surely Sooty is most famous for playing the xylophone?

[quote name='Earbrass' timestamp='1332239464' post='1585183']
Surely Sooty is most famous for playing the xylophone?
[/quote]

You're right, he was a mean vibes player!
It's just I saw him playing the sax on Southport Pier last year and I had forgotten about his illustrious career on vibes! : :D

[quote name='leftyhook' timestamp='1332200365' post='1584872']
...........I'm sure whoever played guitar in Sooty's band was L/H........
[/quote]

Same in Mongels:[b] (Oops, not suitable for work)[/b]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72zLHGCOm-0[/media]

Edited by Fat Rich

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1332251826' post='1585560']

[b]Operation[/b]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]The Muppeteer or Muppet master always holds the Muppet above his head or in front of his body, with one hand operating the head and mouth and the other manipulating the hands and arms, either with two separate control rods or by "wearing" the hands like gloves. One consequence of this design is that most Muppets are left-handed as the puppeteer uses his right hand to operate the head while operating the arm rod with his left hand. There are many other common designs and means of operation. In advanced Muppets, several Muppeteers may control a single character; the performer who controls the mouth usually provides the voice for the character. As technology has evolved, the Jim Henson team and other puppeteers have developed an enormous variety of means to operate Muppets for film and television, including the use of suspended rigs, internal motors, remote radio control, and computer enhanced and superimposed images. Creative use of a mix of technologies has allowed for scenes in which Muppets appear to be riding a bicycle, rowing a boat, and even dancing on-stage with no puppeteer in sight.[/size][/font][/color]

[/quote]

At last, some useful information on Basschat :biggrin: