Why become a member? ×

Basses that you've never wanted to own.

Marvin

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1332018204' post='1582269']
Fender Precision - I don't find the necks at all comfortable and, being the 6'6" giant of a man that I am, the body shape never quite feels comfortable. Sound wise, they have that reassuring THUD!, but I can get that with other instruments.

Musicman - love the sound but it's that damn body shape again.

Rickenbacker - not a fan of the appearance and although it has a distinctive sound, it's not a sound that I've ever found a use for.

Wierd Spikey things - do I look like I belong in a Mad Max film? :blink:

Yamaha BB range - Sound OK but they do remind me of a carricature of a PB.

Explorer/Thunderbird - body shape issues.

Single cutaways - body shape issues

SG - body shape issues.

So.... that doesn't leave me with much to look at... :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Whats left!?!?

[quote name='convair' timestamp='1332451083' post='1588680']
Whats left!?!?
[/quote]

Well Jazz basses (although I'm not a great fan).
I find the Ibby SR body shape quite comfortable and the necks lovely and slim (therefore closer string spacing), so anything like that really.

There was a guy on a forum a long time ago who made a 14 string bass from scratch (or scrap). It was a catastrophic failure and he tried to flog it on ebay for £400. I never wanted to own that bass.

There was even a youtube parody video of it but I think it's been deleted. I remember asking the guy about string gauges, and got a reply along the lines of "30 to 140 in increments of 10" :lol:

• 2 months later...

Definitely Ricks, always thought they were ugly, and not a fan of the sound either to be honest.

Any weird shape exotic wood fancy thing. Just look stupid to me, I'm nice and comfortable with standard shape things (e.g Fenders and Musicmans)

Foderas, Ken Smiths, Seis, ACGs...
I would happily have a go on one though if the opportunity arose though. The looks just do nothing for me, and I imagine the sound to be very modern, clinical and sterile - probably totally incorrect an assumption.

Despite this general aversion to this style of modern, silly money boutique instrument, I'm still fairly obsessed with Alembics, partly because they still have that 70s hippy ideal imae, but mainly because I know how awesome they can sound.

Lordy.

I dislike most Fenders, maybe becasue I like innovation in design, too bland for my liking.

I think Ricks are fairly ugly and camp. If Liberace played bass...

Parker make horrendous looking bass guitars and they should be held to account.

BC Rich, they are just sh*t, plain and simple. They look stupid and I would be embarrassed to be seen with one.

Alembic's 'widescreen' basses simply look unwieldy and awkward.

Daisy Rock guitars. Do I need to explain?

Danelectro. Foulest guitars ever conceived, universally across the board. Horrid. Stop now.

i mean not to offend with any of the following, as i would play pretty much anything if it came down to it...

1. Ricks.. Not a very pleasant shape, not a very pleasant tone..

2. Single cuts... why? for the life of me i cant think of the reason of a single cut design..... my neck is stable enough thanks

3. Headless basses or basses that have multiple LED lights in the neck., with an ultra modern tone...OMG ,, where do i start on how bad that is... you need to give up the glory days of Mark King... step away from your Status and take that plaster off your thumb..

4. Gibson SG Gibson thunderbird,, great tone, just not my thing shape wise

6. Fodera's... where do i start.. I hate to say it as they are awsome basses, but Fodera seem to have carved out this image through marketing that there basses are better than anything else on the market, and there prices reflect this.... utter nonsense...Martin Peterson at Sei can make a bass that could match any Fodera and so can STR, Sadowsky, etc.... but Fodera decide they will charge twice as much a everyone else..? i personally would feel like a self important moron playing a Fodera on stage

7.Buckeyed burl.. see 6. awful looking wood

Stingray - no good reason really, they just don't do anything for me.
Warwick Dolphin - for obvious reasons.
Basses with spikes - I'm clumsy enough knocking into band-mates with just my Corvette - nevermind impaling them on a BC Rich :D

Edited by Ben Jamin

Despite playing a Precision, I like to think I'd be open minded, and would happily play some single cut (especially Ritter or ACG) and headless (Steinberger Cricket bat).

These are my "would never own" basses (I'm sure they are great, but they offend me aesthetically):

- Warwick Vampire
- Fodera Anthony Jackson
- Vigiers (except the Passion model)

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1339979022' post='1697264']
Fender Jazz
[/quote]
Yup! I'm afraid to actually try one in case I like it, they're so bloomin' ugly!

Warwicks too. Actually there are loads, but they tend to be the more expensive ones so it ain't ever gonna be a problem.

[quote name='dudewheresmybass' timestamp='1339922278' post='1696198']
Warwick - although I really like the Spector
Mm- only ever played one I liked and that was an olp
Jazz- just can't get on with the body shape
[/quote]
Hey - are you me? :)

I'll only add singlecuts to that list.