Why become a member? ×

Basses that you've never wanted to own.

Marvin

Warwicks - Like the tone but not the aesthetics.

Ricks - Don't like the sound or aesthetics.

Status - Too blingy/flashy. Should have 6 strings and be reserved for egotistical guitarists :P

Yamaha - I'm going to be honest. I just don't get what all the fuss is about.

Wals - The Delorean of the bass world. Stylistically stuck in the 80s and were never actually cool. Geeks tried to make it cool and in turn created a new low on the geek scale, so lesser geeks finally had someone to bully.

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1332028104' post='1582405']
Wals - The Delorean of the bass world. Stylistically stuck in the 80s and were never actually cool. Geeks tried to make it cool and in turn created a new low on the geek scale, so lesser geeks finally had someone to bully.
[/quote]

IBTL

Anything with more than 4 strings.

Bongo's = look like toilet seats.

Anything that sounds like a w***y recipe e.g. [i]rosewood and hard maple on specially selected Madagascan mantlewood, highlighted with ebonised accents and hand finished in select Indian shellac[/i]... (usually found with with more than 4 strings - see picture of twat earlier in thread)

Edited by bengreen49

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1332028104' post='1582405']
[/quote]

Bam! :lol:

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1332027323' post='1582395']
That said, I would be quite happy with an ucking fugly bass if the other two factors weighed in at 10.
[/quote]
I hate the look of Stingray 5s, but I own one because it plays and sounds great.

Never a fan of rics or Warwicks, but never tried either.

Anything that's red gets a big no from me. Also 7+ strings and multiple woods on the face of the bass (see Fodera Ying Yang and W&T Al Green as prominent examples).
I also don't like bound and blocked necks or black hardware (black knobs are ok though). I also don't like short scale basses.
Argh, I've just remembered that I hate hate hate pickups with large pole pieces (namely, Delanos!
Other than that, pointy singlecut silly wood fretless basses are fair game when it comes to me!
Truckstoo

I've never wanted a P, but I did have a Tanglewood fretless P in the early '90s that was a pretty nice bass, the neck was nothing like a Precision it was really slim and nice. These days I do quite like the idea of a Sandberg PM5, but that's the only P I want. And I'd ask for a J neck on it.

I've never wanted a Status because they are for 45 year old men with beer guts who saw Mark King play one. Consequently they must be the most-LED-fingerboarded basses ever made. Sorry to whoever here has a fingerboard festooned with LEDs but seriously what the f*** were you thinking? Do you just LOVE christmas?

But I would consider a Status aftermarket neck on a nicer bass. If they weren't so expensive.

Edited by thisnameistaken

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1332027323' post='1582395']
There are basses that I love the look of. There are ones that I love the feel of and there are ones that I love the sound of. Rarely are they all in the same bass. [/quote]

+1

I love the Musicman sound but the look and feel of it just don't do it for me.

Always wanted to own a Rickenbacker until I played one. Now, definitely not something I want to own. The body and neck are seemingly designed to be the opposite of what I find comfortable.

Yamaha - sorry, they look horrible. The pickups are the key horror and the headstock - which I would be able to forgive otherwise - completes the nightmare. I've never played one and I never shall.

Fender Tele basses...look ghastly.

Anything which looks wider than my hand, such as the 11-string monstrosity posted above. No animosity to anyone who would want to play it, though. Creativity strikes us all in different ways and, if he can play it, well done to him.

Headless basses, single cuts, basses with LEDs on the fingerboard - thanks, but no thanks.

Once, I never wanted a Jazz or a Precision. Now I have a (Warmoth) Jazz and it is great. When Warmoth sort themselves out and offer a proper 5-string P, I'll get one. Nice.

Once, I never wanted anything with more than four strings. Now I wouldn't want anything with fewer than five, although I think that 6 is my limit (but suspect 5 is my actual limit).

[quote name='bengreen49' timestamp='1332028465' post='1582411']

Bongo's = look like toilet seats.

[/quote]

Agree - accurate description too. :laugh1:
Can't quite take to single cut away basses either. Too weird for my tastes.

Kinda like the BC Rich basses shown earlier and the Mockingbird for some weird reason.

Dave

Oh, all right then. Natural wood finishes, on [i]any[/i] bass. Always reminds me of the type of furniture you get in crappy boarding houses, terrible hotels and rubbish B&Bs. And 70s coffee tables. :P

And while I'm on, I'm not overly fond of Rosewood fingerboards, either *hides under stairs* but I [i]would[/i] tolerate one [i]if[/i] somebody gave me a 1962 Fender P... unlikely, I must admit. :D

Edited by discreet

I don't like singlecuts, pointy rocky basses or Pedulla Buzz shape basses, Ritters, Parker fly shaped things.

It's great that Gus make a bass that breaks the mould but to me it looks like an accident in a sausage factory.

I don't like headless basses or LEDs which makes get togethers with my mates on the Statii forum slightly awkward :D

I don't like the feel of short scale basses, I've tried to get to grips with my 6 stringer but I just don't feel the need for that extra string, although I do like 5 stringers.

I've never got on with Warwicks or Alembics, Jaydees or Ricks although I can understand why some people like them so much.

Other than that, I'll play anything.

Any neck-thru with that dreadful stripe down the middle of the body - horrid.

Jaydees - hideous

Warwicks - not comfortable to me and they feel 'sticky'

I think I'm always going to lean towards Fenders , MMs and Rics because they were the quality kit I grew up with.

Rickenbackers - look like a cheap chrismas cracker bass -plays a bit like one too

MM Bongo toilet seat ( brilliant )

Anything with a massive extended top horn ( Peavey Cirrus / Shuker type shape ) - looks like one of those cheap tin openers that never work . ( probably play brilliantly , though ? )

Anything that would look out of place on stage. For example, it wouldn't look right to be playing soul with a BC Rich, or Metal with a Hofner.

As a guy who plays just about everything, I like basses that fit just about everything - Fenders!

Particular dislikes though, include -
6 or more strings
Natural finishes
Pointyness
Headless
Single cutaway
On-board Active mission-control EQ (2 or 3 band is ok, push/pull pots, 100s of switches, more knobs than a Brighton gay bar, coil taps etc etc - f*ck off!)

And the big no-no...

LEDs - I'm on a stage, not a runway!