Why become a member? ×

Singing Lessons

leftyhook

Anyone here had singing lessons?
I mean anyone who felt they couldn't sing, then suddenly found they could with
training?
I can sing harmonies, but not strong enough for lead.

I have always believed you are born with a voice, otherwise you aint a singer.

Do we all have a voice waiting to be trained?

Please guys, keep the jokes to a minimum, I really want to hear of your experiences and opinions.

Look here if you have time, as an example and watch the guy in the video
[url="http://singingsuccess.com/how-to-sing-singing-success-program/?play=true#singingsuccess-video"]http://singingsuccess.com/how-to-sing-singing-success-program/?play=true#singingsuccess-video[/url]

I can't see why this guy would be talking bull, but...EVERYONE can sing?

Cheers!

[quote name='leftyhook' timestamp='1331899355' post='1580583']
I can't see why this guy would be talking bull, but...EVERYONE can sing?
[/quote]

I'd go with that. Everyone can sing.....not necessarily well,but everyone with a voice can sing to one
degree or another.

Singing can mean an awful lot of things. You don't even have to be a good singer to be a frontperson, but you DO have to have the required personality to carry it off.

I actually think most people can learn to sing, except Stephen Fry, but it depends what you intend to do with your voice.

I can sing reasonably well, have quite a range at over two octaves and a nice-ish falsetto, and can sing harmony with little effort, but I don't dig the sound of my singing voice and I am not comfortable singing with a fake voice. I had some lessons and they were useful, but mostly for technique and good practice. I am a decent backing vocalist, but not a character vocalist.

Most people can imitate Elvis right? But you can't disconnect your voice from your personality, and whatever you sing in earnest will have a much more emotional effect on you than what you play on an instrument, leading to everything from great pleasure and confidence, to scrotum-shrivelling embarrassment.

There is often more unlearning than learning at the beginning, and finding out the best questions to ask. For instance I always thought one had to sing loudly (having been a rock fan most of my life), but singing at, or just above, your speaking level is usually fine for most things, certainly you get a richer and more controlled tone that way.

So I reckon their are two elements to singing lessons, learning technique and breathing, and liberating your vocal personality and character.

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1331901673' post='1580628']
I'd go with that. Everyone can sing.....not necessarily well,but everyone with a voice can sing to one
degree or another.
[/quote]

I beg to differ.

There are plenty of people out there who are genuinely tone deaf, and a much large number of people who are functionally tone deaf - i.e. they sing so reliably badly that they might as well be genuinely tone deaf.

In similar vein, there are plenty who can sing the right tones but are incapable of getting anywhere near the timing.

Reverting to the original question, I think that [i][b]most [/b][/i]people have a singing voice waiting to be uncovered, but nowhere near all of them.

I took some lessons last year. To set the scene, I had never sung and had absolute no clue what was involved. I just wanted to be able to sing backing.

It was interesting in that - much to my surprise - I was told I could sing in key and we established my range etc. However, it still didn't mean anything to me - I only had the teachers word for it that I was doing it right or not, if that makes sense. It became a sticking point. I really have zero confidence and that became the barrier.

So - yes, very useful indeed but you still have to dig some confidence and feel for singing from inside yourself. Its not like plunking on strings :)

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1331901376' post='1580619']
I've got a pretty awful voice and I don't imagine singing lessons would make enough of a difference. My pitch is fine and I can improvise or remember harmony parts easily, but I wouldn't sing alone just because of the quality of my voice.

If you find I'm wrong please let me know and I'll go get some lessons. :)
[/quote]

Same here.

Self consciousness is the biggest barrier to most peoples vocal efforts. I sing BVs and have occasionally done lead, I don't rate my voice but can put on a 'proper singing voice' to get a job done.
I'd give anything for a major set of pipes... and a great sound, would swap it for my bass playing abilities anyday.
I sing flat often, so have that to work against, it helps to know where you're at in technical terms as it gives you something to aim for.

PS a good teacher will help for sure, but [i]really[/i] good teachers in anything are hard to find....

Edited by jakenewmanbass

[quote name='jakenewmanbass' timestamp='1331905488' post='1580722']
Self consciousness is the biggest barrier to most peoples vocal efforts. I sing BVs and have occasionally done lead, I don't rate my voice but can put on a 'proper singing voice' to get a job done.
[b]I'd give anything for a major set of pipes... and a great sound, would swap it for my bass playing abilities anyday.[/b]
I sing flat often, so have that to work against, it helps to know where you're at in technical terms as it gives you something to aim for.

PS a good teacher will help for sure, but [i]really[/i] good teachers in anything are hard to find....
[/quote]

That's an interesting point! So would I. But there's little one can do if the tone of one's voice is not beautiful.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1331907111' post='1580762']
That's an interesting point! So would I. But there's little one can do if the tone of one's voice is not beautiful.
[/quote]
I remember the rumour that Bonnie Tyler had an operation to give her a grave-type voice. It certainly changed after her first hit, Lost in France.
I would seriously have an operation to sing, even if it meant altering my speaking voice.
And I agree, bass playing, I would discard my abilities n a flash to be able to sing. How frustrating to be able to write songs, but not perform them!

Interesting discussion guys. I am lucky in so far I can hear whether I am out of tune whilst I am actually singing. I don't think my voice is fantastic but I think it is ok. I would agree that as far as getting a teacher is concerned, you do probably have to have to have something to work of to begin with.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1331903900' post='1580672']
I beg to differ.

There are plenty of people out there who are genuinely tone deaf, and a much large number of people who are functionally tone deaf - i.e. they sing so reliably badly that they might as well be genuinely tone deaf.

In similar vein, there are plenty who can sing the right tones but are incapable of getting anywhere near the timing.

Reverting to the original question, I think that [i][b]most [/b][/i]people have a singing voice waiting to be uncovered, but nowhere near all of them.
[/quote]

I agree with Jack - (I think) I sound great in the shower but in reality???..not so much..My ex-ptr couldn't sing in tune, in key or hold a note and she thought that she [i]could [/i]sing..if you asked Simon Cowell if everybody could sing I'm pretty sure he would disagree..whether or not everybody could be taught to sing..I think you'd need to look at whether it's cost effective to try and find out..

Some prime examples of those who've made money out of not be able to sing would include Banarama and the girls from The Human League..

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1331903900' post='1580672']
I beg to differ.

[/quote]

So these people who are singing horribly are still singing...just extremely badly. So I still say that everyone can sing
to one degree or another.I'm sure that even tone deaf people sing in the shower or car-they may be dreadful,but
it's still singing.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1331922158' post='1581023']
Quite often it's like Jake says, a confidence thing. Maybe the OP would like to post a sample of his singing so we can give an honest and constructive appraisal?
[/quote]

The thing is, I can impersonate a singing voice (false vibrato, silky tone),but if I try to push the volume ...ooh, plain Johnny.
You can't analyse my voice because it would be in disguise :)

I had lessons for about 18 months and always came out aftewards feeling really good. Problem was I lived in a shared house and was really self conscious of practising at home in case people heard me, didn't practice and so didn't really get any better.

Our singer started as he wanted more control over vocals and was pretty bad to begin with. He ploughed regardless on and is now a very good vocalist so I think with practice most people can be good, and a good teacher is always a good start as with most things. So yeah, go for it and put the effort in and you'll see results.

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' timestamp='1331941510' post='1581387']

Our singer started as he wanted more control over vocals and was pretty bad to begin with. He ploughed regardless on and is now a very good vocalist so[b] I think with practice most people can be good[/b], and a good teacher is always a good start as with most things. So yeah, go for it and put the effort in and you'll see results.
[/quote]

That's what I think too (but I am generally a stupidly optimistic b***ger).

Genuine tone deafness is very rare and (I think) a clinical condition.
My belief and observation is that most people can 'sing' a tune properly in their heads but can't always sing it out 'for real' properly. This is because they lack the skill to use the tools they have (the vocal chords, the links between brain and voice, breathing etc). properly. These skills can be taught, learned and practised.
Whether anyone becomes a singer of character that others want to listen to, and are engaged by, is a different matter!

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1331985661' post='1581711']
That's what I think too (but I am generally a stupidly optimistic b***ger).

Genuine tone deafness is very rare and (I think) a clinical condition.
My belief and observation is that most people can 'sing' a tune properly in their heads but can't always sing it out 'for real' properly. This is because they lack the skill to use the tools they have (the vocal chords, the links between brain and voice, breathing etc). properly. These skills can be taught, learned and practised.
Whether anyone becomes a singer of character that others want to listen to, and are engaged by, is a different matter!
[/quote]

Well said, that man

I never used to sing, I was completely off key all the time I tried. Then I joined a covers band about ten years ago and was asked to sing back up, when I told them that I couldnt sing they didnt care! There were two vocalists in there already, so I hid behind their voices.
Fast forward ten years when I joined a new band, I was trying to get the guys to do a cover of Creedence Clearwaters 'Fortunate Son' and the singer couldt quite nail it. So I had a go at it myself to demonstrate it and really surprised myself!
The band where so impressed they said 'Wow! you sang that really well, why dont you sing it?'
So all those years singing week in week out, I trained my voice without me even knowing it!! :D

I'm hoping that's what will happen to me soon!
I do basic backing vocals in my covers band (luckily, mostly rock covers so no BV's needed, but some of the more pop tunes need harmonies) and although I seem to be able to harmonise without too much trouble, singing while playing bass is proving tricky and I lack power and substance in my voice. The band seem to think I sound ok, so I'll not worry about singing lessons anytime soon, I'm hoping I'll just sort myself out through experience! I'm a self-taught bassplayer, so why not vocals too?

Truckstop

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1331902610' post='1580644']
and I am not comfortable singing with a fake voice.
[/quote]

I used to be the same, with the result that I sang in a louder version of my normal speaking voice and the result, although in tune, was pretty harsh and horrible.
I was having some lessons for the purposes of doing some backing vocals and my teacher was saying try this and that, but I said the very same thing as you say,
that I felt uncomfortable (and a bit of a poser) singing in a 'put on' voice.

He made a very good point though:

When you play an instrument, such as a bass, you try out different basses, you try different amps & cabs, you experiment with different strings and with EQ settings, and sometimes go through pedals, until you get a sound you like.

Well (he said), your voice is exactly the same . It is an instrument, so play around with it until you get a sound you like, it is still [b]your[/b] voice. The only difference is that the controls are inside your head and body.

The idea does take some getting used to, and it initially feels a bit weird hearing a different voice coming out of you. In my case I have got a lot quieter and more mellow, and I now do a bit of singing at a local open mic and it seems to go down well.

Also, don't think that you have just one voice - you'd adjust you bass settings for a different song, so don't be afraid of doing the same with your voice - it's still your voice.

Believe me, having changed my singing voice is a lot less embarrassing, than if I hadn't.

• 6 months later...

Just found this topic as I'm considering starting some singing lessons. I've been singing scales whilst practising them on my DB which seems to have already greatly improved my pitch from a dischordant mess to only slightly patchy, so I'm now hoping that a teacher can help me improve properly.

In terms of this discussion, my guess would be that many people seem to naturally sing well, but I'd like to think that as with most things that singing is something that can be improved with proper study/practise. After all, it takes practise to hit the notes properly on a fretless, and I haven't yet noticed any brass wires in my throat...