Why become a member? ×

is your rig a keeper?

bubinga5

Yes. My new GK combo and cab will do everything I require of it gig wise and I don't see that changing. If Doc B stopped I wouldn't be in a rush to do anything else and , at my time of life , it could well be the end of me gigging in the way I've come to know it - ie rock band in pubs. In which case I'd probably sell the ext cab and wait for something new to come knocking that was interesting and meant I could just use the combo.

I've never got over excited about gear. I'm a player , not a collector. I can get attached to an instrument because it's such a tactile thing but not amps. Black boxes with knobs on. I want them to sound OK in 'neutral' and not break - nothing more.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1331887417' post='1580297']
I've never got over excited about gear. I'm a player , not a collector. I can get attached to an instrument because it's such a tactile thing but not amps. Black boxes with knobs on. I want them to sound OK in 'neutral' and not break - nothing more.
[/quote]

Good point! Isn't it interesting how people use very different words to describe their amplification rather than their guitars? There is a lot less emotional attachment to the electrical stuff then there is for the bass itself. Why is that I wonder? Is it because we aren't physically connected to the amps?

You rarely hear anyone say "I could never get rid of this amp - she and I go back a long way and have many shared memories... etc, etc"

Discuss B)

Edited by Conan

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1331852381' post='1580090']
Mesa Walkabout Scout 1x12 Combo which sounds fine.

Before that I was using Markbass with Ampeg cab and before that Ashdown, which all also sounded fine.

I've got a Phil Jones Bass Briefcase too, which also sounds fine.
[/quote]
I think theres a lot of truth in that minimal response Dave...
I've had a few different rigs, and they all sounded good - some were lighter than others, some louder. My current rig ticks all the boxes I ever wanted from a rig really; capable of moving a lot of air, nice smooth sound and reasonably lightweight. It also fits in my car boot easily!
I could have a smaller and/or lighter rig, but to be honest its about as small and light as it needs to be whilst being way more powerful than I usually need anyway. Awesome.

These days I don't get GAS for rigs, probably because I have found what I consider to be a keeper.

I do think about getting a spare amp head, mostly as I'm fearful of a failure mid gig. I do carry an MXR M80 DI pedal though, so at a push could go through the PA.

My rig is: GB Shuttle 6 Two 2 x 10" Markbass Cabs.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1331887833' post='1580305']
Good point! Isn't it interesting how people use very different words to describe their amplification rather than their guitars? There is a lot less emotional attachment to the electrical stuff then there is for the bass itself. Why is that I wonder? Is it because we aren't physically connected to the amps?

You rarely hear anyone say "I could never get rid of this amp - she and I go back a long way and have many shared memories... etc, etc"

Discuss B)
[/quote]

Not much to discuss - I just agree. I spend my evenings with my back to my amps - the williams know what they look like better than me! I honestly can;t remember when I last adjusted my amp settings during a gig - but I bet it was becasue I played a duff note and tried to blame the amp ! Never seen much point in twiddling with settings - my ears are shot after 3 songs anyway so I'd probably be making it worse , not better , without me even knowing.

Edited by Dr.Dave

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1331888275' post='1580316']
....Never seen much point in twiddling with settings - my ears are shot after 3 songs anyway so I'd probably be making it worse , not better , without me even knowing....
[/quote]

+1

I might make a small adjustment to the bass knob on the guitar and I might not. I'll turn up the volume if the drummer tells me to and I'll turn the volume down if the management says something. Other than that the only thing I touch on the amp is the mute and the on/off switch.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1331889146' post='1580329']
+1

I might make a small adjustment to the bass knob on the guitar and I might not. I'll turn up the volume if the drummer tells me to and I'll turn the volume down if the management says something. Other than that the only thing I touch on the amp is the mute and the on/off switch.
[/quote]

Agreed again - I did use the mute on my last GK head and I'll miss it because the combo doesn;t have one. The gain and master didn't move for years. Straight up the middle. Folk will dick about trying to make their Jazz sound like their Precision. WHY ??? If you want both your basses to sound the same buy 2 of the same model not one that's designed to sound different !!!!

As for turning down for the management....... well ,maybe if they were adamant , but we always explain what we are and what we do to new venues so if they kick off on the night it we would never go back again. That's not theory - we've acted on that policy several times.

Love the sound of Class D amps.
The Shuttle/EBS and Peavey rack/EBS rigs work so well.
Love my Burmans too...and they work with EBS.
Trace is OK but a bit of a one trick pony.

Only improvement I would make is wedge speaker cabs - a project in the pipeline once I get my workshop set up.

I went through 5 different brands in my first 10yrs of playing...Trace Elliot > Hartke > Warwick > Carlsbro (don't ask!) > Eden. I ordered my first EBS rig from Bernie Goodfellow 8yrs ago and never looked back. Those amps satisfy every musical demand I have and I can't see myself using anything else for a long time to come. Musicians develop their own voice over time and EBS are very much a part of mine. I use the EBS kit mostly for live work, but I use an EA amp for recording quite frequently....

....I bought an EA iAmp 500 (white face) from a friend a few years ago to use in the studio and that is also quite indispensable. One of the guys I work for regularly would shoot me if I got rid of it! He hooks it up to his Manley tube compressor along with a couple of other bits and bobs and we can get some beautiful tones from that set up. I should really upgrade to a EA Pro amp because it is acoustically quieter in use, but the iAmp 500 I got has more features on it such as controllable parallel and series effects loop (you can use both channels at the same time and mix them!), a controllable level DI out (pre/post balanced and unbalanced), two line outs and a tuner! I can send 3 different signals to the desk if I wanted to. Not many amps can boast that! You can really have a lot of fun with this amp in the studio.

Went through a rash of stuff over a couple of years a while back (after a very long time with an Ampeg SVT/810 rig), but settled on the RH450 and Schroeder 1515L - it does the job, is incredibly loud, very very light and easy to shift, and gives me the tones I'm after. I'd consider another Schroeder cab if I was completely confident about it running under 4 ohms.

Will admit to Barefaced GAS, but unless I actually had a chance to try them, it's manageable...so I'm not trying too hard. :D

Modern bass gear all works. I remember back in the 70s a lot of amplification was absolutely shocking and totally unfit for purpose (like some of the cars of the day), but now pretty much any rig is going to perform well and be (relatively) portable and (mostly) reliable.

Just as any modern car is going to perform and be reliable... to labour the analogy somewhat. ;)

Amps or cars (or anything, really) your choice is now generally down to 1) budget and 2) aesthetics. IMHO.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1331892003' post='1580389']
Went through a rash of stuff over a couple of years a while back (after a very long time with an Ampeg SVT/810 rig), but settled on the RH450 and Schroeder 1515L - it does the job, is incredibly loud, very very light and easy to shift, and gives me the tones I'm after. I'd consider another Schroeder cab if I was completely confident about it running under 4 ohms.[/quote]

I'm on a Hartke LH500 which I'm very happy with but always a bit tempted by the compactness of a Littlemark head, and a Schroeder 1212L which I think I would only trade for a 1515L. Great sounding cab and nicely portable.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1331892103' post='1580392']
Modern bass gear all works. I remember back in the 70s a lot of amplification was absolutely shocking and totally unfit for purpose (like some of the cars of the day), but now pretty much any rig is going to perform well and be (relatively) portable and (mostly) reliable.

Just as any modern car is going to perform and be reliable... to labour the analogy somewhat. ;)

Amps or cars (or anything, really) your choice is now generally down to 1) budget and 2) aesthetics. IMHO.
[/quote]

Agreed to a point - I think the thing is that cheaper gear - both amps and instruments - is far better made these days. Way back when cheaper gear was an absolute joke. Now you could go pro with a copy bass. When I left school and saved for a decent bass I had 4 choices - Precision , Jazz , Rick or a pile of sh*te. Not these days you lucky guys and gals.

I doubt there's much difference either between the reliability of cheaper gear and expensive stuff these days. Most likely it was made in some far eastern sweat shop from the cheapest components that could be sourced so ther'll always be a question mark. Likely as not if it doesn't go wrong in the first couple of weeks it'll be fine.

I must admit, the more rigs In play, the more I think 'it just sounds like me but with a few extras'.

I do quite enjoy buying amps and cabs, but my enthusiasm is running out of steam. I've given up searching for super light cabinets after the hike in neo prices, plus, as agreed above, I think the Aguilar DB cabinets are my preference above everything. If I was feeling greedy I would buy a pair of DB112s in Tweed or Choc Brown to match my DB212...then I have two versions of my favourite cab(s)!

All I think I want is a super clean solid state amp with a fair amount of headroom.

My TC gear has definitely proven to be excellent. The 750 and the RS cabinets are excellent.

If im bringing out the big guns, there is nothing quite like my all Orange rig. Yes, its a big heavy tube amp with minimal EQ and bells/whistles, but wow, there is NOTHING like it. It's stayed with me for 3 years and I won't be selling it. Even if I barely gig it, I want to keep it.

Edited by Musicman20

I don't think I've found "the one", in terms of rig - I still see them as a means to an end, in allowing me to make some noise, and in that respect some are better than others. But whilst I'd run back into a burning house to save the dogs, the guitars and then the wife (priorites, gentlemen, priorities - and if she loved me she'd help me carry the guitars out), I think I'd leave the rig and go round the neighbours for a brew whilst waiting for the fire brigade.

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1331892003' post='1580389']
Will admit to Barefaced GAS, but unless I actually had a chance to try them, it's manageable...so I'm not trying too hard. :D
[/quote]

I'm not far from you at all, so if you'd like to try out some BF gear just PM me!

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1331897665' post='1580544']
Markbass LMIII & Aguilar GS112... Perfect.
[/quote]

I always wonder about the guys using the smaller single 12 cabinets how you get on with them. You ever struggle for level or monitoring on stage? I know quite a few players using the single Markbass 12's, mostly for portability purposes, something that living up north I've never struggled with because transport has never been an issue (up until last month I had a big Eden rig), however I'm guessing that if I ever make the move to London I'll need to downsize my rig to be able to get around as well. Just curious to know your experiences really!

Bigger rig - iAmp 800 and Tech Soundsystems 4x10. I am vaguely toying with the idea of trying out a Genz Benz Shuttle 9 as it's quite a bit smaller and lighter than the iAmp, but the iAmp's sound is pretty much what I want by default. The Tech Soundsystems is fine for sound and weight.

Little rig - Gallien Kreuger 200MB, the forerunner to the MB150. Just put a proper replacement speaker in after trying to get away with something cheaper (the original speaker had completely crumbled away round the edge). I think I've had it 20 years now, so it's doing pretty well.