Why become a member? ×

Celebrity Gear - once used by the famous

Born 2B Mild

In an earlier thread, someone posted that they had an amp once used by JJ Burnel. It got me thinking that there must be truck loads of gear out there that has now trickled down to us mere mortals.

Surely there are some interesting items that are now, or have been at one time, in the hands of BC folk. Do tell ...particularly on how you acquired them!

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' post='174199' date='Apr 10 2008, 10:34 PM']In an earlier thread, someone posted that they had an amp once used by JJ Burnel.[/quote]

Aye. I bought it off him a few weeks ago. Didn't get to meet him though - bought it through Wunjo on Denmark Street who were selling it on commission.

I don't really know much about JJ Burnel (I know he's very well respected by some folks on here though). It looked a very interesting quirky amp, the Fender 400 PS. A 435 Watt Valve Fender bass head from the 70s. It also includes a seperate guitar preamp channel too.

Edited by The Funk

I owned a Blue Moon Jazz which used to belong to Mark Egan

Got an email off him confirming it was his

Also had an Alembic Series II I purchased from the Gallery in 1999 which had Mark King Connections !

Also had a prototype Kingbass Black beauty which was played by Mark King at a gig in London - Purchased direct from Rob with all the certificates etc

Edited by Marcus

When I bought this a few years ago it was advertised as having been made for Tom Hamilton.

Root beer body and gold plated hardware. A couple of dings but otherwise excellent condition. It's not had a dard life and plays beautifully. Scratch plate is now back to the original black.

Unfortunately I've never been able to prove it.

my EBS head used to belong to [er, was used on a clinic tour by] Mr. Marcus Miller...... in fact I'm fairly sure this was a yarn spun by Bernie to lure in suckers like me, Marcus probably signed half a dozen of the buggers! Oh well, damn fine bit of kit anyway!

infact, looking at the pic it doesn't really constitute any form of proof that it's even an item of musical gear really does it!?!? maybe I just took a large piece of anodised metal to be signed by the man at one of his gigs?......

ho hum!

I used to have an Orange Matamp head that was previously owned by Davey Johnstone, Elton John's guitarist. I bought it in the mid-70s from this warehouse place in Chalk Farm, London. The place was stocked-to-the-gills with used gear that had been moved on by pro-musicians.
P

I bought a '62 precision from Music Ground, Stainforth nr Doncaster, in the late 70's which was previously owned by Wishbone Ash's bassman (whoever he was/is)

I also tried out a '62 lime green jazz bass which was up for sale in the Bass Center the owner being John Entwistle.
It was poor, weak pickups, thick neck, however, I don't suppose it mattered when plugged in to millions of watts from Sunn amps.

Rhino.

I had a Trace Eliot AH250 and two cabs that were used by double bass players Arild Anderson (Masquelero and other ECM work) and Miroslav Vitous (Weather Report etc) on seperate occasions, one at St Davids Hall in Cardiff, the other (Vitous) at the Brecon Jazz Festival. Apparently, mine was amongst the best gear in the area at the time (mid 80s) and I would also let them use it for free (free tickets that is!!)!

[quote name='Musky' post='174390' date='Apr 11 2008, 10:34 AM']My Status Matrix used to belong to Guy Pratt - it appears to be a prototype. Didn't get to meet him though.[/quote]
I did and I didn't like him very much. He was trying to be too funny and telling borderline rascist (IMO) jokes for one thing.