Why become a member? ×

Celebrity Gear - once used by the famous

Born 2B Mild

[quote name='simondee' post='235470' date='Jul 9 2008, 07:10 AM']My Thumb was *apparently* used by Prince at an awards show in the early 90s at some point. I've found a pic of him playing an identical fretless but not this one, so I'm a bit sceptical.[/quote]

Actually, the white Warwick Thumb fretless used by Prince at The Brits in 1997 belongs to Bob Skeat of Wishbone Ash and is currently for sale at The Bass Centre, unless Bob has collected it. But it is for sale. If anyone is interested in it, PM me and I'll pass your details onto Bob.

Mike

I got King Bass prototype 4 , listed on L42 site as being one of Marks basses, though i dont think he owned the prototypes as it was Status that sold them off. My kingbass was used for reviews by the press and was awarded Bass of the year 2002 in one of magazines.

My Status Streamline was built for Kevin Walker, Bass player for Justin Timberlake, it was built to his special specification including minor body alteration , special electronics and a bit of weight added. Kevin never completed on the deal so Dawn Sold it to me ;-)

I was told my Manson Explorer was owned by someone when i bough it , but I forgot who, it had the name MAC in the fretboard now removed as i had the fret board replaced,

My Dad went on tour with the Who in 1982 to work on the video, and worked with John Entwistle editing the post tour video, sadly he didnt take me along or 'borrow' any of Johns basses , a spyder would have been nice.

Edited by G-77

[quote name='Mike Brooks' post='235562' date='Jul 9 2008, 10:55 AM']Actually, the white Warwick Thumb fretless used by Prince at The Brits in 1997 belongs to Bob Skeat of Wishbone Ash and is currently for sale at The Bass Centre, unless Bob has collected it. But it is for sale. If anyone is interested in it, PM me and I'll pass your details onto Bob.

Mike[/quote]

I hope he didn't treat it like he treated this one:

I've mentioned it somewhere on here before but...

Won my TE AH600SMX and TE 4x12 on ebay. The guy selling it was John Giblin from Simple Minds/Kate Bush etc. He was a really nice guy, had a nice long chat and he gave me a free bass too!

Then, bought my Iceni fretless bitsa off here (or was it bassworld?) from Geoff, the old bass merchant shop manager. Took it to Mike Walsh to get it repaired and soon as I took it out the gig bag he recognised the body as the third prototype of John Giblin's signature bass which unfortunately never got put into production.

So yeah, I'm slowly building up my John Giblin collection by accident.

[quote name='Ba55me15ter' post='174663' date='Apr 11 2008, 04:27 PM']Wow - I used to love them. Saw them down at the Riverside - one of the best gigs I've ever been to. Dick Nolan is a great (and under-rated) groove player. In fact they're back with an album and touring this year - Newcastle Academy on the 1st Oct.[/quote]

I still do love It Bites, well the original band. They just don't do it for me without Dunnery who is still amazing and very successful.

Never had any famous used gear, apart from a Gene Simmons pick he threw at me in Wembley Arena about twenty years ago. Still got it. Does that count? :)

Edited by silddx

Bas players of the world unite: -

Just click on the following link or cut & paste it into your browser. The simple initials JPJ.

[url="http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/lot_details.aspx?from=searchresults&intObjectID=5101185"]http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/lot_det...bjectID=5101185[/url]

Sorry for the short Notice, just get on the phone to Christies. It goes tomorrow, but it could be yours. Godd luck for those with deep pockets.

Okay not bass gear, but the closest I've ever gotten to a famous musician's gear. Our guitarist has a Gibson Les Paul, which was supposedly once owned by Gary Moore. His brother was doing some plastering for some rich producer guy (he has no idea who), who's house was being renovated after it caught on fire. His brother claims that rich producer guy was drunk most of the time, and since this guitar was pretty damaged by the fire (well aesthetically anyway), he was told to just throw it on the skip. Instead of throwing it on the skip, guitarist's brother threw it in the back of his van.

It turns out, other than a required refret, damage to the paint and plastic (humbucker surroundings and switch), there was nothing wrong with it. The burnt paint job looks awesome too. Even the melted looking pick ups were tested, and checked out fine. I have no idea if it really was Gary Moore's guitar, but our guitarist and his brother (both very good mates) aren't the type to BS about such a thing, so unless the producer guy was telling porkies it's legit as far as I'm concerned.

Anyway, it turns out, even without proof of it's alleged former owner, the workshop that fixed up the guitar offered over 3 grand for it (which was turned down). Not bad for a guitar that was gonna end up at the dump. And in case you were wondering, it sounds awesome in it's new found heavy rock roll (as you'd probably expect). Plays nice for a Les Paul too, but I prefer the thinner SG neck.

Do you guys think it might be worthwhile trying to contact Gary Moore about this guitar? He's probably owned a ton of black Les Pauls, but it would be nice to find out for sure.

Edited by stug

I know it's not bass gear, but I've got a few drumsticks that I got a gigs. A good one is Eric Singer of Kiss fame. He was out with Alice Cooper and he was messing with a member of the crew chucking a drumstick back and forth between each other during a track, and I saw the crew member after the gig and got the stick from him :)

A young student of mine gave me one of her grandpa's plectrums as a present recently!....

[b]JPJ[/b] ! (if anyone wants [i]slightly[/i] cheaper memorabilia than the rig at Christie's... I may consider selling!... ) :)

Edited by bottomfeed

[quote name='Galilee' post='237399' date='Jul 11 2008, 03:49 PM']Which begs a question. If her grandfather is John Paul Jones....[/quote]
Yup.... Grandpa actually is JPJ!....

funny thing is, I taught her '7th nation army' - white stripes... which she picked up very quickly...(she really does have potential!.... & only 10 years old!) with emphasis on playing the G/A bridge with alternating 'walking fingers' of the right hand & she came back after seeing grandpa.... & said... 'grandpa gave me a tip about playing that'.....
.'Oh yes... I say, '& what was that?'
'he said I could play that bit with one finger if it was easier!....'

well.... what can I say?! :) :huh: ha!..... :huh:

My friend lives in a giant old house, which used to be a vicarage. Its pretty much a mansion.

Anyhow, in the 60's, it was Keith Richard's country retreat, and he owned it for about twenty years.

One day when my mate and his family were cleaning out the attic, they found a guitar case buried under lots of boxes. Inside lay a very old and virtually factory fresh Fender Stratocaster. They are keeping it untill he has to go to university, then its getting sold.

Lucky b*stard!

[quote name='parker_muse' post='238401' date='Jul 13 2008, 11:12 AM']One day when my mate and his family were cleaning out the attic, they found a guitar case buried under lots of boxes. Inside lay a very old and virtually factory fresh Fender Stratocaster. They are keeping it untill he has to go to university, then its getting sold.[/quote]

That story is truly the stuff of urban myths! :) Hope they get a bundle for it. Be interesting to know what the legal position on it is though, is it theirs to sell?