Why become a member? ×

Celebrity Gear - once used by the famous

Born 2B Mild

[quote name='parker_muse' post='238437' date='Jul 13 2008, 11:56 AM']I know. They thought it was old junk at first and i had to hve a look at it and tell them how ridiculously valuable it was.[/quote]
did you manage to confirm the year at all?

I used to play through an alleged ex-Motorhead / Lemmy 1978 Marshall JMP100. In true rock god style I managed to destroy the drivers in an old Fender Bassman 2x15 midway through a gig with this set-up.

[quote name='parker_muse' post='238545' date='Jul 13 2008, 02:31 PM']I know. He didn't tell me the value of it, but im guessing its going to be in the tens of thousands of pounds.

Any ideas?[/quote]

Probably around £30,000 I expect but if he stuck it up for auction and its provenance was concrete, who knows?

I can beat all of these.

I emailed the guy at Hartke about a set of rack ears when I had my HA5500. He sent me a pair gratis but they didn't seem to fit particularly easy.

When I emailed him about it he said that they were definitely the right ones as they had been taken off one of the amps that Jack Bruce had used during the Albert Hall reunion gigs.

[quote name='Ba55me15ter' post='174663' date='Apr 11 2008, 04:27 PM']My Kubicki Factor used to belong to some bloke who went on to play for George Michael amongst others. It also has a Willis Ramp fitted by the man himself while the previous owner was at B.I.T. (I believe!).[/quote]

You didn't buy that off a guy named Jez who lives in Gosforth did you? He had that bass when I bought my Trace Elliot 4x10" cab off him. Coincidentally, I also had an Ex-Factor at the time!

About 3 years ago, I bought an Ashdown ABM 410 on eBay - the owner was also selling an ABM 115. Turns out that the seller was Dave Bronze and he used both of the Ashdown cabs when he played with Eric Clapton at the George Harrison tribute concert at the Albert Hall. I still have the cab, but I don't use it any more and I cannot convince myself to sell it.

In about 1986, I humped gear for a Level 42 gig. At the end of the night, as we were packing and loading PA, Mark King's guitar tech was restringing EVERY ONE of the dozen or so basses that he had on the tour. Apparently he did this EVERY NIGHT, whether the basses had been played or not. The "old" strings were simply discarded on the floor of the hall.

Me and the other bass players on the humping crew gathered them up and split them between us. I got about four sets that were essentially brand new. Since I had no money to buy new strings, these ones kept me going for a good couple of years... :)

Nobody ever said that his strings made me sound like him though. :huh: (Just as well, since they were one of my least favourite bands ever...)

The strings budget for their tours must have been unbelievable...

[quote name='Mike' post='174353' date='Apr 11 2008, 09:25 AM']I had an old defretted 70's jazz, which was quite heavily modded, and it used to be owned by the bassist from Steve Harley & the Cockney Rebel.[/quote]

MB1. :)
Caleb Quaye me thinks!

MB1. :)
Have had an Overwater bass that had one pickup(apparently previously owned by Dick Nolan out of It Bites.).Have owned a couple of Warwicks that were previously owned by Paul Ryder of The Happy Mondays.I once bought a used flightcase for a Trace Elliot GP7 410 combo.The Flightcase looked new when i'd cleaned it up..... took me ages to get the sprayed logo off..... SIMPLY RED.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='238422' date='Jul 13 2008, 11:39 AM']That story is truly the stuff of urban myths! :) Hope they get a bundle for it. Be interesting to know what the legal position on it is though, is it theirs to sell?[/quote]
I have a degree in Law, although I'm not too hot on conveyancing specifically. I [i]think[/i] the position is that when he bought the house, he also bought any remaining contents also that the owner didnt take with them. Its probably "been abandoned" given the length of time. Given the high value, the original owner (if he could absolutely prove that it was his; bill of sale, photos of him playing it in the garden etc) could make a case for its recovery and restitution to him, but since he chose to leave it there/forgot about it/was too wasted to notice then or since he'd probably have to compensate the current owner of the house to a fair extent.

EDIT:
I looked it up in my notes, I was right in my initial thoughts

Edited by Geek99

I have another.

One night I was playing in a pub and then was off to a club with a bird. The guitarist asked if i could let them have a shot of my bass. Nothing special, just a Bass Collection SB405. Left it with them and went to said club.

Only found out a few years later that the bass player with Snow Patrol had been the one using my bass which would've been interesting since he's left handed and I'm not.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Prosebass' post='246388' date='Jul 23 2008, 08:23 PM']Just got a FAL on ebay with apparently Hawkwind connections , Anyone know Lemmy so I can ask him ? :huh:[/quote]

I've got a FAL Super 100 Head (currently selling on Ebay) that used to belong to 'Whiskymac'. Apparently they won New Faces Talent show back in 1977!
[url="http://www.rollbacktheyears.co.uk/whiskymac.htm"]http://www.rollbacktheyears.co.uk/whiskymac.htm[/url]
:)

[quote name='nick' post='279178' date='Sep 7 2008, 03:55 PM']I've got a FAL Super 100 Head (currently selling on Ebay) that used to belong to 'Whiskymac'. Apparently they won New Faces Talent show back in 1977!
[url="http://www.rollbacktheyears.co.uk/whiskymac.htm"]http://www.rollbacktheyears.co.uk/whiskymac.htm[/url]
:)[/quote]

Great site, thanks. :huh:

The case my T-40 came in has got a guest pass from a Paul McCartney world tour stuck on the side! Never managed to find out who it belonged to though.

And I don't know if this counts, but I lent Norman Watt-Roy my Ampeg when I opened for Wilko Johnson. He said he'd never really used much Ampeg before, and that he loved the sound of mine and might get one!!!

[quote name='paulbuzz' post='246215' date='Jul 23 2008, 04:12 PM']In about 1986, I humped gear for a Level 42 gig. At the end of the night, as we were packing and loading PA, Mark King's guitar tech was restringing EVERY ONE of the dozen or so basses that he had on the tour. Apparently he did this EVERY NIGHT, whether the basses had been played or not. The "old" strings were simply discarded on the floor of the hall.

Me and the other bass players on the humping crew gathered them up and split them between us. I got about four sets that were essentially brand new. Since I had no money to buy new strings, these ones kept me going for a good couple of years... :)

Nobody ever said that his strings made me sound like him though. :huh: (Just as well, since they were one of my least favourite bands ever...)

The strings budget for their tours must have been unbelievable...[/quote]
In recent times the strings that have come off, have been sold to fans and the money goes to charity at the end of the tour.

Yesterday I drove to the south of Belgium to pick up a fretless Status bass which I had bought on ebay..
I arrived at a beautiful house in a valley and I was welcomed by the seller..
He showed me the Status S2 which I had bought and I asked him why he was selling it..
He said that he had bought it but had never used it since he had another bass which he loved and mainly used..
He opened a case and showed me a fretless '63 Fender Jazz...beautiful.
He asked me if I wanted to try it and I was very eager off course..
While he handed it over he asked me if I knew who had played this bass...
I didn't know and then he told me that Jaco Pastorius had played it when he came to Brussels for a concert in 1985... The seller himself had bought it for 520 Euros...
I was struck by the karma of the instrument and felt really honoured to play this instrument for a while..
I have to admit that it actually didn't sound too good because of the terrible amp the seller had ànd the strings which were too thin to give a good sustain and tone.
But it made my day ànd my week and my month...