Why become a member? ×

Celebrity Gear - once used by the famous

Born 2B Mild

[quote name='Hellrazor' post='235633' date='Jul 9 2008, 12:20 PM']I lent a bass to Danny McCormack from the Wildhearts once.
Does that count...?[/quote]

I hate having the same name as another famous bass player! You wouldn't believe how confusing it gets :)

The trace elliot mp11 i had used to belong to Pink Floyd.....i had a Wal that was originally built for the guitarist from genesis(steve hackett)....gary barlow from take that gave me his adat and brc(now in the cupboard!)....there was another really s.band that owned a bass i had but i can't remember who they were now ... :)

Edited by walplayer

A Gibson Les Paul Standard bass "owned" by Neil Murray. Well, owned in the sense that he signed it for the "Gibson's Night of 100 Guitars" concert, and it was first prize in a competition, along with a fitted case and a whole bundle of Gibson candy, and a pair of VIP tickets to the concert at Wembley. There's a nice PR snapshot from the day - which will never, ever see the light of day again, as I'm wearing a mullet.

I swapped it - there's no maker whose basses have worse balance than Gibson, in my opinion - for a new Yamaha TRB6P. A pretty good deal, I think.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well.
I own a few bits which have famous connections...

A 1 unit rack fan which belonged to Mark King. (The MK stuff is like tits on pigs, there's that much of it!) also I don't think it was altogether responsible for his destinctive sound tbh. :)
I also own 2 x A.S.S. built, Ashdown folded horns. One was part of John Entwistles rig, the other belonged to U2's Adam Clayton. Though I have no absolute proof for either.
I bought 23k of powersoft amps, which were part of a hire rig used by ... shhh Robbie Williams. Maybe thats why it was for sale? (unclean unclean!)
An Amp rack bought of a Basschatter (who's has been on telly himself recently) sprayed with the monika "Cocteau Twins" ...I know I know, but you asked.
And finally: I won a quiz at a drum clinic YEARS ago, and the prize was a set of drum sticks used by Cozy Powell that night. But I gave then to our drummer who just used them...

Nothing quite so cool as Phil Lynotts bass. (Well, ...maybe the Entwistle cab, but then I'm not a big fan myself, so it's just another cab to me.. Plus a bass is an extension of the person, and a cab is just a box that makes a sound.)

Edited by GremlinAndy

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' post='284490' date='Sep 15 2008, 07:07 PM']I heard that Stevie Wonder got given a cheese grater for his birthday ...he said it was the most violent book he has ever read.

(gets my non PC fur coat)[/quote]

My sister went to see Stevie Wonder at the O2 last month. She was explaining to her 10 yr old daughter that he's a legendary
singer and pianist and he's actually blind.

Her daughter, in all innocence, asked "is that why he's called Stevie Wonder, coz he wonders where he is?"

Kids!!! :)

I own a bass played by John Entwistle at a few gigs, got the pics as well. Although, the neck was really bowed so I sold it. Get this, I sold a 1965 Fender Jazz Bass neck played by John Entwistle for £150. Great days!

Had a few other Celeb bits, but this is the best, and worst really.

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' post='178863' date='Apr 17 2008, 01:21 PM']I have long been an admirer of the fretless bass playing of [b]Richard Sinclair[/b], since his Caravan days, and most especially with Hatfield And The North. He also sang in a kind of fretless style too! [i]Very Canterbury[/i].

He then joined Camel. He always seemed to use the same natural bodied Jazz Bass. Try finding him pictured with a different one! I wanted to know more about it, as I was after a fretless and fancied getting something like it. Three years a go, I emailed his website and to cut a long story short, I ended up buying his early 80s Fender fretless JB (photo below) that he had bought in Japan whilst on tour. Better still, I met him in London to collect it and got to try out his original which turned out to consist of an ash body made by his dad!

It is a bit beaten up, but is a much better instrument since [url="http://www.guitarrepairman.co.uk/"]Jim Fleeting[/url] gave it a seeing to. I’ve now added a J-Retro.[/quote]
Ah, big Camel fan here, although I prefer them before Richard joined...

The story went that my 4001CS used to belong to a certain member of Anthrax, but I don't know how true it is. My first Warwick Dolphin was bought by the guy from Hundred Reasons. Better than either, I used to have Joey DeMaio's pick. I've never been the same since I lost it. Maybe it was the true Pick of Destiny. :)

[quote name='4000' post='333504' date='Nov 20 2008, 10:47 PM']Ah, big Camel fan here, although I prefer them before Richard joined...

The story went that my 4001CS used to belong to a certain member of Anthrax, but I don't know how true it is. My first Warwick Dolphin was bought by the guy from Hundred Reasons. Better than either, I used to have Joey DeMaio's pick. I've never been the same since I lost it. Maybe it was the true Pick of Destiny. :huh:[/quote]

On their site they have Manowar condoms called Warriors Shield :)

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='333506' date='Nov 20 2008, 10:49 PM']On their site they have Manowar condoms called Warriors Shield :huh:[/quote]

I know; and people think they havent got a sense of humour. :) I've met Joey a couple of times actually and he's a really nice bloke.

[quote name='4000' post='333504' date='Nov 20 2008, 10:47 PM']Better than either, I used to have Joey DeMaio's pick. I've never been the same since I lost it. Maybe it was the true Pick of Destiny. :)[/quote]
No no no, everybody knows that Scott Ian's pick he gave me at the 100 Club in 1987 was the one. It was hand crafted on the thighs of Betelgeusian virgins from a single Higgs boson. I wonder which of the many sofas I have lounged upon has it now.