Why become a member? ×

Bad bassist??

Townes1992

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1331432393' post='1572837']
I don't buy the whole 'lock with the bass drum' thing. Instead lock in
with the whole kit.
[/quote]

+1; locking in with the bass drum (exclusively) is like locking in with the 4th fret of the 'A'string on the guitar...

You have nothing to lock into? Don't just rely on the bass drum,listen to other parts of the kit...the hi hat or ride
cymbal is a good choice,as is the snare. I don't buy the whole 'lock with the bass drum' thing. Instead lock in
with the whole kit.
[/quote]

+1

I was trying to explain this in another thread recently, albeit without drums.
There's always 'something' there to lock onto, you just need to be aware that some things work better than others when it comes to maintaining the overall 'feel' of the tune.

Well for a while my practicing was pretty stagnant, i wasn't pushing myself like i should have been, learning repetitive riffs over and over. But as of late I've been focusing mainly on slapping and the three finger plucking technique. I really do enjoy practicing these, my issues arise when it comes to learning songs, I can listen for hours to a certain bass style, whether it be Jaco or Flea or whoever and can sometimes replicate a similar sound or run of notes without having to learn the actual song. It seems that once i listen long enough to something i need to exert it somehow and it just comes out from my fingers haha! But sitting and learning a whole bassline by an artists who's been replicated over and over is a difficult for me :/

Edited by Townes1992

ok, don't learn the lines then,.... that in itself is not a problem, but you have to know enough about what the song is doing to be able to offer up your own lines so depending how
good your knowledge is or your natural ear and improvisation is, will make this an easy or really tough task.

What sets the tone for how I appproach a track is the feel of the song or a particular riff, groove or part...that points me in the direction I will take with my style of playing.
So basically, I want to know the chord patterns and song format and the rest is for me to embellish or not as I see fit.

It may well be that you haven't recognised what fits your style or ear so much yet..and you are slavishly following other parts.
You need to work from an inspiration, IMO, otherwise you are cloning parts which can be as much fun as piles...????

Anyway, you may approach or work differently, but if nothing else, your practice regime should be about being as clean as possible. this is never a wasted skill-set.
If you are struggling beyone this, then book a lesson or two off an inspirational player/teacher.

You have nothing to lock into? Don't just rely on the bass drum,listen to other parts of the kit...the hi hat or ride
cymbal is a good choice,as is the snare. I don't buy the whole 'lock with the bass drum' thing. Instead lock in
with the whole kit.
[/quote]
Yes, that's a fair point and I know what you mean (I think). I may not be explaining myself very well. Perhaps the problem is that the drummer is following me rather than being in the driving seat? I've not experienced this before and it doesn't feel comfortable.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1331451617' post='1572885']
+1

I was trying to explain this in another thread recently, albeit without drums.
There's always 'something' there to lock onto, you just need to be aware that some things work better than others when it comes to maintaining the overall 'feel' of the tune.
[/quote]

I sometimes find that the thing to lock onto is not even audible, it's the FEELING of pace and rhythm that the ensemble generates. When all the musicians feel it, it's the sound of unity. Nothing and everything is creating the pace and rhythm. It just flows. It's like leaves falling off trees and landing on the ground at the same time. Lovely when it happens.

However an inexperienced musician probably needs something audible to lock onto. Gawd knows why so many bassists seem to think it's the kick drum though. It's really so far off beam, and I think it really shows how limited these bassists believe their compositional role is.

Edited by silddx

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1331465696' post='1573091']
Yes, that's a fair point and I know what you mean (I think). I may not be explaining myself very well. Perhaps the problem is that the drummer is following me rather than being in the driving seat? I've not experienced this before and it doesn't feel comfortable.
[/quote]
Mate, is there a reason you think that a drummer sets the pace?

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1331465696' post='1573091']
[/quote]

Sometimes its nice to be in control of where things are going :)

[quote name='Townes1992' timestamp='1331461591' post='1572996']
Well for a while my practicing was pretty stagnant, i wasn't pushing myself like i should have been, learning repetitive riffs over and over. But as of late I've been focusing mainly on slapping and the three finger plucking technique. I really do enjoy practicing these, my issues arise when it comes to learning songs, I can listen for hours to a certain bass style, whether it be Jaco or Flea or whoever and can sometimes replicate a similar sound or run of notes without having to learn the actual song. It seems that once i listen long enough to something i need to exert it somehow and it just comes out from my fingers haha! But sitting and learning a whole bassline by an artists who's been replicated over and over is a difficult for me :/
[/quote]
Slapping and three finger stuff is cool,but how about studying some harmony? It really does help you to hear things
on recordings.For example,you mention Flea,and if you know about scales and arpeggios and things it becomes
pretty easy to hear that a lot of his lines are based around minor pentatonics. Likewise,Jaco played quite a lot
of chord tones in his lines and solos.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1331477944' post='1573353']
Gawd knows why so many bassists seem to think it's the kick drum though. It's really so far off beam, and I think it really shows how limited these bassists believe their compositional role is.
[/quote]

Because lots of (particularly) rock players say in interviews that the bass should be 'married' to the bass drum....I'm
looking at you Billy Sheehan :P Consequently,a lot of people think that if the bass drum is playing a dotted quaver-
quaver-minim pattern then the bass has to play the same....it doesn't.

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1331478709' post='1573371']
Because lots of (particularly) rock players say in interviews that the bass should be 'married' to the bass drum....I'm
looking at you Billy Sheehan :P Consequently,a lot of people think that if the bass drum is playing a dotted quaver-
[/quote]

Maybe that's why so much rock music is so bloody dull.

[quote name='Townes1992' timestamp='1331389090' post='1572215']
Hey guys this is quite simple & straight-forward really, ever get the feeling you're a terrible musician haha?
For the 4 years i have been playing bass, i do get the feeling I am just not as good as i should be. Despite the practicing of new techniques etc, I have little confidence in myself when it comes how good i believe myself to be, whether its a lack of versatility or crispness. I was just wondering, does anybody else get this same feeling? It can be rather demoralising!!

Cheers
[/quote]
Thinking you're terrible and thinking you're not as good as you should be are two different things. FWIW, many great musicians (or anything else for that matter) feel they're not as good as they should be and it's what drives them to improve.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1331391479' post='1572282']
If you can't slap you ain't worth a f*** :D
[/quote]
I am not worth a f**k.Although I don't give a f**k :lol: .
I've got away with playing simple lines for 20 odd years,and as I'm far too lazy to sit down and try to learn my modes I will always be(happily)an average,supportive player!

I know I can play and I know can compose bass lines that will do, but I'm still fighting the urge to fill every possible subdivision of time with a note.

It's also very rarely I can listen back to a recording and go 'yes, that bassline is finished.' I always think of other things I could do instead, or the next time round in the same tune or what have you. Out of interest, how does anyone else know when their bass line is 'done'?

Edited by Jayben

[quote name='Jayben' timestamp='1331484853' post='1573510']
I know I can play and I know can compose bass lines that will do, but I'm still fighting the urge to fill every possible subdivision of time with a note.

It's also very rarely I can listen back to a recording and go 'yes, that bassline is finished.' I always think of other things I could do instead, or the next time round in the same tune or what have you. Out of interest, how does anyone else know when their bass line is 'done'?
[/quote]

Space is also a 'note'. Space is paramount. Space is 'music'. Space is as essential a musical tool as any musical note. Make space your primary consideration. Think of space as oxygen, when it's not there you can't breathe, space helps music breathe. Make space the essence of your musical decisions.

Here's an example of how I use space when I write a bass line. [url="http://soundcloud.com/kit-richardson/you-always-did"]http://soundcloud.co.../you-always-did[/url]

Edited by silddx

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1331485461' post='1573527']
Space is also a 'note'. Space is paramount. Space is 'music'. Space is as essential a musical tool as any musical note. Make space your primary consideration. Think of space as oxygen, when it's not there you can't breathe, space helps music breathe. Make space the essence of your musical decisions.
[/quote]

+1bn. Space is the Place! :D

[quote name='WalMan' timestamp='1331485889' post='1573536']
You needed to be at TM Stevens masterclass @ LBGS last Sunday. Preaching a great deal of the "believe in yourself" mantra. that I know I should pay attention to and not constantly do myself down
[/quote]
There's confidence and CONFIDENCE. I have seen some dreadful bassists with CONFIDENCE.

[quote name='WalMan' timestamp='1331485889' post='1573536']
You needed to be at TM Stevens masterclass @ LBGS last Sunday. Preaching a great deal of the "believe in yourself" mantra. that I know I should pay attention to and not constantly do myself down
[/quote]
I find the confidence thing to be a fine balancing act.
You need to have the confidence that when you get on the bandstand you will nail the gig,but it's also very easy to
become so confident and content that it just becomes arrogance.
I'm really confident in my ability,yet I still feel that there is room for improvement and I approach the gigs,lessons
and other musicians with a sense of humility because you never know when you'll come across something (or
someone) that is currently beyond you-if you come in with a sense of arrogance you will invariable look a twat.

Here's an example of how I use space when I write a bass line. [url="http://soundcloud.com/kit-richardson/you-always-did"]http://soundcloud.co.../you-always-did[/url]
[/quote]

That is an awesome bassline Nige! I love it. I definitely agree that learning when not to play notes is just as important as learning when to play them.

I've been playing for about 10 years now, and it is only really in the last year or so that I've started to see that I'm actually fairly good at what I do (without meaning to sound arrogant :P lol, ofcourse there is plenty of room for improvement). I mean, I'm definitely not a massively technical player; I can't play slap or play at ridiculous speeds, but I'm pretty sure I can write a bassline that compliments a song, and makes it sound more complete. I mostly play in pop-punk bands, so I see my job as holding down the low end and rhythm while the guitar(s) play lead melodies, and every so often adding some cool little fills and runs.

To me, the most important thing is to have fun when playing and practicing, cos if you aren't smiling when you have the bass in your hands, then what's the point :)

Edited by jackers

[quote name='lee4' timestamp='1331482474' post='1573459']
I am not worth a f**k.Although I don't give a f**k :lol: .
I've got away with playing simple lines for 20 odd years,and as I'm far too lazy to sit down and try to learn my modes I will always be(happily)an average,supportive player!
[/quote]

This man is my idol. Indeed, he possibly is me - just in a few years time :)

[/quote]

Nice playing. You're nearly as good as me! :lol:

[quote name='kjb' timestamp='1331389768' post='1572228']
Get some lessons, learn more about music, not just bass, but actually music.....theory, harmony, rhythm etc. If you 'know' something is right, because you've been taught that it is, then that'll improve your self confidence, and your playing.
[/quote]

this

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9idtdWAAEA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9idtdWAAEA[/url]

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1331478709' post='1573371']
[/quote]
Some really bad advice here from a few people who really should know better!

The basics are that you play to the drummer; therefore all good bands tend to have someone behind the kit who has good time & feel - generally the drummer should dictate the pace of a song and assuming that he is playing a backbeat (i.e. rock, funk, etc.) then the bass player should lock onto the bass drum i.e. every bass drum beat should be covered by a note played by the bass

King Billy is, as ever, quite right! But then again, it’s pretty basic stuff…..

Edited by peteb

[quote name='jackers' timestamp='1331486725' post='1573565']
That is an awesome bassline Nige! I love it. I definitely agree that learning when not to play notes is just as important as learning when to play them.

I've been playing for about 10 years now, and it is only really in the last year or so that I've started to see that I'm actually fairly good at what I do (without meaning to sound arrogant :P lol, ofcourse there is plenty of room for improvement). I mean, I'm definitely not a massively technical player; I can't play slap or play at ridiculous speeds, but I'm pretty sure I can write a bassline that compliments a song, and makes it sound more complete. I mostly play in pop-punk bands, so I see my job as holding down the low end and rhythm while the guitar(s) play lead melodies, and every so often adding some cool little fills and runs.

To me, the most important thing is to have fun when playing and practicing, cos if you aren't smiling when you have the bass in your hands, then what's the point :)
[/quote]

Oh thanks mate! It was easy to write, because for so many years, I have made inactivity as important as activity :lol: