Why become a member? ×

Carpet vs Tolex... Fight!

Ghost_Bass

Hi, this is something i've been thinking about for a few weeks, i have an old Trace Elliot Boxer 15 combo and it's carpet is all teared and full of cat hair (courtesy of my cute cat...). I've been thinking about recovering it with tolex so it can be easily cleaned.
The combo has great sound and this situation got me thinking if the carpet covering does anything to the sound. Maybe dumping it or filtering some freqs..?!!

This is just a question for us to discuss a bit, i'm still going ahead with the tolex on the combo because even if it would loose some sound qualities it's just my home prectice amp so i don't need a perfect sound from it.

Comment away!

Well, we're turning this thread in a "what's your favourite" but what about tone? Do you think that there's any significant diference in sound? Will the carpet absorve some vibration of the cab or act as dumping material? Do BC cab builders take the cabs finish in consideration when designing them?

We're always talking about how a bone nut adds more tho the bass sound or how a high-mass bridge adds sustain, people even talk about differences in tone between nitro or cellulose finish, so i guess it's safe to assume that the cab covering could have some part on it's sound.

Cheers

My first Trace cabs were Tolex and marked (even tore) just by sneezing at them. Within a year of owning them they looked battered. The 1215 combo had the carpet covering and picked up every sweaty smell from every gig it attended, not including the fact it was a cat and dog hair magnet and a great accumilator of Rich Tea biscuit crumbs whilst working in my home studio.

I don't notice any tonal difference between Tolex and carpet covered cabs.

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1330599567' post='1559961']
I can't see it making the slightest bit of difference to tone. The carpet is far too thin and the sound isn't [i]supposed[/i] to come out through it anyway :)
[/quote]

+1
If the covering is affecting the sound to a noticeable degree then the cab is so badly designed that it needs to go into the nearest skip. :)

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1330607178' post='1560214']
+1
If the covering is affecting the sound to a noticeable degree then the cab is so badly designed that it needs to go into the nearest skip. :)
[/quote]
+2
It shouldn't make any difference to the sound

It does make a difference to the weight and how long the cab looks good though.

Personally I like the painted approach being adopted these days, my old carpet SWR is ripped and showing evidence of 20 years worth of touring and needs an expensive/time consuming recover that I just can't be bothered with. Anyone allergic to cats/pollen/dust/tobacco/sweat/blood/tears/etc. better stay away!

Whereas my Barefaced is still immaculate but in a few years it might need a touch up with a paintbrush. :)