Why become a member? ×

5-string basses - how useful is the 5th string? POLL time, yay!

Clarky

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1330371944' post='1556442']
Fair comment John. I appreciate the answers everyone has given but its just I feel I am taking advice from those most inclined to err on the 5 side. If I had set up the poll as "4 or 5 string?" there would undoubtedly have been a much more mixed response with plenty pointing out that the greatest bass lines in history were almost all on 4 stringers.
[/quote]

I wouldn't say get one unless you were hearing the need to change. I can't see the point for points sake.

My interest in them was because of the gig at the time and I was beginning to hear the possibilities if I played low.. so I was mentally working out my bass lines even then..prior to getting one.
Had I known the work it would be for me..I would have thought even harder.

Having made the switch, there is no way back for me, but I am not advocating they are a solution for everyone..far from it...because they certainly aren't, IMO.

I appreciate the answers everyone has given but its just I feel I am taking advice from those most inclined to err on the 5 side.
[/quote]

That's easily remedied - ignore them & just listen to me. :)

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1330328877' post='1555620']
...On a four you've got a bit of a shift to go from C on the E string down to G on the E string, but on a fiver it's all in one position ...
[/quote]
So, on a four-string, if you're up at C on the E string and next want the G use the open E as a passing note. Or why not use the C on the A string?

Fair comment John. I appreciate the answers everyone has given but its just I feel I am taking advice from those most inclined to err on the 5 side. If I had set up the poll as "4 or 5 string?" there would undoubtedly have been a much more mixed response with plenty pointing out that the greatest bass lines in history were almost all on 4 stringers.
[/quote]
Maybe I'm going to the wrong gigs but it seems to me the great majority of bassists are still using four strings. It's the same in an instrument shop, the great majority of basses are four strings.

Thing is, I am more comfortable with 4 strings and have not been in a band since 2007 (a metal band ) that required 5 strings. I have a fantastic 5 string but am not playing it as I just naturally pick up my 4s.Still wondering though if this is just taking the easy route snd I should invest my time re-learning the 5 stringer. Hence my OP

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1330385382' post='1556776']
Thing is, I am more comfortable with 4 strings and have not been in a band since 2007 (a metal band ) that required 5 strings. I have a fantastic 5 string but am not playing it as I just naturally pick up my 4s.Still wondering though if this is just taking the easy route snd I should invest my time re-learning the 5 stringer. Hence my OP
[/quote]

Interestingly i've started really learning my 5 string in depth. Before i just used it as an extra string to give me 4 more notes or make some passages of play easier.

But now i use it like its an essential part of the bass as an instrument. When i go back to 4 string basses i do feel something is really missing and i try to play passages that don't work without the low B.

I can understand some people preferring their 4 and wanting to stick with that format but I have to say I'm struggling to understand why some people think it's harder to play a 5. :blink:

When all's said and done, it's just an extra string.
True, you need to control it or you'll get the floppy/farty problem that I see complained about on here at least once a week and you need to be a bit more precise with your fretting and playing hands but that's got to be a good thing surely?

Like most instruments, you're only going to get out of it what you put in.

Playing devils advocate here but why do so many of the world's great living bass players stick with 4 string when they clearly technically capable enough to play 5 strimgs? Just look at the polls and cast your eyes down the list - Flea, King, Wooten, Miller, Weekes, Squire, Burnel, Butler, John Paul Jones and so on. Is it just familiarity, comfort, even laziness? Surely if its a no-brainer to move to 5 they would do so? I know there are examples of great bass players who have made the leap (eg Percy Jones) but they seem to be in the minority.

Well in my opinion if you've already got a five-string I'd say it's worth having another go at - even if you don't use the extended range that much I'd rather have it there than not, so that if you're playing along and you hear the need for a big low note... ;)

Re the whole C to G thing - I think what he was getting at was the ability to play more in the extended range of one position - handy for doing big runs to a low note and such. I like my little runs so having low notes always accessible on either the E or B string is really useful unless I wanted to slide everywhere. :P And the trouble with using an E as passing note is that it isn't always going to be appropriate for the music :)

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1330396115' post='1556871']
Playing devils advocate here but why do so many of the world's great living bass players stick with 4 string when they clearly technically capable enough to play 5 strimgs? Just look at the polls and cast your eyes down the list - Flea, King, Wooten, Miller, Weekes, Squire, Burnel, Butler, John Paul Jones and so on. Is it just familiarity, comfort, even laziness? Surely if its a no-brainer to move to 5 they would do so? I know there are examples of great bass players who have made the leap (eg Percy Jones) but they seem to be in the minority.
[/quote]

Who?
That just sounds like a list of dog food manufacturers to me... ;)

4's have been around a lot longer than 5's and it's what they've all grown up with and learnt on.
Their basslines were written on 4's and, if it was manageable on a 4, they probably see no need to go for a 5.

I guess that if they've always written basslines that work using a 4 then they've not found a need for a 5.

I love my 5 string bass guitars.
I feel that a 5 string bass is really useful. I play i a modern church worship band, most of the new christian songs feature a 5 string bass line.

For sure you can play them on a 4 string bass but the extral low B string brings in a new dynamic of frequencies that really work in a church worship setting.

I own 4,5 & 6 string bass guitars by my "go to" bass guitars are both 5 strings.

[quote name='Chris Horton' timestamp='1330419042' post='1556963']
I play i a modern church worship band, most of the new christian songs feature a 5 string bass line.
[/quote]

+1

I would be lost without a 5 at church for the same reason. When I play in my soul band the low B hardly gets touched, so I will more than often use a 4. It's all about cutting the fat and use the appropriate gear for the appropriate application.

I've just been working on a line to a friends song and the chord sequence in the verse is A,F then goes to D,C.

He's provided a backing track for me and as I play the D on the A string it just sounds too sweet. So in the context of the song I'm working on at the moment I could see the need for a 5 string. However, as it's unlikely I'll be joining the band I probably still won't buy one :)

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1330396115' post='1556871']
[/quote]
Interestingly(other than most of your definition of 'great'?),over half of the players you mentioned use five string
(or more) regularly,although it may be not what they're best known for.

I could name you a load of players(who I consider 'great') that use 5 strings often,but very few of them will be in
'classic' rock bands,and I'll probably get slagged off for being a jazz/fusion/session w***er. :P

For originals I switched from using the 5 to 4 strings as I rarely used the low B.
I wouldnt dream of turning up at a function without an extended range bass (just use the 6er nowadays). Someone always sings in an awkward key and I prefer moving across the neck rather than frantic up and down movements.

The B string can be very useful musically. If a singer wants to drop a song a tone or a semitone it's possible to keep the weight of the lower notes in the arrangement. You can play some double stops that would be very tricky on a 4 string.
Before I bought a 5 string I did a lot of detuning on my 4th and discovered that altering it's tension, altered the tone of the other strings.
You can hear this by slackening the 4th string while playing the others.

After almost 30 years of 4 strings, I finally took the plunge 3 years ago and boy do I regret not doing this earlier!!!
I like many played around with tunings etc for specific situations, however the versatility of a 5'er is incredible once you get used to it.....voted Essential!
N/B '93 Precision Lyte (As New!)
'86 Wilkes Percussive Fretless now both surplus to requirements (only four strings!) pm if interested?