Why become a member? ×

Blur

Pete Academy

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1329911167' post='1549446']
I don't really see what everyone is bitching about. I guess that makes me wrong.
[/quote]

Basically it's that Blur are sh*t because Alex James will never be the new Victor Wooten.

I can't imagine many teenage girls have had posters of Victor Wooten on their bedroom walls, so I doubt Alex James gives all that much of a sh*t really.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1329911449' post='1549454']
Basically it's that Blur are sh*t because Alex James will never be the new Victor Wooten.

I can't imagine many teenage girls have had posters of Victor Wooten on their bedroom walls, so I doubt Alex James gives all that much of a sh*t really.
[/quote]

Thats what you got from the last 3 pages..............Jaysus :blink:
I would have said people were bitching about a sh*tty performance by 3 guys who werent bothered.

It was by no way a technically good performance, but to me, it was a really good live performance - chaotic, raucous noise (tho the singing could have been sung, rather than shouted)scruffy guys who looked like they were in a band, and not on a fashion runway.

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1329907318' post='1549322']
Are you honestly going to try and claim that 24 million album sales and two decades in the musical public consciousness that Blur haven't made a significant change to British popular music? You might not like them, but for once I'm happy to go along with the Brit awards on this one. It's irrefutable.
[/quote]

I'm pretty ambivalent about them tbh, they just never came across to me as a band with anything like the influence I'd associate with an 'outstanding contribution' award that's all. Probably just in a genre that I'd not bother with much so don't hear the subsequent bands who'd cite them as an influence I expect.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1329912520' post='1549487']
I'm pretty ambivalent about them tbh, they just never came across to me as a band with anything like the influence I'd associate with an 'outstanding contribution' award that's all. Probably just in a genre that I'd not bother with much so don't hear the subsequent bands who'd cite them as an influence I expect.
[/quote]

Fair enough. I think the point about all of this is that the 'Outstanding Contribution' thing means nothing. They don't need a panel of people to give them a little statuette or a big awards ceremony to know that their influence has been great. The reason I see it as vaguely significant is that for every band like Blur, there's 10 Nicky Minaj's nowadays. But that's the BRITS for you. If you want PJ Harvey or Bon Iver to win every prize at a ceremony, then it's probably best to stick to the Mercury awards. Luckily I don't pay much attention to either.

[quote name='Mog' timestamp='1329909766' post='1549377']
I find him bog standard to be honest.Then again so were his 'peers'. I mean, Matt Osman, Steve Mackey, Paul McGuigan, Annie Holland, Mick Quinn............
None of them spring to mind as outstanding bassists. I'd stick them all in the Adam Clayton/Michael Anthony pile.
[/quote]
[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1329909878' post='1549385']
That's the pile marked 'Drifted into it by accident/No-one else wanted to play bass'. :lol:
[/quote]

I'm happy for you too stick Osman et al in the bog-standard box but I disagree about James. The lines he wrote for “She’s so High”, “Bang”, plus the intro motif for “There’s No Other Way” and “Tracey Jacks”; these are all very well thought out lines. Not Clayton style root note run-of-the-mill at all. James was playing bass well before Blur too, so that drifted-into-it-by-accident notion is cobblers too.

Don't see why people hate Damon so much, he's one of my biggest influences in music.. amazing
voice, very good piano/melodica player, incredibly good/innovative songwriter, etc. I haven't heard
much of Blur's music, but in the Gorillaz he really shines.

..well of course he's not Adele or anything, but emotion is what counts in music..

Edited by lxxwj

[quote name='hairyhaw' timestamp='1329913397' post='1549511']
I'm happy for you too stick Osman et al in the bog-standard box but I disagree about James. The lines he wrote for “She’s so High”, “Bang”, plus the intro motif for “There’s No Other Way” and “Tracey Jacks”; these are all very well thought out lines. Not Clayton style root note run-of-the-mill at all. [/quote]

plus the one (esp 'tracy jacks')

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1329902760' post='1549203']
Since when were awards ceremonies about music. I thought it was just about patting each others backs, fake surprises and pretend tears.
[/quote]

From my PoV as a member of the TV audience and not actually at the event, I don't really care about the acceptance speeches. For me they are just a waste of TV time that could better be spent on showing some music.

Actually thinking about it some more a condition of winning should be that you are prepared to perform one of your songs there and then at the awards. So if you win you pop up on stage to collect your award with the minimum of fuss and then you show us why you are deserving of that award.

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1329913232' post='1549507']
Fair enough. I think the point about all of this is that the 'Outstanding Contribution' thing means nothing. [/quote]

This was at the back of my mind in my original post but probably didn't put it across very well. By habitually including such awards at events it inevitably devalues them which shouldn't be the case - an outstanding contribution should be just that. It's like 'lifetime achievement award' has got to the point in some cases that it just means 'you're still alive then?'. If there are no clear candidates just drop it until an artist more universally acknowledged comes to the fore. You might only give one out every ten years but it will be meaningful. I happily admit to hardly ever watching awards shows even in genres that I have an interest in such as music or film.

I'm happy for you too stick Osman et al in the bog-standard box but I disagree about James. The lines he wrote for “She’s so High”, “Bang”, plus the intro motif for “There’s No Other Way” and “Tracey Jacks”; these are all very well thought out lines. Not Clayton style root note run-of-the-mill at all. James was playing bass well before Blur too, so that drifted-into-it-by-accident notion is cobblers too.
[/quote]

Aye fine examples. But, its not like they were commonplace on the majority of the tunes and despite being well thought out basslines they really aint remarkable. Shes so high is a great example. Well structured etc. However, everytime I hear it I just think Stone Roses, ie. classic Brit Pop.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1329904725' post='1549262']
Did anyone actually find out what their outstanding contribution to music is in the end or not then?
[/quote]

"Outstanding Contribution to Music" normally means that you were quite good some time in the past, but since you haven't done anything interesting recently, now that you've won this award you should f*** off and die to make way for someone who is still hungry to entertain and produce some better songs.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1329914938' post='1549547']
Actually thinking about it some more a condition of winning should be that you are prepared to perform one of your songs there and then at the awards. So if you win you pop up on stage to collect your award with the minimum of fuss and then you show us why you are deserving of that award.
[/quote]

I'm not sure I agree with this. Would you prefer someone accepting an acting Oscar to then be obliged to re-enact some part from the film they've just got the award for?

[/quote]
thank you, my thoughts too... :)

[quote name='Mog' timestamp='1329909766' post='1549377']
I find him bog standard to be honest.Then again so were his 'peers'. I mean, Matt Osman, Steve Mackey, Paul McGuigan, Annie Holland,[b] Mick Quinn.[/b]...........
None of them spring to mind as outstanding bassists. I'd stick them all in the Adam Clayton/Michael Anthony pile.
[/quote]

:o I think Mick Quinn is a really amazing bass player. Different strokes I guess, but Supergrass and Blur always had great basslines imo.

It wasn't the best performance to be fair, but I think it improved as it went on. I was saying to my ladyfriend when 'Song 2' was on, that I only really like the album version....I've never heard a live performance of it that I thought was any good.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1329911449' post='1549454']
[/quote]

I can't imagine them giggling over how [i]fit [/i]Victor Wooten is, to be honest. He's unlikely to make the next issue of [i]Heat[/i], either.