Why become a member? ×

Blur

Pete Academy

[quote name='kerley' timestamp='1330001001' post='1551091']
Guess you would have to track back to when miming to songs on TV became the norm. 1980s?, it certainly wasn't that recently anyway...
[/quote]Bands and singers have mimed since the first days of TV. That wasn't really my point. It was more that it seems to quite common these days to hear 'At least they were playing live' as if this is the exception and for that fact alone the band should be applauded. I even occasionally find myself saying it... followed by a little sigh :unsure:
Since dlloyd posted the Hendrix clip, I'll say, there is quite a difference between doing a TV show such as TOTP and a 'live' event such as The Brits. We often see artists at these 'live' events miming, so I guess in that regard Blur should be applauded. In any case. Whether you dig them or not, scrappy or not, and even though they are now old farts, they're a rock'n'roll/pop band keeping the spirit of rock'n'roll alive. Good for them. :)

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1330005511' post='1551260']
Bands and singers have mimed since the first days of TV. That wasn't really my point. It was more that it seems to quite common these days to hear 'At least they were playing live' as if this is the exception and for that fact alone the band should be applauded.[/quote]

That has also been common for a long time. I remember that very point being made regularly in the 80s.

It's fair to say that it was a dreadful performance, but then can anyone remember blur ever being that good live anyway? Albarn's voice was always dreadful live and although generally speaking they may have been tighter in the past, they were always more of a recording band than a live band.

Not that it matters but my view is that Blur were very sloppy but energetic and I enjoyed it as a rock n roll performance. It was never chamber music and some people seem to have been expecting note-perfect clinical perfection. jeez you should have head my old punk band live, we made Blur look like Peter, Paul & Mary

[quote name='Mog' timestamp='1329915059' post='1549554']

Aye fine examples. But, its not like they were commonplace on the majority of the tunes and despite being well thought out basslines they really aint remarkable. Shes so high is a great example. Well structured etc. However, everytime I hear it I just think Stone Roses, ie. classic Brit Pop.
[/quote]

The Stone Roses weren't really Brit Pop though were they?

How much is people's perception of a genuine, live, energetic rock performance coloured by years of media saturation of miming to pre-recorded, studio quality tracks? I don't have too much of a problem with Blur's performance there. They were a great band in their day and I enjoyed every Blur gig I ever went to. They're giving it a bit of energy there, they're putting on a show, it's a bit much to be expecting a studio quality performance, especially vocally when your lungs have to push the words out as well as throw shapes. Perhaps they were overdoing it a little considering they were trying to energise an audience of biz types sitting at their dinner tables? Put that performance into a sweaty club filled to the brim with people who aren't scared to crumple their tuxedos and it might make a little more sense.

[quote name='Doctor J' timestamp='1330184374' post='1553865']
How much is people's perception of a genuine, live, energetic rock performance coloured by years of media saturation of miming to pre-recorded, studio quality tracks?
[/quote]

i'd say this is definately a factor when rating a 'proper' band's live performance.