Why become a member? ×

Contempt for your audience.

arthurhenry

[quote name='arthurhenry' timestamp='1329767790' post='1547075']
Do you ever look out at your audience and think "you pathetic bunch of idiots; dancing (!), singing along (!!) and generally having a good time (!!!) to Brown eyed girl, Walking on sunshine, Sex on fire etc, etc.
[/quote]

More to the point, does your audience look at your band and think "you pathetic bunch of sad losers pretending to be rock stars but the only gigs you can get are sh*tty ones like this etc, etc.

Just sayin' ;)

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1329775661' post='1547286']
More to the point, does your audience look at your band and think "you pathetic bunch of sad losers pretending to be rock stars but the only gigs you can get are sh*tty ones like this etc, etc.

Just sayin' ;)
[/quote]

Quite!

Camel are one of my favourite bands. It isn't just low-grade gig audiences I despise for not liking Camel it's nearly everyone who doesn't like Camel, but most of the time I manage not to let it show.

There are a lot of liars in this thread!! Ha ha, I often think "you horrible, horrible people" after nailing a quality tune to a few golf claps then having the pub torn apart to the black eyed peas! It doesn't mean I don't appriciate the response .. and I still always have a great time ... I just think you are lying to yourself if a bit of you doesn't hate them deep down! :op

Edited by Dave Tipping

No in answer to the OP. We have good nights and bad nights like any band. For example, Saturday evening I did a gig for a lady who had more money than sense, and zero manners. Her 55 friends were of a similar ilk. The gig was a bit of a nightmare. We largely played acoustically like we'd been asked, which was fine but the bar staff at the place we were playing were on our backs about keeping the level right down (to an impossible level, me with no amp playing through our JBL monitors at such a low level the acoustic guitars were masking what I was doing). A lot of people taking cocaine in the toilets as well, acting like total knobs. One bloke took it upon himself to reach over and detune my G string (I actually could have killed him for that, what gives people the right to touch my stuff?).

But you learn to deal with it. You try and find the audience members who are genuinely enjoying what you are doing, of which there's at least a few, and then 'vibe' off of them to get your satisfaction out of what you do. Saturday night was a rare occurrence for us though, and it's usually a lot of great people that we play for!

Edited by risingson

[quote name='Dave Tipping' timestamp='1329776979' post='1547321']
There are a lot of liars in this thread!! Ha ha, I often think "you horrible, horrible people" after nailing a quality tune to a few golf claps then having the pub torn apart to the black eyed peas! It doesn't mean I don't appriciate the response .. and I still always have a great time ... I just think you are lying to yourself if a bit of you doesn't hate them deep down! :op
[/quote]
You're merely making excuses to yourself for your own feelings by projecting those feelings on to the rest of us.

Do you ever look out at your audience and think "you pathetic bunch of idiots; dancing (!), singing along (!!) and generally having a good time (!!!) to Brown eyed girl, Walking on sunshine, Sex on fire etc, etc. It's almost as though you've never even heard of Camel or King Crimson! Losers!"

Just sayin' like.....

Edit: This comment may contain exaggeration and humour.
[/quote]

There is a little bit of me that gets frustrated when we are choosing songs for the band. We rule out certain ones that we'd love to play but think wouldn't go down so well with the audience for the gigs that we have booked. Thats the compromise but remembering that i am generally well paid to do something that i really like doing and being able to stare at jugs without suspicion more than compensates for any negativity.

I think it also helps having other projects going too because the covers band isn't the only outlet for music.

sure... why would I want to play songs I can't stand?

If we are entertaining in any way, then they may end up hearing a bunch of new songs
from artists we are turning them onto.

So, basically, I am doing the gig for me and hopefully we all get something out of it

[quote name='Gareth Hughes' timestamp='1329771437' post='1547170']
Yes. Many many times, and pretty much all of those times it was wedding gigs. And it near killed me until one night I looked around the room at all these people having the time of their lives, and the other guys in the band were having a great night and it finally hit me that I was the only miserable c**t in the room. I figured I could choose to be happy or choose to be miserable. Happiness won.

Having said that, a few years later I did quit a wedding band because I must have spent at least the first three songs staring at the back on the singers head and saying 'You're a c**t, you're a c**t' repeatedly. The world has a way of telling you things I believe.
[/quote]

?????!!!!! if your audience are ignorant/abusive, then there is a case to feel aggrieved.

But when they are having fun, why would you think such things?

Get out of the live music scene if that's your train of thought!

[quote name='Dave Tipping' timestamp='1329776979' post='1547321']
I often think "you horrible, horrible people" after nailing a quality tune to a few golf claps then having the pub torn apart to the black eyed peas!
[/quote]
You probably need to adjust your set, or maybe you're not nailing the song as well as you think.

In the context of this thread (covers band, wedding receptions etc)...
...If a song is not going down well, it's a foolish musician that blames the audience.[quote name='Dave Tipping' timestamp='1329776979' post='1547321']
I just think you are lying to yourself if a bit of you doesn't hate them deep down! :op
[/quote] eh? :huh:

... oh and going back to the "context of this thread" .. "[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] may contain exaggeration and humour." .. geez some of you boys need to lighten up! [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] :blink: I don't actually hate the audience ... just their taste in music! sometimes .. not EVERY gig .. just the odd gig maybe once a month? Usually in a night club where we play a very different set from our usual pub circuit.[/font][/color]

I dont play in a straight covers band anymore. But back when I used to, yep, I hated em all usually, and found it hard to hide. I found people who expected me to smile especially irritating.

The odd punch up or drunk nutter at least made it interesting, and theyre the ones I remember best. I wouldnt go so far as to say I wouldnt do it again ( probably too old now ) or that I didnt ever enjoy it. But I would only do it if the money was very good, which tbh in my case at least, it never really was after the usual overheads.

Well as a person that works in a live music pub, I'd have to say yes! Only for practical reasons though! :yarr:

But, as a musician who plays covers in pubs and clubs aswell, I'd have to say no. I mean, you're never going to like every person ever, but as a person who is on stage/in the corner and performing for these guys, we should be grateful for the opportunity and most of the time I feed off people who react positively to the show!

The only people I ever have any sort of disdain for are boorish bores!

Truckstop

I can see how pro musicians or those who are locked into a semi- pro band for financial reasons might hate their customers sometimes.

In our day jobs, whatever they may be, who has not felt the urge to choke the sh*t out of some annoying numpty punter at some point. I know I have. And if - as is the case with bands - the product you are selling is yourself, then a tepid reaction must be particularly galling.

But to slag off an audience for doing what most of us would [i]hope[/i] they would do seems a little strange. This weird logic may be explained by an underlying sentiment along the lines of "I'm better than these tasteless bastards, me".

Well, that may be true, but that's the gig one is lumped with, and if one can't get a better one, then that's as good as one is going to be for the foreseeable future. Best to resign oneself - regret is a cruel mistress, y'know.

[color=#ffffff].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

and...I have seen some woeful bands round here pull in great numbers of people.....but you can't tell me the people who like them know anything about music when they accept such stuff...
The only thing that some of these bands do in common with the tune they are trying toplay is get the chorus sort of right...ball park.
It is quite funny in a weird way...!! but music it isn't...or not of the kind that most would/should know it :lol; :lol;

Not for enjoying themselves (that's a little cynical even for me) but I used to be in a weird instrumental band, there were no other bands like us around so we never fit in on any bills, so no one really got what we were doing. Plus most of the time the audiences were mostly the other bands and their friends After a while we stopped trying to get people to like us and we got quite dour. We usually ended with the traditional "We are Tangent, and you are a f***ing terrible audience. Good night."

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1329790487' post='1547538']
you can't tell me the people who like them know anything about music when they accept such stuff...[/quote]

Troo dat. They will almost certainly not know the difference between 4/4 and 6/8 time, nor will they be familiar with the circle of fifths. The mention of Jaco Pastorious will invite a nervous giggle and a comment on the lines of " 'Oo's 'e, then? Your Dad?".

No-one should be allowed into a gig unless they can produce accreditation from a recognised school of music. Uneducated louts walk up and give us money and enjoy themselves. Do they worship our musicianship? No. They just "Want a good time", the pathetic losers.

They're scum and I want to shoot them in the face.

The band I refer to...pulled in the biggest crowd in our local pub all year, over xmas.
But I kid you not, they are truly terrible. They call themselves a function band, but words fall me there.

It may well have been a night that only this pub put on music btween xmas eve and NYE and that the pub got it right and everywhere else got it wrong...but it was incredible.

It still makes me laugh now....

Do you ever look out at your audience and think "you pathetic bunch of idiots; dancing (!), singing along (!!) and generally having a good time (!!!) to Brown eyed girl, Walking on sunshine, Sex on fire etc, etc. It's almost as though you've never even heard of Camel or King Crimson! Losers!"

Just sayin' like.....

Edit: This comment may contain exaggeration and humour.
[/quote]

Notwithstanding the exaggeration and humour in the above - my answer to the OP is an emphatic NO.

Music is an individual thing and what floats my boat might not work for others - and vice-versa.

The only time I get narked with the punters is when they invite themselves onto the stage. Partly because it's a distraction, but mostly for their safety. They can do whatever they like off the stage...dance, sing, fight each other...whatever makes them enjoy the evening.

We had a bloke strip infront last year whilst playing a Curtis Mayfeild song. We saw a white shoe fly over our heads and when we looked down to the dance floor there he was on display. He had a great night out! We continue to play that song in his honour.