Why become a member? ×

Bass player wanted for New Model Army

GRAHAM SG1

[quote name='buff' timestamp='1329846883' post='1548475']
Saw them last year after a break of not seeing them for about 10 year's, thought they were as good as when i saw them in the mid 80's. Nelson is a cracking bass player, emailed the info service about the effect's he was using. He emailed me back two day's later. Top guy
[/quote]

And they were...............

Guest subaudio

[quote name='GRAHAM SG1' timestamp='1329905943' post='1549289']
Best of luck subaudio, it would be fantastic if you got the job !

Steve, I like your avatar, one of my favourite bassists was in Dead Kennedys :)
[/quote]

Thanks Graham, I know it's a long shot but had to try :)

• 1 month later...

I was a huge NMA fan, clogs, kit bag, hitched to all the gigs, the whole lot. I tried to get in the band when Jason 'Moose' Harris left, and Nelson got the job. But, life moved on, and I hung up my clogs around '92-'93. I've seen them a hand-full of times in the intervening years. I couldn't help shed a tear when I heard the news that their drummer Rob Heaton had died from pancreatic cancer at the age of 45. He was the nicest guy you could hope to meet, and I've had the pleasure of sharing a beer with him, along with Stuart Morrow, the original NMA bass player, on a summers day on a green in Bradford. Treasured memories.

When I heard the bass position was open, I thought I'd pass on it, Nelson is a great talent and I thought myself not up to scratch any-more. I let go of my fears and demons and emailed them a few weeks past. In the mean-time I put out feelers for a tutor, and thru BC met the wonderful Mr Jake Newman. With Jakes help, I started work on a handful of songs that I thought they could ask for in an audition. They got back to me asking for video's of me playing, and some pictures. I sent them 'White-Coats' and 'Today Is A Good Day'.

On the strength of these I was asked to audition for them last Thursday at their studios in Bradford. I had a week to learn three songs, 'Island', 'Nothing Dies Easy' and 'Get Me Out', plus BVox. None of these had been in the batch I'd been working on, so I had my work cut out. Once again I had the invaluable help of Jake Newman.

I pitched up in Bradford last week, and it was a tough call. We ran through the songs, and I gave it all I could. The audition was with the full band, and I was playing thru a SVT Classic head and 810 cab. It sounded awesome. They thanked me for my time, and said they'd let me know.

Yesterday I got an email from them thanking me, but, alas I'm not going to be the one. I can't deny being a little heart-broken, but did feel I was punching a little above my weight. I also gained much admiration for Nelsons playing, he will be a tough act to follow. I've ruminated about posting the videos of my playing, when I watch them, all I see are the mistakes, but for anyone who is interested, here you go....

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwkTQHu4Yro"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwkTQHu4Yro[/url]

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlilm9FNF6M"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlilm9FNF6M[/url][/size][/font]

I can't begin to tell you how cool it would've been to tell the boss to stick his job, but it was not meant to be. Also big thanks must go to Mr Jake Newman.

However, on Thursday 22nd of March 2012, from 3 to 3.30pm in Bradford, I was the bass player for New Model Army :D

I was also their bass player for half an hour - yesterday afternoon! And alas, I'm not going to be the one, either. Though I'm not sure I could live on a bus with those guys for an extended period of time! They are VERY hardcore! :blink:

Good to see BassChat so well represented at the auditions, though! :lol: Nice work all round!
It was certainly a great experience which will stand me in good stead for my next audition with a name band! *heavy irony*

And now I've got GAS for an SVT Classic and 8 X 10. Again. Bah! <_<

Edit: I'm wondering if any other BassChatters went for it? It would be wild if the successful candidate was a BC-er!!

Edited by discreet

I had a go - but was quietly relieved not to get it! It would mean long periods away from home, which I'd find hard with young family. Can but dream eh. Shame it didn't come up 10 years earlier. I hope they find a superb bass player, so I wont have to beat myself up for not trying a bit harder. Top band.

I think these adverts are more usually to make fans feel better about themselves rather than actually seriously searching for a new bass player. 99 times out of 100 they will pick out a bass player who has recently left another well known band or a pro session player or something. KsE did a similar thing the other month when Howard Jones left. They were "looking for a singer" so they said people could audition if they emailed them. What did they end up doing? What else? They went back to Jesse Leach, of course!

Edited by EdwardHimself

I'm a little worried here. I was also NMA bass player for half an hour yesterday afternoon yet I have not heard anything back yet. My audition went very well and I actually got to play a forth song, "White Light". So I guess no news is good news for me then. Fingers crossed but not expecting to get it.

Wow, this is great, if the successful candidate is a BC member then please remember it was me who posted the vacancy in the first place, autographs and a chance to meet the band when the play down south will be sufficient :)
Best of luck to all, this is one helluva good job !!

[quote name='Linus27' timestamp='1333201746' post='1598677']
I'm a little worried here. I was also NMA bass player for half an hour yesterday afternoon yet I have not heard anything back yet. My audition went very well and I actually got to play a forth song, "White Light". So I guess no news is good news for me then. Fingers crossed but not expecting to get it.
[/quote]
That sounds really promising. Hope you get it!!