Why become a member? ×

A must-have pedals for working bassplayer

Faithless

Hey guys,

I've just got myself a <really huge> PedalTrain SC2 Pedalboard, and I'm thinking how to fill it with pedals.... :)

The thing is that I'm a freelance bassplayer, and I wanted to get myself a pedalboard with 'must-have' pedals.
I already have these:

[b]Volume Pedal;[/b]
[b]Line Selector (for switching between bass and synth)[/b]
[b]EBS Octaver (for having the "B string" at my command)[/b]
[b]Boss TU-2 Tuner;[/b]

I'm thinking of getting a [b]compressor[/b], but.... That's about the last important pedal I can think of...
Have I missed something? Mind you, I don't need any 'flashy' or specific effect pedals like distortions, flangers, choruses, synths (as I play a real synth bass keyboard) or anything like that..

I'm waiting for your suggestions on this, guys :)

Doh, I honestly think I've got myself a too big pedalboard...

easy
L

[quote name='Faithless' timestamp='1329410921' post='1542106']
I don't need any 'flashy' or specific effect pedals like distortions, flangers, choruses, synths or anything like that..
Doh, I honestly think I've got myself a too big pedalboard...
[/quote]
I agree.

Apart from a compressor, everything else i would have suggested you say you don't need... It depends on the gig doesn't it?
Thats why I have a Zoom, the fx aren't as good as individual pedals, and they are not really things I think I need either.
But if I suddenly find I need a Flanger / distortion etc. etc. for a gig, I have a passable version of them all right there.

A good envelope filter would help cop a synth vibe when mixed with the octave pedal. Yes you play synth, but cool to switch it in and out for a few bars in the middle of an electric bass tune. My favourite, and I've tried a few expensive ones, is the cheap and nasty Electro Harmonix Mini Q-Tron. There's just something wonderfully stinky about that I can't find anywhere else. The Micro Q-Tron is okay, but not as nasty.

Bit of overdrive, maybe? As a freelance bass player myself, I'd like to just chime in with my opinion...

I was like you - I wanted a board with all the "Essential" pedals that I could fit on it, just for the sake of being "versatile" and having all these sounds at my toes. But eventually, I realised that at most gigs, the only pedals on were the ones that made up my "Core" sound. Which was a little bit of Overdrive, and some Compression, my Sadowsky preamp/DI, and my Tuner. I occasionally got to use a bit of Fuzz, and maybe some Filter, but the fact was, I was dragging a Pedaltrain PT2 with 13 pedals on it around, to use pretty much 4 or 5 pedals, most of which stayed on all the time anyway! This will be the case for 80-90% of the gigs you get - There just isn't a demand for a bass player with lots of effects (Unless you join a Dubstep/Drum and Bass group - in which case ignore me :))

So recently I sold the PT-2, and I've decided to go with a couple of Pedaltrain Nanos. That way I can have a little board with the essentials (The "Core" setup I mentioned, Tuner, Preamp/DI, Compressor, Overdrive), then another board for the funkier stuff (Octave, Fuzz, Filter), then another for Modulation (Analogman Chorus, Line 6 Echo Park, Atomic Echo Clone etc). I think it's a much more efficient setup, as you can choose which pedals you want for which gig, without disassembling anything, but also without having to lug a huge board to a gig, only to use 2 pedals on it. And if you're taking a Synth keyboard to gigs as well, it would be much easier to take 2 or 3 small boards than 1 big heavy one!

Here is a picture of my board so you can see the size - Perfect for a Modular setup, where you can just join 2 or 3 boards together, have all the pedals you need, and not take up much floor space!

The good thing is, is that you'll most probably fit 4 pedals on it. Most Daisy Chains have 5 outputs, so you can literally take the last output to power the next board, and so on. So i'll be powering 3 or 4 boards, off of one power supply, with no hassle, and it will be all neat and tidy :)

Edited by Higgie

Nice idea but is a Pedaltrain PT2 really that hard to carry around?

With my current setup I can get in and out of the gig in one trip and really don't feel that I would be benefitting too much by having a lighter board with me. It just seems a bit of a fag to have to split and re-wire boards for the sake of saving some weight.

[quote name='Higgie' timestamp='1329412528' post='1542149']
Bit of overdrive, maybe? As a freelance bass player myself, I'd like to just chime in with my opinion...

I was like you - I wanted a board with all the "Essential" pedals that I could fit on it, just for the sake of being "versatile" and having all these sounds at my toes. But eventually, I realised that at most gigs, the only pedals on were the ones that made up my "Core" sound. Which was a little bit of Overdrive, and some Compression, my Sadowsky preamp/DI, and my Tuner. I occasionally got to use a bit of Fuzz, and maybe some Filter, but the fact was, I was dragging a Pedaltrain PT2 with 13 pedals on it around, to use pretty much 4 or 5 pedals, most of which stayed on all the time anyway! This will be the case for 80-90% of the gigs you get - There just isn't a demand for a bass player with lots of effects (Unless you join a Dubstep/Drum and Bass group - in which case ignore me :))

So recently I sold the PT-2, and I've decided to go with a couple of Pedaltrain Nanos. That way I can have a little board with the essentials (The "Core" setup I mentioned, Tuner, Preamp/DI, Compressor, Overdrive), then another board for the funkier stuff (Octave, Fuzz, Filter), then another for Modulation (Analogman Chorus, Line 6 Echo Park, Atomic Echo Clone etc). I think it's a much more efficient setup, as you can choose which pedals you want for which gig, without disassembling anything, but also without having to lug a huge board to a gig, only to use 2 pedals on it. And if you're taking a Synth keyboard to gigs as well, it would be much easier to take 2 or 3 small boards than 1 big heavy one!

Here is a picture of my board so you can see the size - Perfect for a Modular setup, where you can just join 2 or 3 boards together, have all the pedals you need, and not take up much floor space!

The good thing is, is that you'll most probably fit 4 pedals on it. Most Daisy Chains have 5 outputs, so you can literally take the last output to power the next board, and so on. So i'll be powering 3 or 4 boards, off of one power supply, with no hassle, and it will be all neat and tidy :)
[/quote]

I see what you mean, and I know a PT2 fully loaded isn't THAT heavy, but it's more a case of only using 2 or 3 pedals, but you have to take the whole board because they're on it. I'd much prefer to have my bare essentials board, and then just add other little boards on when needed than drag a big board around! Horses for courses etc..

Also, it's not really splitting and re-wiring...You just connect the out of the first board to the in of the second, and then plug the daisy chains together. Then just your input and output cables like normal and you're done!

Edited by Higgie

For me the worse thing about buying any new pedal is having to re-arrange and re-wire everything, it is just such a pain in the arse job to do!! I think that what you are doing makes sense if playing for lots of different bands but even carrying multiple pedal boards is not much fun either.

I love my chocca block PT2 it really pissed of our guitarist every time I get it out as I have lots more pedals then he does!!

I would love an all singing all dancing GigRig pedalboard but I think that that really is over the top.

In terms of the OP I would also suggest the Boss OC2 and a Chorus of some description, Compression seems to be only required if you are slapping a lot IMO. Filter wise I would be with the Aguilar Filter Twin or the 3 Leaf GR, love my MuTron but big and heavy so not an essential pedal by any means. What about the Akai Deep Impact for synth sounds?

The boards themselves are so small that it's not a problem! I know what you mean about re-wiring when you get a new pedal, but I'm honestly very happy with my current arsenal of pedals, and since everything is wired in a linear fashion to make using the multi-board setup easier, changing things out really isn't that hard. Well, using Pedalboard Tape means the hardest thing about the process is getting the pedal off of the board :P

It really depends on what style(s) of music you play. If you're freelancing for rock/pop type bands, then what you already have would do with maybe an overdrive for a grittier sound for rock stuff or a chorus for parts that need a little thickening up.
If you're playing funk or acid jazz then filter would be a good addition & probably a fuzz too.

I think for doing various stuff, a good multi FX unit at the ready might be the clever option.

Ha ha - must try that Pedalboard Tape then.

[quote name='Higgie' timestamp='1329414727' post='1542196']
The boards themselves are so small that it's not a problem! I know what you mean about re-wiring when you get a new pedal, but I'm honestly very happy with my current arsenal of pedals, and since everything is wired in a linear fashion to make using the multi-board setup easier, changing things out really isn't that hard. Well, using Pedalboard Tape means the hardest thing about the process is getting the pedal off of the board :P
[/quote]

I reckon it's handy to have an amp sim / DI option so you can go DI into the FOH desk and get an 'amp' sound if the gig setup calls for that.
eg Sansamp BDDI ( I have one ) or whatever your preference - DHA / Alembic / whatever - but the point being to have an 'amp' sound rather than an overt overdrive / distortion ( though they are , of course , strictly speaking distortion effects ) and should provide a low impedance balanced ( interference and ground loop defeating ) output if you're sending it to the desk.

As a freelancer, for me my essentials are....
Volume pedal, Sans Amp DI, Tuner.

I have the rest, Chorus, Octave pedal etc.
But will only take or use them if i know they are [really] needed.
I keep it lean and clean and as less fussy as i can,
mainly because its then a hassle free time with the engineer.

Garry

Thanks for the input, guys...
Though I've never found myself needing a Chorus or Drive/Distortion/Fuss kind of thing, I think I'll go for some sort of DI/preamp, like Sansamp, or maybe [SFX].

I've got one suggestion from Jake Brown, and I wondered why didnt nobody mention SFX Thumpinator? I'm dying to order one (as they come up for sale VERY rarely), so I've got two things to sort out in total.

Thanks!
Laimis

[quote name='Faithless' timestamp='1329493394' post='1543362']
I've got one suggestion from Jake Brown, and I wondered why didnt nobody mention SFX Thumpinator? I'm dying to order one (as they come up for sale VERY rarely), so I've got two things to sort out in total.

Thanks!
Laimis
[/quote]

Not everyone believes they are worth the price, there has been massive threads about it recently.

It works for me, and does what i bought it for. With the price, there's no other product doing the same job in such a small unit, the price is the price.

Volume pedal, tuner & reliable DI box is tbh the essentials.

Synth pedals? No need, you (& I) play keys & own key synths. Switch between them is effortless if properly set up with volume & patches.

Never been asked/or had to use chorus.
Never actually had the need for a overdrive/distortion.

IMO, an EBS Microbass II, tuner & volume pedal will cover all your needs.

I know thats the EBS is the only thing on my shopping list atm.

[quote name='JakeBrownBass' timestamp='1329495040' post='1543398']
Not everyone believes they are worth the price, there has been massive threads about it recently.
[/quote]

Some doubt about whether you would need one for a 4-string, though useful for a 5, apparently.
I only play fours, so I dunno...

I always have something that will give me a little bit of grit or 'tube' warmth, though.

Edited by discreet

As another full timer - I always take a pre/ di like the m80, tuner and a light gritty drive like the hardwire tube od or my dod fx91, although it depends on the gig

I do tend to build a pedal rig according to the band- one of my bands is pretty much bass >amp, whereas most of the others require a little more 'interesting' sounds

What exactly does the Thumpinator do? I am struggling to understand!

[quote name='JakeBrownBass' timestamp='1329495040' post='1543398']

It works for me, and does what i bought it for. With the price, there's no other product doing the same job in such a small unit, the price is the price.

Volume pedal, tuner & reliable DI box is tbh the essentials.

Synth pedals? No need, you (& I) play keys & own key synths. Switch between them is effortless if properly set up with volume & patches.

Never been asked/or had to use chorus.
Never actually had the need for a overdrive/distortion.

IMO, an EBS Microbass II, tuner & volume pedal will cover all your needs.

I know thats the EBS is the only thing on my shopping list atm.
[/quote]

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' timestamp='1329495765' post='1543416']
What exactly does the Thumpinator do? I am struggling to understand!
[/quote]

It's a very steep highpass/lowcut filter. Essentially cutting all the sub sonic frequencies that either you can't hear/your amp tries to amplify/cabs can't reproduce.

Edit:

Regarding the whole 4 & 5 string thing, the cut off frequency on the standard thumpinator has been tailored so its just below the B string. Meaning when using a 4, you still have all the frequencies between the E & B string.

Now if Max had made it tailored to 4 string players originally, it would kill the B string for fivers.

It does work on 4 strings but makes sense to be tailored for a 5 string.

Now in an ideal world, a thumpinator with a 4/5 string switch on it would be amazing, but i'm sure if that was easily viable, Max would have done it.

Edited by JakeBrownBass